Help, Blocked air rifle barrel.

mikesy

My son has just come home from a shooting trip this morning and his BSA Ultra has its barrel blocked with at least 3-4 pellets .

I've read that pushing a straightened wire coat hanger might do the job but is there anything I can spray the barrel with to make it easier ie:WD40 or silicon oil?

Any advice is welcome , I will not attempt to unblock it yet , is there anything I should avoid as not to damage the barrel or make it worse?

Thanks

Mike

Stiff wire rod can damage the rifleing, use a soft metal rod if possible , brass or copper.

The old way for a serious pellet blockage was to heat the barrel in the area of the blockage, gauged by a cleaning rod poked down it.

Heat the area slowly with a good hot air gun or gas heat gun, over a gas cooker will also do but keep checking with the cleaning rod until the blockage starts to move, handle the barrel carefully when hot as the metal will soften to a degree the hotter it gets and you dont want a bent or distorted barrel,

Allow the barrel to cool naturaly when the blockage is removed.

I'd be reticent to use WD40. the stuff i use for cleaning my barrel is the Napier Power airgun oil, which acts as a lubricant before the pads are passed down. That's the stuff i would use, but as bigman says, remove the barrel to do it and spray from both ends. It's never recommended to use a metal rod on an air rifle, and i'd avoid the straightened coat hanger at all costs as that will scratch the inside barrel and then you risk ruining the rifling, and that's a new barrel! Wooden or strong plastic is going to be your best bet, but that will be tricky especially if it's a .177, As Deny Essex said, heating it could work as well. After that, it's probably going to be a repair job. They'll drill it out, or replace the barrel. It is possible to do that yourself, but I have no idea what you need or how you do it!

Here's the lubricant spray I use. It's specifically designed for air rifles

http://compare.ebay....type=pla&crdt=0

Edited by chrisjpainter

Thanks for the help guys, I found some wooden kebeb skewers, quite stiff, squared the end with a stanley knife, removed the silencer and being a short barrel , the skewer was long enough. Once I reached the blockage I just kept tapping the end of the skewer with a table spoon and low and behold, the pellets started coming out . The last one which caused the blockage came out after a few more taps and a bit of patience.

Did not use any oil but will get some Napier air gun oil , glad I did not try the wire coat hanger.

Most Air Rifle barrels are choked the last 4 to 5 inches so pushing to the muzzel will only make matters worse.

You always push towards the breech.

Never use Napier power lube down the barrel has it says on the packet it will put your gun over 12 ftlb limit.

It makes your barrel super slick.

Plastic knitting needles work well 4.5 mm for .177 and 5.5 mm for .22 they won`t damage your barrels.

And also very good for making sure your silencer is in line with the barrel. (ie) pellets not clipping the silencer.

Never use Napier power lube down the barrel has it says on the packet it will put your gun over 12 ftlb limit.

It makes your barrel super slick.

I've never had a problem with this! The instructions are pretty clear that you spray it down the barrel: I have their cleaning kit for my S510, these are their directions for use:

1. Spray the barrel with Napier Power Oil and allow to dwell for 1 minute.

2. pass the loop end through the barrel.

3. carefully ease the loop out of the breach

4. attach the pads through the loop

5. pull back through carefully

6. repeat until clean

I've simplified this a bit, but that's the essence of it! It's recommended by Air Arms, who themselves recommend cleaning and re-lubing with the Power airgun Oil frequently.

'The use of correct materials is very important. Air Arms uses only gun care products made by Napier' Air Arms themselves.

I've used it regularly (but not frequently - half tin of pellets or so) and it has never fired over 12ft/lb with any pellets! If Air Arms recommend it, i'm happy enough to use it, I don't think they'd really advise anything that would help you break the law!

edit: just had a thought, Night Searcher, are you talking about their Power Pellet Lube? If so, I have never used that, so wouldn't know what kind of an effect it has, but the Power Airgun Oil DEFINITELY doesn't make my S510 push over 12 ft/lb

Edited by chrisjpainter

If you read it i am not talking about Napier cleaning oils.

Its the Napier power lube for your pellets (ie) 5 drops on a full tin of pellets.

It dose say on the packet do not put down the barrel.

I have tried it on one of my PCPS that was doing 11.60 ft ib. I put 5 drops down the barrel and it went to 13.22 ft ib.

It went back down to normal 11.60 ft lb after about a hundred shots.

