So do pigeons migrate in the winter?

turbo33

As one of the posts above said, they migrate to northern ireland every year. Around about the 2nd week in november. They are notably different from resident birds. Much smaller. They come in very very high, sometimes the flocks are little more than specs in the sky. I have seen them most years coming across the irish sea. I dont think these are necessarily even scottish birds. The timing of their migration often coincides with the main arrival of woodcock. Since the latter are coming all the way from sweden etc... I cant see why it wouldnt be the same for the pigeon, given that they are such strong fliers by comparison. Also, when they first arrive they often decoy very well. And I am talking about flocks of 150+ birds. Their behaviour is different from rape birds. So, I am definitely in the YES camp.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As one of the posts above said, they migrate to northern ireland every year. Around about the 2nd week in november. They are notably different from resident birds. Much smaller. They come in very very high, sometimes the flocks are little more than specs in the sky. I have seen them most years coming across the irish sea. I dont think these are necessarily even scottish birds. The timing of their migration often coincides with the main arrival of woodcock. Since the latter are coming all the way from sweden etc... I cant see why it wouldnt be the same for the pigeon, given that they are such strong fliers by comparison. Also, when they first arrive they often decoy very well. And I am talking about flocks of 150+ birds. Their behaviour is different from rape birds. So, I am definitely in the YES camp.

Do the scottish birds still come over to NI in great numbers dr d? Grandads records tell of flocks 15000 strong in the 70s/80s.

Cheers sw

Do the scottish birds still come over to NI in great numbers dr d? Grandads records tell of flocks 15000 strong in the 70s/80s.

Cheers sw[/quote

Unfortunately not. If the weather is severe we do get alot more. But the days of huge flocks are pretty much gone. My theory for this, is that the advent of thousands of acres of rape in GB and the continent means the birds are not pushed just as hard as they were. Still, enough of them turn up every year to notice the difference

I think the problem is that Defra and the BTO do not ring enough wood pigeons in winter to know if any come from Europe. There are about 1000 pigeons ringed in the UK every year. Out of these about 500 are ringed as youngsters in the nest. Wood pigeons are very hard to catch in mist nets and the most likely period is when they are hunting in bushes for a nest site , again in summer. So very few are ever caught and ringed in winter, Bearing in mind that probably of those that are ringed in winter at least half are likely to be resident birds so in reality only a handful of potential migrants are ever likely to be caught. As as probably only 5% - 10% of all ringed wood pigeons are ever heard of again the number of European wood pigeons to be recovered is going to be very small.

Of course they could be caught in winter using baited areas and rocket nets , but as yet nobody seems to have tried it. Which considering the dammage pigeons do it is surprising that DEFRA has not funded such a project.

Has anyone ever shot a ringed Woodpigeon?

Hi to everyone,good to see different comments on migration patterns.Does anyone have a view to why flights only seem to be for a few hours after first light?Also note there seems to be little view on feeding patterns when migrating,any views?

It was interesting to hear pigeons travel across to Ireland as the first time I saw the migration I asked a friend who told me they were travelling across to Ireland,this may be true of birds fighting across Scotland but not of the flocks passing over Cardiff that travel south to France and Spain.I did read somewhere that in spring they travel back north mainly on the European side(I believe I also read that the main migration south in autumn is through this route too)and I haven't ever noticed flocks travelling back north in spring.

As to size,birds I have had which seemed to be with the migration were normal size and very meaty which surprised me considering the amount of exertion involved for such a heavy bird to travel such distances.colour wise I think there is variation.

Has anyone viewed the footage of shooting in the Pyrenees?makes interesting viewing.

I've been doing census work for the BTO for 20 years or so and before that the RSPB I've never heard of any records of wood pigeon leaving these shores in any numbers so as to categorise it as a migration. Flocks have been picked up on radar arriving from across the Channel and Scandinavia in the harshest winters but our resident birds just seem to tough it out and generally will not move too far in cold weather other than perhaps county to county. I am aware of ringed birds being shot in this country but they haven't generally moved too far from where they were rung however they do turn up frequently in Northern France and a 60 minute flight would be nothing for a fit bird especially if it was popping over to France for a couple of weeks to take advantage of the hemp harvest. .The attached link might be of interest.

http://blx1.bto.org/ring/countyrec/resultsall/rec6700all.htm

I've been doing census work for the BTO for 20 years or so and before that the RSPB I've never heard of any records of wood pigeon leaving these shores in any numbers so as to categorise it as a migration. Flocks have been picked up on radar arriving from across the Channel and Scandinavia in the harshest winters but our resident birds just seem to tough it out and generally will not move too far in cold weather other than perhaps county to county. I am aware of ringed birds being shot in this country but they haven't generally moved too far from where they were rung however they do turn up frequently in Northern France and a 60 minute flight would be nothing for a fit bird especially if it was popping over to France for a couple of weeks to take advantage of the hemp harvest. .The attached link might be of interest.

http://blx1.bto.org/ring/countyrec/resultsall/rec6700all.htm

Very Interesting Link,

I knew some Woodpigeon were long lived, but hadn't realised 17+ yrs was possible.....

I found this report from a local bird watching group.you may find the numbers interesting,sighted between Cardiff and Newport near coastline.This year I also viewed large groups coming down through the valleys of Gwent which add up to vast numbers over Cardiff.

Sunday, 06 November 2011

Peterstone Gout

Main Sighting: Wood Pigeon

Timed count between 07:45 and 10:20 produced estimated 98,470+ wood pigeon heading west (and about 500 heading NE!). Movement on a broad front spanning from the foot of the coastal hills to about 2km out to sea. At one point the entire southern horizon was covered by a long string and cluster flock of c 10,000 birds only to be followed 10 min later by another of 9,000. Pretty amazing sight.

That is a pretty amazing statistic. I would have loved to have seen that sight.

2km out to sea from Cardiff heading west? Unless they changed course next stop USA. I did hear of huge number in north Devon at that time. Perhaps they came from that migration?

Yes,large numbers when you consider this was a count from one day!These birds travel west to Cardiff and then(from my limited experience)seem to congregate over Cardiff gate(motorway junction)then fly south west over penarth point which coincidently seems to be the shortest crossing over the Bristol channel.from here I presume they fly south?looking on google earth shows penarth point,flatholme,steepholme and brean point could be their flight path maybe?would be good if anyone was keeping watch close to brean village to confirm theory.

I should start seeing flocks by the end of October and will try and update this info.

i have been saying it for years that I think they migrate I have been looking at a Spanish website and vids for 3 years now and , they put vids on it to promote pigeon shooting , the pigeon numbers are just unreal in parts of spain /Portugal border this vid is on the site and on youtube I don,t speak or read in Spanish so easier to put the links on from youtube

http://youtu.be/uiiMkyWJp1k

http://youtu.be/hQIMusY-VFk

just forward the vids if you get bored I just put them on out of interest

That's a lot of doos.

Interesting use of live decoys. Got me thinking now of how to place a flapper in a tree.

i have been saying it for years that I think they migrate I have been looking at a Spanish website and vids for 3 years now and , they put vids on it to promote pigeon shooting , the pigeon numbers are just unreal in parts of spain /Portugal border this vid is on the site and on youtube I don,t speak or read in Spanish so easier to put the links on from youtube

http://youtu.be/uiiMkyWJp1k

http://youtu.be/hQIMusY-VFk

just forward the vids if you get bored I just put them on out of interest

Edited by Penelope