T-Bolt94

Wildfowling is something I have as good as no experience with and I was wondering if someone could help me chose the best type of NT Cart. I quite like my gun, and it wasn't cheap so for that reason I would quite like to avoid the use of Steel shot primarily to reduce the damage to the barrel as much as possible. Additionally, cost is a major factor I know steel are often the cheapest but what would be the best cartridge and most cost effective for duck primarily. I was thinking 30g or 32g 5s.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

T-Bolt94

a little damage which is rare wont stop the gun generally. next option is buy a cheap sub £150 solid double gun like a Baikel , zabala etc - far better than spending a fortune on shells, the saltmarsh is very hard on nice guns often you can hear them rusting when you quitely kneel in a wet gutter

it has been known for steel shot to get away from the cup in the bore, damage is often in the forcing cones or a score along the barrel. Its not very common but it can happen. Read the disclaimer on the shell box. In reality you just dont put steel through expensive fine guns

A mate of mine has been using steel through a recently made William Evans 3" sbs, which cost him an arm and a leg, for years with absolutely no detrimental affect on the barrels.

With modern steel cartridges the chances of damage to your barrels are very, very,very small. There is a lot of urban myth about this subject."Everybody" knows that it happens but actually finding photographic evidence of it is surprisingly difficult.

Guest cookoff013

i hear the forcing cones take a beating.

i would advise get a cheap gun then run it! serious, wouldnt take an expensive gun on a Saltmarsh anyway.

damage can also be seen if too large a shotsize is used, but thats like TT,T shot and the like.

buy a gun that can handle steel, chuck in 1/4 or skeet, US#2s on duck US#BB minimum for geese. even with anaemic (1400fps) speeds here, they still will take game.

ps, forget the 5s. unless they are speedy homeloads.