People saying they will use shotgun to defend themselves

b16jus

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know something and that is id hate to let a 12 bore off indoors without hearing protection

thats a good point esp with kids etc would scare them

:lol: :lol: Joke right...... you are faced with intruders, you are cacking yourself and you have a loaded shotgun in your hands as you open your bedroom door to confront them, so what's going through your mind is Oh Dear I don't have my Ear defenders on and I'd better be careful or I might wake the children! :lol::good: :good:

Much easier to dial 999 and tell plod there is someone in your house and they will come round quick as a flash, plod love those calls as they are as rare as rocking horse **** and will result in half the station turning out.

At dark o'clock half the station would number maybe two plod. They could be anything up to twenty miles away.

"When the seconds count the police are minutes away"

Just been to see Skyfall.....

There are some great ideas at the end of that that you lot could try out to ward off would be intruders :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now stop being silly children and get back to your comic books..... too much C.O.D. if you ask me! :rolleyes:

Edited by Vipa

Id have several worries here. If I heard someone down stairs breaking into my house, i know I would not be able to get to my cabinet, get a gun, load it and get down stairs without them seeing or hearing me. If I did then immediately alerts the burglers to the fact ive got guns. So, if worse comes to worse, they beat me up, get my gun then proceed to steal my other guns and ammo. Or, if i do manage to shoot one of them, I end up with loads of red tape and every man & his dog knowing I have guns in the house - making me a target for future burglers who fancy breaking in just to steal my guns. "Sod the plasma, lets get the pump action"

I think id have to go for the approach of putting the lights on, making loads of noise and calling the old bill. If i felt particularly brave I could wander down stairs with a bat or something, but due to the lay out of my house, the burgler would see me coming down the stairs before I saw them....

"Much easier to dial 999 and tell plod there is someone in your house and they will come round quick as a flash"

Sorry Ginger cat but you're deluded if you think that's the case. My brother-in-law actually caught someone in his flat and wrestled with him for more than 10 minutes before letting him go and run off.The police turned up 30 minutes after the 999 call from my sister.

In answer to the OP. I'd never dream of firing my 12 gauge indoors, the missus would kill me. The mess it'd make! :lol:

ANOTHER thread for people with over-active imaginations to fill with macho drivel.

Well, there is at least one post above yours from someone who is writing from personal experience, who was forced to stand and fight when attacked, and who is still being treated as a criminal by our wonderful police force as a result - so, with the greatest possible respect, some of that drivel is coming from you...

Much easier to dial 999 and tell plod there is someone in your house and they will come round quick as a flash, plod love those calls as they are as rare as rocking horse **** and will result in half the station turning out.
And what the hell are you supposed to do when you've phoned the police but they are miles away, they don't know the area because it's 6 miles from the nearest town, there aren't enough of them, when they are relying on finding a postcode that covers 5 properties that cover a 2 mile distance, when the operator you're talking to is actually many miles away and has zero local knowledge?

What you're saying may or may not be true if you happen to live in a house in a town or city but it certainly isn't true if you're in a very rural location that is served only by single track roads known only to locals.

It take me long enough to get the two keys in by gun locker which is hidden off the main hall, so quickl;y takeing the gun out is probably a no no

Then i have to go upstairs to get the shotgun cartridges and load the gun, so i have been downstairs from bed room unlocked the gun cabenet gone back upstairs and now loaded it, I wunder what the robber is been doing all this time

Me thinks being ex RN a Cutlass would be a better weapon under the bed much easier for the robber to get the point

Naturally all the others do keep their amo seperate from their gun store don't they

Edited by ChrisAsh

i would make enough noise to let the scum know im awake,phone old bill and let the staffys down stairs with me following with golf club.

i've said this before on here do you realy want to confront these people if you dont have to?.

if you do happen to come face to face they are going to do their up most not to get caught and then anything could happen!!

they dont care what damage they do to you,for the sake of your tv your children could be left without their dad.

if they killed you they would get a few years doing bird your gone for good it aint worth it

I dont think i would go downstairs just stand at the top of the stairs defending, at the end of the day downstairs all i got to loose is a tv, blueray and computer

Its upstairs family that count

Exactly and by going downstairs with a gun or any other weapon isnt really defending yourself its looking for trouble. Also walking in to a room and not knowing who is in there is massively stupid.

some one tried to burgle my house i had baby and mrs in my room, i grabbed the machete called my neighbour he ran round the back and i then went down the stair but with the mrs screaming they had legged it! but i would have had no choice but to stab them i was in fear of my family and posessions

Just get a guard dog no burglar is going to try to burgle a house with a big German shepherd running around that's what most of my family have I've got a pet lab who sounds like a GSD so shouldn't really have any bother, but if I needed to defend my family or property with a firearm then I would like to think I would use it but who knows until your in the situation and hopefully we will all never find out.......