So it dose make your barrel super slick for around 100 shots.

If you read it i am not talking about Napier cleaning oils.

Its the Napier power lube for your pellets (ie) 5 drops on a full tin of pellets.

It dose say on the packet do not put down the barrel.

I have tried it on one of my PCPS that was doing 11.60 ft ib. I put 5 drops down the barrel and it went to 13.22 ft ib.

It went back down to normal 11.60 ft lb after about a hundred shots.

So it dose make your barrel super slick for around 100 shots.

yeah i did re-read it, hence the edit! It was my own post that confused me oddly. I had talked about it being a lubricant rather than an oil, although it does lubricate, so when you posted that, I thought you meant the same stuff as I did. then the light switched on, but only once i had posted...

:hmm: So, push towards the Breech, Don't push towards the breech. :lol::good:

Any choke of the barrel will be tiny and lubricant will ease the pellet path, pushing backwards can cause a problem with the skirt opening, etc, after all thats what it is meant to do.

Just the same pellets and bullets are meant to go one way up a barrel, and that isn't backwards. Additional problems with many PCP make it very hard to get any sort of a rod up a barrel entering at the breech end!

:hmm::good:

Hi all

I have a Logun S-16 that requires a fair bit of a push of the bolt to seat the pellet from the mag in to the breech..

When I first got the gun I didn't realise this and wasn't pushing the bolt forwards enough, I eventually had a load of pellets stuck 'up the spout' :whistling:

stackedslugs.jpg

I made a long screw to turn them out (bit like the cork out of a wine bottle!!), it bought the pellets out in three lumps..

Stackedpelletremover1.jpg

I cut a coarse thread in the end of the rod using diamond needle files, the barrel was clear in a few minutes :good:

Stackedpelletremover2.jpg

BTW, I don't think that most airguns are choked these days (but am only guessing) i'll have to get my vernier guage out and measure both ends of the barrels, I have plenty of guns to go at ;)

Cheers, John :)

Be careful mate as if if there is no groove on the pellet probe for an o ring then there is one roughly 20mm inside the barrel at the breach end. For s16's it is usually best to remove the barrel as if you push from the muzzle and pop the o ring you will lose a lot of your pressure when the shot is taken. Drop me a private message if you are unsure on doing this

Be careful mate as if if there is no groove on the pellet probe for an o ring then there is one roughly 20mm inside the barrel at the breach end. For s16's it is usually best to remove the barrel as if you push from the muzzle and pop the o ring you will lose a lot of your pressure when the shot is taken. Drop me a private message if you are unsure on doing this

Hi Ben

I removed the pellets a few years ago..

Tthe rifle was leaking when I bought it but I couldn't hear the hiss as working in a heavy foundry for the last 34 years has trashed my hearing but the wife heard it...

I unscrewed the bottle and put the rifle away and forgot about it for a couple of years, when I came across it again, I screwed the bottle on and left it for a few days, it held pressure!!!

I shot it down my garden until the bottle needed refilling, which I did, refitted the bottle and the damned heap of junk started hissing so loud that I could even hear it :sad1:

It's languishing in the spare room now, unloved and uncared for :good:

I heard of a chap that knows these inside out and reseals them with better than standard seals, I may send it to him as I liked the gun when it wasn't giving me grief :yes:

Hi Ben

I removed the pellets a few years ago..

Tthe rifle was leaking when I bought it but I couldn't hear the hiss as working in a heavy foundry for the last 34 years has trashed my hearing but the wife heard it...

I unscrewed the bottle and put the rifle away and forgot about it for a couple of years, when I came across it again, I screwed the bottle on and left it for a few days, it held pressure!!!

I shot it down my garden until the bottle needed refilling, which I did, refitted the bottle and the damned heap of junk started hissing so loud that I could even hear it :sad1:

It's languishing in the spare room now, unloved and uncared for :good:

I heard of a chap that knows these inside out and reseals them with better than standard seals, I may send it to him as I liked the gun when it wasn't giving me grief :yes:

Send it to this guy...

http://www.airgundoctor.co.uk/

He was a prototyping gunsmith who worked for Logun and basically worked on the mk1 and made it the mk2..

Or here...

http://www.airrifleshop.co.uk/

Their chief gunsmith is Jim Hogan, he who designed it!

Or you can give it to me and I will look after it, forever... lol! :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Edited by secretagentmole