Getting robbed by the Gun dealer

Highbird70

That's a shoddy experience, will be interested in the outcome.

I had a problem recently 2.25yrs into 3 year warranty. Took the gun to the dealer I bought from, he charged me what he said was the actual cost of the courier to GMK - £16, so I reckon £50+ here is pretty rip off anyway (if you bought the gun through them).

My the gun was returned 4 weeks later with the fault actually worse than it had been so back to dealer etc. This time though I also spoke to Andy at GMK (to express my dissatisfaction!) who told me if I had gone straight to them as the gun was still in warranty, they would have arranged collection from me free of charge. They arranged the collection that day from the dealer and also managed to fix the problem second time around with no charges at all (incl. no transporting costs). I normally work on the basis that it is the retailer I have a contract with so always go to them with any issues but if I get any further problems before the 3 year warrant is up I will be contacting GMK direct.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As it didn't cost them anything other than getting the gun (that they sold you in the first place) to GMK, the charge is very unreasonable.

It's worse than that it is pretty much theft charging effectively for work not done. It's an issue that should go to trading standards

There seems to be a common missconception that once your 1/2/3 year warranty expires the cost of repair is down to you.The warranty offered by manufacturers is over and above your statutory rights,which have have far more power.Consumer law in the UK is more strict than most people realise (do you realise that white goods have a 6 year warranty-next time some salesman tries to flog you an extended warranty,tell him where to go).It all boils down to what is,or isn't,reasonable-if you pay £2k for a gun and use it occasionally then the firing pins should last a reasonable amount of time-however,if you buy a cheap gun and clay shoot every day then you need to decide what you,or indeed a court,would consider reasonable longevity.Most dealers,or in fact the vast majority on manufacturers,will not wish to meet you across a courtroom if you are being reasonable and have been cival and accomadating when approaching them with any consumer issue-seek proffesional advice if your gun goes wrong and ,taking such advice into consideration,dont be afraid to Issue a summons.

You've got me interested in the consumer law side of things, be it gun repairs or white goods. Where can infind out more on the law ? I have also had an issue with a shot gun to which I have a 5 yr warranty, when I took it back the shop wanted fro charge me, then decided that because "their" gun smith "fixed" it there's no charge.

My auto went back to GMK twice with an issue,I had had it 2 years,it has a 10 year warrenty,both times GMK picked up the bill for RFD costs,and i would expect them to pay for everything up until the 10 years is up.

Why would you be discusing the RFD costs if it had a 5 years warrenty?

The owner was well aware of the gun been sent to GMK.

In which case I stand corrected

will be interesting to see the outcome,

If I was GMK I would be sending a letter to the dealer asking how he can charge for work THEY have done under warranty,

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

I had problems with my air gun, took it to the local to have a look over guy goes onto the range to test it. Ten mins later he comes back rather embarrassed and apologetic that he has broken the push rod and lodged a pellet in the chamber. But that he would get it repaired 100% get it back and zero service etc it to say sorry.

Fair enough I thought these things happen.

Week later get a call go to shop to see a different guy. Who proceeds to tell me I owe them £100 for removing the pellet and that the gun was "knackered boy". Im only one mans boy and its not him. I then get told it wasn't ever working and the push rod was broken already and he wasn't not going to foot the bill for that.

After making my point I get told boy you know nothing about guns you dont know what your talking about. And that it was going to cost me another £120 to fix and in exchange he would take the gun and give me £50 off a new gun in shop.

After a few choice words and nearly swinging for the guy I took the gun walked out. Took it to the falcon factory by appointment, £40 and I walked out with a full service new seals push rod a magazine and a tin of pellets. It was a broken o ring that was the whole problem.

Its a shame that there are a few people out there that despite the sport already being expensive seem determined to rip off someone at the first opportunity.

Guest cookoff013

name and shame,

i would have GMK send you a letter stating what repair work was carried out.

if it goes to court, which most shops will avoid.

one thing i will reitterate, when you hand over a gun for repair and or waranty issues. get a reciept. with it clearly marked down on what the issues are and if it is a waranty issue. demand they re-write it on the reciept, dont accept hand written.

i neally got screwed a few years ago and lost a expensive gun.

litterally court is the only place to sort out the mess. started with a soliciters letter. it got things moving. the repair bill was just less than a grand. i wasnt paying that !

a grand !

