.308 Ammunition

Ok, i have just got myself a .308, and am wondering what rounds to use. It is at the moment(will be a deer rifle in the future) a target rifle, so expanding is a no-no. I was kinda thinking of seeing if i could get any mil surp 7.62 NATO Ball, or perhaps some Privi £60/100 I will be reloading in the future have i overlooked anything obvious, and what do others reccomend?

After looking through the reloading manual, i cant find any data for my current powder (Reloder 22) anywhere for .308. The Most wildly used is Varget but at £44/1lb its blasted expensive for what is a plinking round. What powders are others using for cheap .308 rounds.

ATB

Edited by Beretta28g

whats up found the 6.5 didn't have enough clout :whistling:

at those prices really the privi is worth a try, otherwise when on deer Varget does work well but as you say reasonably expensive till you factor in everything else when it turns into a drop in the ocean :lol:

I use varget and 150gr sierra gamekings for larger deer, will move to Viht 140 when it runs out as true, Varget aint cheap. I use Viht 160 for 243 rnds.One thing about Varget though ( but this may be just another great thing about the 308 ), I stripped my P8 down for a clean last weekend after nearly 200rnd, no need, it was pretty clean so just re assembled, wish the 243 was the same.

whats up found the 6.5 didn't have enough clout :whistling:

at those prices really the privi is worth a try, otherwise when on deer Varget does work well but as you say reasonably expensive till you factor in everything else when it turns into a drop in the ocean :lol:

The 6.5 is actually a very good round, not saying you said it wasnt, Im just saying with my opinion. More poke than a .243 and hits like a 308 without the knock behind it/exit wound to match.

Edited by 12borejimbo

lapua scenar for target 155 grn 150grn sierra gameking on deer. powder goes to N140. factory rounds whatever you can get in non exp for targets leave the military junk

Without getting into the .308 and 7.62 debate the Radway Green 7.62 that I have from 1985 is excellent! :good: