Browning T-bolt vs CZ

MG6065

Hi

Looking at getting a 17hmr. In the gun shop i have handled alot of 17's but i have narrowed it down to either a Browning Tbolt or a CZ 452. With the experience and knowledge of people on here i was hoping for some advice on the two. Ive only seen the wooden t-bolt as opposed to the synthetic. Which is the better gun. I like the straight pull bolt on the browning but which gun will be better for work on the farm?

All advice will be very helpful. Thanks alot. Marcus

I have both a Browning T bolt Synthetic & a CZ452 in Hmr.

CZ - Owned from new sits in a Boyds Thumb hole stock trigger kit fitted the day I bought it - awesome !!

Browning - Synthetic stock - has my N750 on it - agian it's awesome but the trigger is quite heavy & can't be lightened anymore without serious mods which I'm not prepared to do. The straight pull was what swayed me to buy this over a second CZ, it has weaver bases fitted on the action which helps keep the scope a bit lower.

They're both superb but the CZ has the edge because of the trigger IMO

HTH

I dont like the browning personally and am not a great fan of straight pulls in the field. the injection molded plastic stock is pants, i hate all of them (why do they say synthetic? a synthetic is a McMillan or HS etc IMO). The T bolt aint a new design just re-release of an old one that didn't realy sell well first time around. Cz all the way besides anything else spares are very available if you can ever break it ( and farmers can break just about anything) so get the cz

I have the Browning T-Bolt Sporter in .22lr, I'm pleased with it, but dissapointed in the trigger pull weight, it is adjustable, but it has a min. which mine is set to and still seems really heavy to me.

I found it very fussy with ammo, only liking Sub-sonic & even then only certain brands, HV stuff seems to go all over the place!

I have a friend who has a CZ .22lr, and it is definitely more accurate than my Browning & has a better trigger. That said, I do like the Straight-Pull & the look of the T-Bolt, and it still dispatches the bunnies quite happily :lookaround:

CZ for me, T bolt has a rubbish trigger and just felt like a toy in the hand. CZ fitted better etc..

+1 when I was shopping for a .17 I really wanted a t-bolt, this is when they first came out a couple of years ago. I picked one up in the shop and it felt like I was holding one of the Webley and Scott 9mm garden guns !! It was tiny. Then the other week I was buying some ammo and they had the new "varmint" stocked t-bolt but still felt like a toy !! Do what I did get a CZ, you won't be disappointed !!!!

I have the Browning T-Bolt Sporter in .22lr, I'm pleased with it, but dissapointed in the trigger pull weight, it is adjustable, but it has a min. which mine is set to and still seems really heavy to me.

I found it very fussy with ammo, only liking Sub-sonic & even then only certain brands, HV stuff seems to go all over the place!

I have a friend who has a CZ .22lr, and it is definitely more accurate than my Browning & has a better trigger. That said, I do like the Straight-Pull & the look of the T-Bolt, and it still dispatches the bunnies quite happily :lookaround:

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97FTanschutz.html

The A-Bolt 22 is a rimfire bolt-action rifle with a 60-degree bolt throw, an A-shaped receiver and a free floating barrel. The Grade I model, which we tested, has plainer wood and metal finish. Our Grade I sample had a steel barrel and receiver that sported a brightly blued finish that matched the aluminum trigger-guard/magazine-well unit’s black finish. The magazine was made entirely of steel with a flawless, blued finish. Metal-to-metal fit was above average. Our A-Bolt .22 came with optional open sights. The front was a 3/8-inch-tall blade with a bead-shaped top. The fold-down rear had an elevation-adjustable blade with a white triangular and a U-shaped notch. Both were dovetailed to the barrel. This set up afforded an adequate sighting reference, but we used a Burris Fullfield 3-9x scope installed with Weaver tip-off rings for record firing.

As for accuracy, this Browning’s performance earned it a last-place finish in this test. The gun’s tightest five-shot average groups, 1.30 inches at 50 yards, were obtained with Eley Benchrest Gold. In our view, that’s marginal accuracy for some small-game hunting, such as treetop squirrel hunting. Other problems included the gun’s one-piece stock, which was made of nicely-grained walnut with rosewood forend and grip caps. It was nice looking, but its high-gloss finish is impractical for hunting, we believe. Also, it wasn’t equipped with swivel studs.