Edited by cookoff013

RFD's with Gun Trade Membership pay less that £15 cost to ship (sometimes less than a tenner!)

If they mark up on a warranty return I would make damn sure I never shopped there again

the rest of the mark up is quite frankly fraud.

advise you local constabulary or trading standards

Dear Sirs,

By now the owner of the shop has received my letter, due to the fact that I sent it special delivery before 13.00 guaranteed,

The Gun Dealer in Question its:

The Country Store of Mark Knibbs or John Knibbs International, In Shustoke Warwickshire, same shop 2 names

That might wake them up a bit Mark - if I run short of carts and have to pop up there I may mention my concerns about their reputation and how I may be forced to shop elsewhere!

That might wake them up a bit Mark - if I run short of carts and have to pop up there I may mention my concerns about their reputation and how I may be forced to shop elsewhere!

I seem to have developed a stutter. Sorry

Hi Anthony,

After what they done to me, I would be very reluctant to buy anything from them and I'm very much in doubt that I will be welcomed in the shop. But if I was in you, I would still use them for cartdriges and other shooting items....but for a purchase of a gun, I would bare in mind my experience with them.

Mark

Brierley Guns is my guess, a friend of mine got charged £365 to the pins changed in his DT10. He then rang GMK to see what the retail price would be for such work........£140!!!

I went in there once as I live in Brierley Hill, they seem to make up the prices as they go along by thinking of a figure then multiplying it by six or more :shifty: Haven't been in again.

More thoughts...

If you take your broken gun to a gun shop, taking for granted that they are not gun smiths and they will not repair the gun, so "us" as a customer we are using this shop only for the RFD transport service, that normally its £50 circa (return), plus put £20 of a little profit for the shop for the time used to send the shotgun, total should be £70-80, for me that would be more than accetable, the repair of the shotgun, in warranty or not as nothing to do with the shop that you sending from, hence when you go and pick up the shotgun you should have two invoices, 1 for the RFD and 1 from the shop that as repaired the shotgun to keep for further warranty in case it reoccurs.

Ok I missed this bit but it is irrelevant that the shop had to send an item you bought from them away for repair, that cost isn't down to you and neither is the cost for GMK to send it back. Obviously if it wasn't under warranty then there would be a charge. People quote £25 for RFD shipping fees but that is usually for sales so has an element of charge for writing a gun onto your ticket etc. In this case as Bewsher said bank on it being under £15 as an actual charge possibly more if it has a reasonably level of insurance. Then only on one side and whether GMK charge you separately for repair work, in this case as a warranty job there shouldn't have been any form of charge. After sales is one side of selling a product, they can't just make the money from a sale and then offer no backup if an item fails

I would be putting this up on every forum possible. Shooters spend plenty money getting there kit and keeping there sport going without dealers doing this to them. How they can treat there customers in this manner is beyond me. I have never heard of this lot but with this kind of customer care they do not deserve to have any customers.

Thanks for letting us know who to avoid! I see their website says:

There is much more to John Knibbs International Ltd and the Countrystore than meets the eye and our aim is to provide our customers old and new with an unequalled efficient, professional and friendly service.

So much for that then!!!!

Bought my new Bettinsoli from THE FISHING HUT GRANGE OVER SANDS, when I got it home I realised it was not auto safe, I phoned Raymond ( the shop owner) and asked if he could get the part and post it to me, as it is an easy fit job. It arrived two days later and I cut it to fit a fitted it. when I took the gun out I fired a few rounds and quickly realised it wasn`t changing to the second barrel, I phoned Raymond he said bring it in, this I did ,left it with him and went for lunch, arriving back later on he told me it was all my fault as I had left the auto change bar 1/2 to 1mm to long. he`d sorted it out and never charged me a penny. that is why I by anything shooting related from him carts, clothing Etc.

Good customer relations deserved loyalty