Ultimate 12g Marsh gun

roughshooter

On 01/11/2012 at 20:23, roughshooter said:

I came across a bit of a project recently - a bit of a rarity as it was something I had never seen before.

The gun was an AYA 12g side by side 3" magnum, single selective trigger, ejectors and 30" barrels choked half and full. Pistol grip stock and beaver tail forend.

The interesting thing with the gun was the sheer weight - it weighed in at 10lbs, which is comparable to a 10 bore.

I contacted AYA and found that this was a model 400E and was a preproduction run of the matador and was made in 1961.

The gun shot like a dream as it was but after conversations with a few mates it was suggested that the gun would make a ideal 3 1/2" super magnum to shoot steel, heavyshot or whatever.

I took the gun into the gun quarter and had the chambers lengthened, chokes adjusted to 3/8 and 1/2, bores polished and submitted to proof house to be redesignated as superior steel shot proof.

The gun has finally come back and patterns superbly and even with my home made 3 1/2" super fast steel recoil is comfortable and with factory 3" it is just like shooting a clay cartridge.

I will try to get some pics up at some stage

Regards

Graham

First of all beautiful gun 👍👍 I shoot aya number 3 magnum double trigger 3inch chambering beaver fore end etc Made 1979 You’ll not go wrong with that great gun u have mine weights bout 7-8ib there fantastic wildfowling guns  have put all manner of steel shot thru it from hull 2 3/4 up to gamebore 3inch magnum I’m glad you got a great S/S my semi auto sits in cabinet Thanks for posting great post I love AYA,s hopefully if the new season goes ahead you’ll be putting game on the table 👍👍I also use mine for odd round of clays always get asked questions on clay ground by fellas using modern o/u 👍😆

I too have an Aya number 3 and have put all sorts through it.A real peach to use and is much nicer than the semi auto I also sometimes use,and it's easier to handle to used cartridge's rather than hunting around for the ejected ones.The Aya project looks a superb gun and I am quite  envious.Lets hope the coming season gives all a chance of having a few nice outings.