This may make an interesting read for you.

My friend was having his garage broken into during the night. Three blokes where at it trying to take his motorcross bikes. He had his little nipper in bed so didn't want to confront the burglars incase they has the better of him then entered the house.

He called 999 to alert the police. The desk operative said "it's a Saturday night and we are very busy, we will have an officer with you in 10minutes to 15minutes". He put the phone down then rang back, saying "it looks like one of then has a sawn off shotgun with him, it's dark but it certainly looks like one" or something to that effect.

He had an armed response vehicle at his home within 2minutes and 2 out the 3 arrested on the spot. It must of been passing, based very local to his home. Armed response don't deal with non firearms situations....unless you think you have seen one.

Maybe worth believing you can see a firearms in the purportrators possession if you are unfortunate to need the police.

It's also worth mentioning that my friend WANTED the thieves to be caught as a spate of motocross bikes being stolen was occurring in the area. Like shooting, motocross is a very close community where people look out and help each other where needed.

Just gives you a little extra to think about.

I would imagine that 90% of the farming population take the guns to bed with them if they have charlie wandering around around outside

when lambing starts and the hens are busy laying to a farmer it was like a hammer is to a joiner so shooting a few do as you likeys shouldnt be a problem

If found out to to lying to get them there quicker, i wonder how much trouble you would be in.

If they got the keys to your gun cabinet they would have a shotgun wouldn't they?

I remember the advice from a police officer round this way a while ago, fire one cartridge at the intruders, then put a second one in the ceiling to show you warned them...

most people that own guns/rifles, also own an array of other type weapons, as I'm a night worker, my mrs has baseball bats,swords,crossbows all to hand (all hers) :D

and those worrying about what would happen via police after using a gun as defense

who said anything about contacting police :w00t:

your within your rights to dig a fish pond at 3am :shout:

I would imagine that 90% of the farming population take the guns to bed with them if they have charlie wandering around around outside

when lambing starts and the hens are busy laying to a farmer it was like a hammer is to a joiner so shooting a few do as you likeys shouldnt be a problem

Very true. My uncle was a farmer and when he died we found all manor of shotguns all over the house - under the bed, in the cupboard, propped up against the back door.. you name it. Dont think he ever kept one in his cabinet. Apparently when he was younger he`d always keep a folding .410 under the seat in his car in case he needed it on the land. Was perfectly normal in them days.

If they got the keys to your gun cabinet they would have a shotgun wouldn't they?

I remember the advice from a police officer round this way a while ago, fire one cartridge at the intruders, then put a second one in the ceiling to show you warned them...

Check the location of your water tank first, or when the plumber arrives you'll be robbed again.

and unless using an auto that your gun is now empty, corking idea that

I just dont get this fascination with turning our sporting firearms into weapons.

I wonder since the proposed change to the law was announced how many similar threads there are on cricketing and golfing forums debating the legal nuances of using the tools of their sport such as a cricket bat or 9 iron on intruders. Not many I would wager, so I do have to wonder how much this really has to do with acts of self defence as a last resort as opposed to how much it has to do with imagining an excuse to leap about your house in your pants at 3am with your tricked out Mossberg like Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

For me it is a given that if my wife or children were in danger I would use the kitchen sink to defend them if it was the nearest thing to hand, which (unless a VERY contrived series of events had taken place) probably wouldnt mean a gun.

I just dont get this fascination with turning our sporting firearms into weapons.

I wonder since the proposed change to the law was announced how many similar threads there are on cricketing and golfing forums debating the legal nuances of using the tools of their sport such as a cricket bat or 9 iron on intruders. Not many I would wager, so I do have to wonder how much this really has to do with acts of self defence as a last resort as opposed to how much it has to do with imagining an excuse to leap about your house in your pants at 3am with your tricked out Mossberg like Charles Bronson in Death Wish.

For me it is a given that if my wife or children were in danger I would use the kitchen sink to defend them if it was the nearest thing to hand, which (unless a VERY contrived series of events had taken place) probably wouldnt mean a gun.

I think you're right.

The whole point though is that if there is a genuine need to use force for self defence, we have the right to use whatever is to hand, including a gun. The problem arises when the police then see that as a criminal act, rather than an act of self defence.

I'm sure that they tend to have a much more reasoned attitude when people use a golf club, a cricket bat or a tennis racquet as a weapon.