Nonethless, the A-Bolt earns a few checkmarks. Balancing near the front of the ejection port, this Browning’s weight was more evenly distributed than the other guns. Although this afforded the least muzzle stability, shouldering and target acquisition were the fastest. The flutes (relieved areas) at the front of the comb allowed us establish a comfortable hand position on the pistol grip. The moderate size of the 1.49-inch-wide grip and 1.61-inch-wide forend enhanced our ability to grasp the gun firmly.

Of the rifles in this test, the A-Bolt 22’s controls were the easiest to reach and operate. Also, this .22 didn’t malfunction, and the bolt had a handy, flattened knob and a shorter-than-normal throw that made it easy to open and close. It operated smoothly with two of the three loads we used. However, when using CCI Stinger ammunition, extra muscle was needed to lock the bolt. Trigger movement was clean but a little heavy. The adjustable, gold-colored trigger itself featured a grooved 3/8-inch-wide face. Its pull had no creep or overtravel and let-off crisply at 4 pounds.

Field Tests Recommends

Though the Model 1416D Classic is one of the cheapest Ansch tz rifles available, it is still expensive. This model’s hardwood stock doesn’t make its high price any easier to swallow, but the manufacturer didn’t scrimp on workmanship and field performance. We recommend this rifle.

The Sako Finnfire’s accuracy and trigger were more than satisfactory. However, due to its plastic parts and below average wood work, we think this rimfire rifle is overpriced. In our opinion, your money would be better spent on the Ansch tz.

We like the Browning A-Bolt .22’s good looks and ease of handling. However, since its accuracy was marginal in our tests, this rimfire rifle doesn’t merit our stamp of approval

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97FTanschutz.html

The A-Bolt 22 is a rimfire bolt-action rifle with a 60-degree bolt throw, an A-shaped receiver and a free floating barrel. The Grade I model, which we tested, has plainer wood and metal finish. Our Grade I sample had a steel barrel and receiver that sported a brightly blued finish that matched the aluminum trigger-guard/magazine-well unit’s black finish. The magazine was made entirely of steel with a flawless, blued finish. Metal-to-metal fit was above average. Our A-Bolt .22 came with optional open sights. The front was a 3/8-inch-tall blade with a bead-shaped top. The fold-down rear had an elevation-adjustable blade with a white triangular and a U-shaped notch. Both were dovetailed to the barrel. This set up afforded an adequate sighting reference, but we used a Burris Fullfield 3-9x scope installed with Weaver tip-off rings for record firing.

As for accuracy, this Browning’s performance earned it a last-place finish in this test. The gun’s tightest five-shot average groups, 1.30 inches at 50 yards, were obtained with Eley Benchrest Gold. In our view, that’s marginal accuracy for some small-game hunting, such as treetop squirrel hunting. Other problems included the gun’s one-piece stock, which was made of nicely-grained walnut with rosewood forend and grip caps. It was nice looking, but its high-gloss finish is impractical for hunting, we believe. Also, it wasn’t equipped with swivel studs.

Nonethless, the A-Bolt earns a few checkmarks. Balancing near the front of the ejection port, this Browning’s weight was more evenly distributed than the other guns. Although this afforded the least muzzle stability, shouldering and target acquisition were the fastest. The flutes (relieved areas) at the front of the comb allowed us establish a comfortable hand position on the pistol grip. The moderate size of the 1.49-inch-wide grip and 1.61-inch-wide forend enhanced our ability to grasp the gun firmly.

Of the rifles in this test, the A-Bolt 22’s controls were the easiest to reach and operate. Also, this .22 didn’t malfunction, and the bolt had a handy, flattened knob and a shorter-than-normal throw that made it easy to open and close. It operated smoothly with two of the three loads we used. However, when using CCI Stinger ammunition, extra muscle was needed to lock the bolt. Trigger movement was clean but a little heavy. The adjustable, gold-colored trigger itself featured a grooved 3/8-inch-wide face. Its pull had no creep or overtravel and let-off crisply at 4 pounds.

Field Tests Recommends

Though the Model 1416D Classic is one of the cheapest Ansch tz rifles available, it is still expensive. This model’s hardwood stock doesn’t make its high price any easier to swallow, but the manufacturer didn’t scrimp on workmanship and field performance. We recommend this rifle.

The Sako Finnfire’s accuracy and trigger were more than satisfactory. However, due to its plastic parts and below average wood work, we think this rimfire rifle is overpriced. In our opinion, your money would be better spent on the Ansch tz.

We like the Browning A-Bolt .22’s good looks and ease of handling. However, since its accuracy was marginal in our tests, this rimfire rifle doesn’t merit our stamp of approval

What sort of ammo do you use for treetop squirrel hunting? Edited by Rimfireboy