Shooting terminology - or rather, incorrect shooting terminology

JonathanL

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that expanding projectiles were labeled under the term "lead exposed core" and subsequently banned by the Hague convention for use in warfare.

this is the sort of thing i was on about ,i did see a tv program about it but i cant find it

http://en.wikipedia....ser_Safety_Slug

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/frangible.htm

Edited by pigeon pete

Well I think you are being slightly pedantic.

However, I do feel that the quality of English language used is slipping somewhat, not just with shooting terminology.

Poor spelling, poor grammar, wrong terminology and the use of 'text speak' are (to me) very annoying.

I'm not saying I get it right all the time, and sometimes using the correct terminology complicates matters when dealing with people who only know the wrong stuff, but I also feel that more effort should be made.

Some of the posts on here are so unreadable I've given up trying, they have such poor spelling, grammar and terminology I can't do it. I understand some people are dyslexic, but a little effort, and the use of a spell checker, would help us shooters look like an educated bunch of people, rather than a bunch of idiots. It would certainly not do us any harm to try.

I always use reticle in my articles but one editor always alters it to reticule, the other leaves it alone. I believe both words are used in various written locations and both appear in the dictionary so i dont worry about it.

As for the other complaints, the 'head' thing will never go away partly due to the requirements of written documentation regarding their usage/ownership/licence terminology etc and unfortunately im suspicious it derives from police usage that has filtered through dealers and become an accepted term. You will notice it is a term rarely if EVER used by an American who's life has not been affected by match/expanding differentiation issues.

At the end of the day whats the point caring, judging by a lot of the written language used sll over the internet and forums, our language is rapidly evolving (in a very negative way?)

Agree,our modern educators and their trendy techniques have much to

answer for !

the first guns on ships were very old ships

I fail to see your point here. Smooth-bore guns haven't been used on ships in a very long time.

rifle was a musket that had rifling ,thus called a rifle

You said that because a firearm bore was rifled then the firearm was a rifle. That is untrue.

expanding ammunition is on my FAC not bullets

It doesn't matter. Just because it says something on your FAC does not mean it is automatically correct. Besides, your certificate will also refer to the missiles for expanding ammo, which is correct.

ballistic tips are well none

That doesn't even make sense.

and also VMAX ,,,

What about them?

lead tin composite was designed for airline Marshall's and close hostage work ,the projectile will fragment inside the target and cause no penetration

What is the point of a bullet which doesn't penetrate anything? Defeats the object, surely?

Barnes grenades do the same

A non-penetrating bullet?

please try not to make me sound out to not know about this ,you should do a bit more home work first , :good:

You clearly don't know a great deal about the subject.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

Who care so long as you can understand it

The whole point is though that in many cases you can't understand what people are talking about if they don't use the correct terminology. Someone else has already pointed out that they have heard people use the word 'bullet' when what they actually wanted to buy was ammunition.

J.

i was not on about HAGUE CONVENTIONS ,i was on about the use of safety ammo after 911

The Glaser Safety Slug has been around since the 1970's. Frangible bulleted ammo is nothing new - Annie Oakley and other trick shooters used frangible ammo over 100 years ago. Fairground ammo was very often of frangible bullet type going back many, many years.

J.

Well I think you are being slightly pedantic.

However, I do feel that the quality of English language used is slipping somewhat, not just with shooting terminology.

Poor spelling, poor grammar, wrong terminology and the use of 'text speak' are (to me) very annoying.

I'm not saying I get it right all the time, and sometimes using the correct terminology complicates matters when dealing with people who only know the wrong stuff, but I also feel that more effort should be made.

Some of the posts on here are so unreadable I've given up trying, they have such poor spelling, grammar and terminology I can't do it. I understand some people are dyslexic, but a little effort, and the use of a spell checker, would help us shooters look like an educated bunch of people, rather than a bunch of idiots. It would certainly not do us any harm to try.

I entirely agree with this. As mentioned previously, this seems to be a particularly British thing and, unfortunaely, seems to be rather common among shooters for some reason. You don't see posters on US discussion boards with such a bad grasp of English or resorting to use ridiculously abbreviated 'text' speak.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

The thing is, adults read by instantly recognising the shape of the word on the page (or screen) as opposed to laboriously reading each letter like young children do.

This is the reason why misspelled words, and worse, abbreviations and lazy 'text' type writing are so very tedious and annoying. Those who defend it are trying to defend the indefensible.

Insisting that someone tries a little harder to comply with the conventions of their own written language is hardly pedantry.

