People saying they will use shotgun to defend themselves

b16jus

After the last arrests re shooting a burgler and people saying they wouldnt think twice in using there shotgun got me thinking.

Personally i would find it very very hard to make the decision to actually shoot someone but maby under rage it would be easier.

So my question is, would it be easier to have some blank cartridges to fire as the way i see it the noise and flash but be enought to make prob 90% of burglers to run ok there is always a exception but surly a couple of blanks shot off would be safer and easier.

Can you buy blank 12 gauge cartridges ?

J

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire a shotgun blank into someones face at close range and they will not bother you again.

As always all this talk of.... I would kill the ****** is generally macho bravado!

Many on here haven't even got a gun and even if they had they would **** themselves if they heard a burgler.

If you get a gun out and point it at someone be prepared to use it properly or lose, and then what, they beat you up, or kill you, AND nick a gun!

You shouldn't use a gun unless you are in fear of your life, if you fired a blank at somebody it would be pretty easy to argue that you weren't in fear of your life, alternatively you could argue that you used the minimum force needed to stop the attack - I wouldn't want to take a chance on which way that would go in court.

I reckon a couple of loud verbal warnings first is a minimum before you even think about pulling a trigger.

Am I the only one here old enough to remember the sting of a charge of rocksalt from a game keeper's shotgun. not deadly but certainly discouraging :hmm: :hmm: :D :D :lol: :lol:

It stings like hell, backs of legs and backside. You think your gona die, lol but you dont go back again.

If you have time to get out of bed, fetch the keys, open the safe and then load the gun before challenging the burglars and they are still there waiting I would be surprised. Much easier to dial 999 and tell plod there is someone in your house and they will come round quick as a flash, plod love those calls as they are as rare as rocking horse **** and will result in half the station turning out.

When you put the phone down I would turn on the lights and make some noise, then worry about something close to hand like a cricket bat or whatever. I wouldn't recommend challenging the burglars as you don't know who they are, what they have, how many there are, what they have taken, etc etc etc, just look after wifey,and the kids, no need to get killed with your own kitchen knife Or have your gun taken from you when you find you can't pull the trigger or didn't see his mate behind u.

If however u happened to be cleaning your trusty pump action at 3am after a late night shoot, well as the judge Said, its there problem and the Chance they take....

If you have time to get out of bed, fetch the keys, open the safe and then load the gun before challenging the burglars and they are still there waiting I would be surprised. Much easier to dial 999 and tell plod there is someone in your house and they will come round quick as a flash, plod love those calls as they are as rare as rocking horse **** and will result in half the station turning out.

When you put the phone down I would turn on the lights and make some noise, then worry about something close to hand like a cricket bat or whatever. I wouldn't recommend challenging the burglars as you don't know who they are, what they have, how many there are, what they have taken, etc etc etc, just look after wifey,and the kids, no need to get killed with your own kitchen knife Or have your gun taken from you when you find you can't pull the trigger or didn't see his mate behind u.

If however u happened to be cleaning your trusty pump action at 3am after a late night shoot, well as the judge Said, its there problem and the Chance they take....

Is this from your own experience?

My own experiences tell me that this is utter rubbish, the only time they come quickly in such situations is where a firearm has first been used to defend someone, when this happens they arrive very quickly - which is strange because the incident is usually resolved by then anyway. But, just for a phone call saying someone is here breaking in and stealing my stuff? They couldn't give a damn.

Now, I'm not suggesting for one moment that anyone should take out a firearm to defend themselves, however to think that it's possible to put a blanket statement out that it's not possible to get out a gun and load it before the police arrive is daft. For many, the gun is in their bedroom, the keys next to the bed, and the carts next to the cabinet. I think a lot of people could have a gun loaded in under 20 seconds if they tried.

In fact (and again I'm not suggesting I would take the shotgun route) but by the time I'd struggled with my phone to dial 999 (touchscreen phones while not wearing glasses aren't always easy!) many people probably would have been able to get the shotgun out.

Again, I'm not suggesting I or anyone else would or should take this route, but it's easy to see how in some circumstances other options could be thin on the ground.

Edited by bedwards1966

I agree saying i wouldnt think twice and actually doing it are totally different, and to be honest id rather fire a couple of blank shots to scare them off and worst case if they attempt to come up i then have to make the decision to either use a live round or use the gun as a bat.

BUT id like to think the blank going of would rid all but the most hardend burgler.

Also then no ( or less ) issues with police

J

I think the majority of scrotes won't hang about to see if it was a blank or not, they've been rumbled, Plod is en route and they will normally leg it. However if they keep coming then you know you have serious trouble on your hands, they know there is a gun and they don't care.

While it is an extremely unlikely scenario for almost everyone on here, if you do go down the route of using a gun do two things. Make sure you get them first, and only have 2 cartridges available and make sure YOU fire both of them if plan A goes wrong.

In the real world if you decide to take any form of weapon in to an "adversarial confrontation" be 100% certain you can use it, have the determination to do so and the resolve to fully carry out the task and retain the weapon. Otherwise expect to be on the receiving end yourself.

There are enough cases of people defending their homes with "normal" items becoming victims of them to make you think whether you really want to make a gun and ammunition available to a determined attacker.

The main thing to remember is that all of it is extremely unlikely to happen.

As regards to rock salt cartridges, yes they were real, yes they work and some sadistic old schoolers even went to the extra effort of making them more effective by wrapping the stuff in tiny bits of tinfoil for added abrasion. One water baillif I met went a step further and loaded them with Mallachite Green crystals, used properly to treat fungal infection of stew trout, as he heard it was carcinogenic. "If it don't stop 'em today it'll stop 'em for good later". He was a nice bloke if you were on his side.

some dried barley or wheat would do the trick :whistling:

but on a serious note remember the reasons why our certificates were granted in the first place ! if they're to be use for any other purpose then we'd be in breech of the grant and even though we maybe left with no other reason than to discharge a shot or two there's a great chance that at the end of the day we'd be in soapy water with the man with the wig ! I'm not sayin I would or wouldn't fire a warning shot but I'd hate to be ip that position to have to find out !

Are we really sure this topic should be discussed in an open forum !!

Edited by P~MX

some dried barley or wheat would do the trick :whistling:

but on a serious note remember the reasons why our certificates were granted in the first place ! if they're to be use for any other purpose then we'd be in breech of the grant and even though we maybe left with no other reason than to discharge a shot or two there's a great chance that at the end of the day we'd be in soapy water with the man with the wig ! I'm not sayin I would or wouldn't fire a warning shot but I'd hate to be ip that position to have to find out !

:lol: :lol: **** firing a warning blast out of my shotgun and having to rebuild/repair half my house, that is not an option, if I am in such fear for mine or my families safety the shot will be directed at the cause of this fear and my redecorating will largely be down to removing blood stains! :D :D :good: :good: