Gundog indoors?

hedd-wyn

Hi guys

I'm sure this has been covered, but couldn't for the life of me find it anywhere so maybe a link would answer my question.

I've just been accepted on our local shoot and if I am to continue my membership I will need to get a gun-dog within the next two seasons... or I'm out.

Watching the dogs working on Saturday was a treat in itself and have spoken to the other half and she's given me the thumbs.

I'm in a bit of a pickle whether to house the dog indoors or to build some sort of run in the back garden or keep the dog indoors with our other dog. My only concern really is the size of my garden (not exactly massive)

So would I be able to home a working dog indoors or not?

I'm sure this question comes up quite often.

Thanks

Hedd

Hi guys

I'm sure this has been covered, but couldn't for the life of me find it anywhere so maybe a link would answer my question.

I've just been accepted on our local shoot and if I am to continue my membership I will need to get a gun-dog within the next two seasons... or I'm out.

Watching the dogs working on Saturday was a treat in itself and have spoken to the other half and she's given me the thumbs.

I'm in a bit of a pickle whether to house the dog indoors or to build some sort of run in the back garden or keep the dog indoors with our other dog. My only concern really is the size of my garden (not exactly massive)

So would I be able to home a working dog indoors or not?

I'm sure this question comes up quite often.

Thanks

Hedd

It has been covered but ill still tell you what I and my friends do, I do a lot of wildfowling, rough shooting, beating and picking up, if you saw the state of my dogs when they come back from the marsh you would think twice about having them indoors but, if you have a type of out house or bit where it doesn't matter if it gets mucky then it does not make much difference IMO, but I've friends who have there dogs inside but they have to wash and dry them before there woman let them in the house but everybody's situation is different and if the only way you can have a dog is inside then do it what ever it takes...

Are you having a pup or getting an older dog?

Are you having a pup or getting an older dog?

Not sure yet Trigger, got some really good advice off the older boys on the shoot and they told me to get a pup and then train it myself. They even offered to help me out.

It will defiantly be a Springier Spaniel either way.

Mine is inside and outside, he mixes well with the other dogs and is great around the children. To be honest if you came to my house and met him you would not believe he is a gundog, but take him out and he knows it is time for work and is a completely different dog.

Do whatever you think is best, either way the most important thing is establishing a bond so he/she wants to work for you :good:

Best of luck mate

Mine is inside and outside, he mixes well with the other dogs and is great around the children. To be honest if you came to my house and met him you would not believe he is a gundog, but take him out and he knows it is time for work and is a completely different dog.

Do whatever you think is best, either way the most important thing is establishing a bond so he/she wants to work for you :good:

Best of luck mate

Superb, what breed is he if you mind me asking?

Mine (Springer) lives in with an older boarder collie. She is a gundog and family pet. She gets on with any dog and great with the kids. In the house and out on family walks she is the family dog and get a gun out she is out and out gundog. I find she is better behaved on a walk than just about any other dog we come across because of the training she has. My daughter even won a obedience test at a local dog show with her. All my gundogs have lived in with no problems a outside tape can't help with.

Funny thing about this post is when in the house my spaniel is shared between the family and treats us all the same :) when a gun is around she only has eye's for me and the lad and will work as well for us both ;) so yes you can keep a gun dog indoors .

Biggest regret ? getting her spayed as i have a list of people wanting a pup :(

Do you want another dog ?

Being kicked out of a shoot would not make me want another even if you get one very soon what's to say it will be any good our ready for next season don't be rushed into taking it shooting or you will ruin it

There are hundreds of gun dogs/pets housed indoors its the training that goes into them that makes the difference

I would get lots of books and DVDs on the subject prior to making any decisions

David lisset DVDs and Simon tyres are two must DVDs I would highly recommend you look up

Do you want another dog ?

Being kicked out of a shoot would not make me want another even if you get one very soon what's to say it will be any good our ready for next season don't be rushed into taking it shooting or you will ruin it

There are hundreds of gun dogs/pets housed indoors its the training that goes into them that makes the difference

I would get lots of books and DVDs on the subject prior to making any decisions

David lisset DVDs and Simon tyres are two must DVDs I would highly recommend you look up

Yes Tom, I have been thinking about getting one way before joining the shoot.

I feel that I'm missing out on the whole experience.

I'm on my fourth dog and they have all been kept inside. Luckily I have an outhouse in which, I can give them a hose down should a bit of cleaning be required. They have then been kept in the kitchen by the heater until they've dried off a bit and been fed. Then they are pets.

Another reason for keeping the dog inside is the amount of dogs that are going missing from back garden kennels. A friend of mine had four dogs taken from a purpose built secure kennel with run. His dogs have never turned up dead or alive and all of them were chipped. With the basic cost of a dog and the time involved in training it is no wonder that this is happening.

Edited by fortune

Why on earth would you want to be a member of a shoot like this?

Sounds like a bunch of tossers to me.

It is a great feeling watching your dog work, and when he brings you the first "real life" retrieve it is a moment to treasure :good: . Go for it mate, there is always someone's brain to pick on here if and when you have any niggles in the training.

That is so true, but also learn to laugh when as my dog did the other week make a big cock up. Mine managed to retrieve to my hand a very nice white cock bird without a shot being fired, that is going to cost me double the normal fine of a bottle of gin.

Why on earth would you want to be a member of a shoot like this?

Sounds like a bunch of tossers to me.

I was thinking the same. Surely they'd have a dog you could borrow?

To the OP - if I was closer I have one that needs some work that you could've borrowed.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I probably worded the original post wrong. What I should've said was that 'I need a dog' in order to stay on the shoot.

They really are top bunch of blokes and I'm chuffed to bits that I've been accepted.

There were only two guns on the shoot without dogs, the other gun's dog will be ready next season so that kind of leaves me on my own.

I knew I was going to get a dog eventually, it was just a matter of when.

Good point from fortune, there are a lot of dogs being nicked round our parts and that is something to be considered :good:

ps thank you ETO,very kind of you.

Hi Carwyn. No prob in having a gundog inside mate. I could not be without a gundog, best part of going shooting having a good dog working for you.

Only tip i can give you is buy a well bred pup,and don't be in a hurry to go on a shoot with it. This is where most go wrong, take him on his or her own until you get it steady.

Go for it mate a ess will be just the right dog for you.Plenty of good lads on here for advise,you got my number if i can help you with training tip.ATB Terry