Anyone done any good?

Guest flightline

Guest flightline

I haven`t been out for ages as it`s difficult to know where the birds will be. Driving earlier in the week down to Bristol when it was windy I noticed two or three concentrations of birds on and over what looked like barley stubble. Seems also the birds are beginning to flock. What`s your experience been recently?

I have had two enjoyable sessions this last week, one on recently sowed rape, the other on recently sowed wheat.

The wind certainly kept the pigeons on the move.

There is so much choice in our area at the moment, on calmer days, the birds seem to be staying put, on the undisturbed fields.

But there does seem a lot of birds about, so it could be an interesting Winter, when the food choices dry up. :lol:

Hi there (first post)

Just found this forum.

A couple of mates where out last Monday shooting over a bean field and shot 229 then the field was ploughed. We where out on Sat. and shot 86 in 4 hours on crop silage found the field by accident and it was blue. My mate is away back today as the field was blue on sunday (can't shoot) and I am stuck in work but its raining so I think they are safe today.

P.S. A lot of young birds v.young maybe 40% of them

tried shooting on some new rape ,had been alot of pigeons feeding it shot it on saturday got 7. on sunday shot some drilled wheat got 137 mostly young ones. I h

hope the rape shooting will get better.

PS flightline the rota coy I brought off you has just chewed the gearbox up, but it was still a bargin cheers

John

Guest flightline
tried shooting on some new rape ,had been alot of pigeons feeding it shot it on saturday got 7. on sunday shot some drilled wheat got 137 mostly young ones. I h

hope the rape shooting will get better.

PS flightline the rota coy I brought off you has just chewed the gearbox up, but it was still a bargin cheers

John

Sorry to hear bout the gearbox Johnny. But you had some good sport with it while it lasted I hope?

:lol: Gentlemen, where are all the young birds this year ?

Atleast down in this area (hertfordshire/Potters Bar) few are to be seen.

Only one shot this month was whilst out sniping rabbits with a rifle.

Also for this immediate area very few of our farmers are bothering with oilseed rape this year due to lack of immediate moisture in the soil.

I hope this doesn't effect the winter mortality rate as everything else round here is normally winter wheat. What do you think?

I was out this morning,I was on a field of barly stubble.Nice day for it and out early to catch passing birds like b4.The first shot I could have had after ages was a cracking shot,just as I was raising the gun I realised it was sparrohawk which nearly touched my shell decoy and veered off at the last minute into the tree above my hide then flew off.So I though that would kill any chances of a shot for a while and I was right,1hr later flighting birds too high then 2hrs later 3 feral all never made it to the ground and bang.So pretty much a morning with no action,I seem to be seeing a lot of smaller groups than a week ago and now they are feeding on beech mast.

I need to get a new bloody seat as my butt got sore on that old barrel,I was looking at the folding deckchair from argos for £8,is it any good?

clanchief :lol:

Balloch,Scotland

The birds around here are really starting to group up now. We've got snow forcast for the next couple of days on the high ground.

There are still alot using the stubbles and one of our farms has some peas/wheat planted in several fields as set aside, the wheat is getting black and is nearly flat, attracting some large flocks of pigeons.

seem to be plenly of pigeons round way or there were. last saturday me and my mate shot 227 this was an unbeliveable day and a personel best for me and today from the same hide another 190 mostly young ones ,on old bean ground drilled with wheat. truly great sport.

John