Thought you'd appreciate this appaling example from a recent thread:

Ok, this will probably **** off loads of people and will doubtless get me accused (again) of being a pointless pedant, but here goes.

Over the past couple of years or so, I've noticed an ever increasing trend towards the incorrect and confusing use of terminology among many shooters. The classic, of course, is the use of the term 'heads' or 'bullet heads' in reference to bullets. That has been widepread for a long time with even RFD's using it in their adverts in shooting mags. It's even used in trade price lists. I was talking to a guy yesterday who said he'd recently heard it used by a regional head of a large shooting sports organisation .

Ok
[OK is usually written as an abbreviation (in capitals)]
-
[although the dash would suffice, I feel a comma starts the piece off a little less abruptly]
this will probably **** off loads of people and will doubtless get me accused (again) of being a pointeless
[pointless]
pedant but,
[place the comma before the word but to prevent the previous clause ending in a preposition]
here goes.

Over the past couple of years or so
[insert
comma]
I've noticed an ever increasing trend towards
[insert
the
]
incorrect and confusing use of terminology among many shooters. The classic, of course, is the use of the term 'heads' or 'bullet heads' in reference to bullets. That has been widepread for a long time with even RFD's [there is no need for an apostrophe when pluralising initialisms or acronyms where its use doesn't leave things ambiguous] using it in their adverts in the
[the use of
the
here is superfluous]
shooting mags. It's even used in trade price lists. I was talking to a guy yesterday who said he'd heard it used by a regional head of a large shooting sports organisation recently
[place adjectives next to the applicable word]

People may accuse me of pedantry, but I do think that the incorrect use of language can often make some shooters appear a bit thick :smartass:.

Caveat

My version may not even be deemed correct by some, but isn't that the point? English like all language is constantly evolving. We can all try to better ourselves and improve our communication skills, but the alternative is not to communicate at all. I really don't think we want that. I suggest that you police the web and point out every mistake you find. I'm sure you'll achieve inner peace by doing that. I know I have.

Oh, and by the way, I won't be available for responses as I'm going out on the pidgons with my 12 gage Lamber wareing camelflage.

Thought you'd appreciate this appaling example from a recent thread:

Ok, this will probably **** off loads of people and will doubtless get me accused (again) of being a pointless pedant, but here goes.

Over the past couple of years or so, I've noticed an ever increasing trend towards the incorrect and confusing use of terminology among many shooters. The classic, of course, is the use of the term 'heads' or 'bullet heads' in reference to bullets. That has been widepread for a long time with even RFD's using it in their adverts in shooting mags. It's even used in trade price lists. I was talking to a guy yesterday who said he'd recently heard it used by a regional head of a large shooting sports organisation .

Ok
[OK is usually written as an abbreviation (in capitals)]
-
[although the dash would suffice, I feel a comma starts the piece off a little less abruptly]
this will probably **** off loads of people and will doubtless get me accused (again) of being a pointeless
[pointless]
pedant but,
[place the comma before the word but to prevent the previous clause ending in a preposition]
here goes.

Over the past couple of years or so
[insert
comma]
I've noticed an ever increasing trend towards
[insert
the
]
incorrect and confusing use of terminology among many shooters. The classic, of course, is the use of the term 'heads' or 'bullet heads' in reference to bullets. That has been widepread for a long time with even RFD's [there is no need for an apostrophe when pluralising initialisms or acronyms where its use doesn't leave things ambiguous] using it in their adverts in the
[the use of
the
here is superfluous]
shooting mags. It's even used in trade price lists. I was talking to a guy yesterday who said he'd heard it used by a regional head of a large shooting sports organisation recently
[place adjectives next to the applicable word]

People may accuse me of pedantry, but I do think that the incorrect use of language can often make some shooters appear a bit thick :smartass:.

Caveat

My version may not even be deemed correct by some, but isn't that the point? English like all language is constantly evolving. We can all try to better ourselves and improve our communication skills, but the alternative is not to communicate at all. I really don't think we want that. I suggest that you police the web and point out every mistake you find. I'm sure you'll achieve inner peace by doing that. I know I have.

Oh, and by the way, I won't be available for responses as I'm going out on the pidgons with my 12 gage Lamber wareing camelflage.

Back of the net.

The Glaser Safety Slug has been around since the 1970's. Frangible bulleted ammo is nothing new - Annie Oakley and other trick shooters used frangible ammo over 100 years ago. Fairground ammo was very often of frangible bullet type going back many, many years.

J.

i know that but i first heard about them just after 911