Gundog indoors?

hedd-wyn

hedd-wyn, get yourself a dog and keep it inside,if you wish. There are as many keep their dogs inside as outside without any problems with training.

Just to clear up a point for those that are not as well informed, it is a condition of joining some DIY syndicates that the gun has a dog to help with the beating and picking up.

Smaller syndicates often have difficulty in attracting beaters etc as there will be no payment for their work, other than a brace of pheasants, so it`s essential the guns have dogs. Borrowing a dog is not an option. I have several dogs but only have one that would work for another person.

Get your dog hedd-wyn, shooting for me ,is not the same without one.As Silver pigeon 3 says, the satisfaction of seeing your dog complete it`s first retrieve on your shoot will compare with the best shot you have ever made.

Bill

Bill

If you keep it inside your house might get a bit trashed in the first 9 months :)

I've got a black lab and he wasn't too bad but did chew a chair leg or two. Also the smell, dirt and constant..and I DO mean constant hoovering is a pain in the backside! Then if no one is at home your neighbour might suffer whining or barking at first.

My advice is to make sure you have definitely got time for the dog and don't go hard in to the training at first. Concentrate on a good bond and basic stuff especially being left alone for increasing amounts of times etc

I have bred well over 100 dogs and have advised everyone who bought from me that they should not leave a puppy alone in your house. Anyone who does deserves the consequences.If you need to leave the puppy for an hour or two buy a crate and leave the dog there until you return. I would buy one anyway as they make a good indoor kennel and train the dog to use it as his own space.

I dont see an issue with a shoot saying you must have a dog within 2yrs. If non dog owners were brought in without this for a period you could become dog short on shoot day before long. Some wildfowling clubs say no dog no shooting.

My dogs go outdoors these days but come into the house for shorter periods say in the evening after meal time and if its consistantly raining heavy and i struggle to spend adequate time outdoors. No way could i let a gundog indoors after work as they will be full of mud etc. wouldnt keep one indoors full time as its too warm. How well would you perform in your indoor clothes on a freezing cold January marsh? they do aclimatise and grow a coat to deal with the conditions prevailing. With the fire burning i could maybee kill the lab through over heating it. Sometimes outside dogs need to come inside in the past i have found it a pain if the dog aint used to the rules indoors so consider this

I have bred well over 100 dogs and have advised everyone who bought from me that they should not leave a puppy alone in your house. Anyone who does deserves the consequences.If you need to leave the puppy for an hour or two buy a crate and leave the dog there until you return. I would buy one anyway as they make a good indoor kennel and train the dog to use it as his own space.

Yep I used a crate. As long as they've been exercised and allowed to go to the loo I would say they're good for a fair bit longer than a couple of hours. Mine spends most of the day on his bed anyway.

Well I keep mine inside and even though he isn't worked yet - we are thinking of a kennel outside for when he does this:

406350_10151792100648912_2013454620_n.jpg

547232_10151792101253912_2079414193_n.jpg

404105_10151792101913912_1965662440_n.jpg

So even if you do keep him indoors, I'd have a kennel or space for them to go after walks and work - especially if it smells of rotten eggs.

Hi Carwyn. No prob in having a gundog inside mate. I could not be without a gundog, best part of going shooting having a good dog working for you.

Only tip i can give you is buy a well bred pup,and don't be in a hurry to go on a shoot with it. This is where most go wrong, take him on his or her own until you get it steady.

Go for it mate a ess will be just the right dog for you.Plenty of good lads on here for advise,you got my number if i can help you with training tip.ATB Terry

Thanks Terry, you're a top bloke and talk sense as usual. I'l let you know how I get on :good:

To be fair if a dog works for you all day in ****ty conditions, then a 5 minute shower is not asking to much is it :innocent:

yeah, if the shower is on the drive and you fancy doing it at 2am after a moonflight. personally i should rather towel the dog off well for the second time and put it in the kennel

this is where having a pickup comes in handy filthy dog goes in the back with depending on conditions towels / carpet and you take out when dry and clean. Mine the mud just seems to fall off once she beds down and its dry. You can use straw as well if required then out she comes into the kitchen on a stone floor. easy to keep clean.