suzuki jimny

ferreter10

im looking to buy a jimny and went to view one today. it had a 3 inch suspention lift (not ideal for me) and some beasty tyres, but after a test drive was veering all over the road. after some research i found that castor correstion arms need to be fitted. Does anybody know if this will cure the veering ?

any info on jimnys in general would be must appreciated

:)

well apparently it was done by a mechanic... im mean im no expert with cars but it shouldn't veer like it did... i needed a change of underwear

Yeah, but there are mechanics, then there are mechanics. Some of them you'd happily leave to rebuild a vintage MG. Others you wouldn't trust to fit a wiper blade

How much money are you looking to spend?

im looking to spend around 1800-2000 :) only reason i went to look at this one was because it was literally down the road from me

Yeah, but there are mechanics, then there are mechanics. Some of them you'd happily leave to rebuild a vintage MG. Others you wouldn't trust to fit a wiper blade

yeah i see what your saying.. think i will be leaving this one alone and the search continues!

Tbh, the standard Jimny isn't great on road, especially in the wet and going round corners at anything other than slooooow.

having said that, I don't push mine beyond 60mph most of the time. What it lacks in tarmac finesse, it more than makes up for offroad.

well it will be used every weekend and some weekdays for shooting/picking up so offroad is i would say a priority... having said that i do some driving on the motorways... atleast i wont get any speeding fines!

well it will be used every weekend and some weekdays for shooting/picking up so offroad is i would say a priority... having said that i do some driving on the motorways... atleast i wont get any speeding fines!

No... Silver linings and all that!

I've never driven a Jimny that's been lifted before... When you say it was 'veering', is that when going in a straight line, or just when cornering?

BTW, some good forums out there - bigjimny.com etc

No... Silver linings and all that!

I've never driven a Jimny that's been lifted before... When you say it was 'veering', is that when going in a straight line, or just when cornering?

BTW, some good forums out there - bigjimny.com etc

haha yeah :P it was doing it going in a straight line and when going round corners. if the corner had a camber, it would follow the camber. if i hit a bump going in a straight line it would start veeringtoward the bump. it was scary

Yeh you should probably just walk away from that one - Might prove costly to put right.

I traipsed away over to the West coast after a Jimny, only to find a soft top version with a mouldy roof, and the EM light was on :|

Got back home and a mate told me about one literally 500 yards from my house...DOH!, Which I subsequently bought.

Yeh you should probably just walk away from that one - Might prove costly to put right.

I traipsed away over to the West coast after a Jimny, only to find a soft top version with a mouldy roof, and the EM light was on strong>ression.gif

Got back home and a mate told me about one literally 500 yards from my house...DOH!, Which I subsequently bought.

oh.. i imagine you were not best pleased! so as an owner of a jimny, how does it fair ? do you do any offroading in it? tyres? etc, if you dont mind me asking :)

oh.. i imagine you were not best pleased! so as an owner of a jimny, how does it fair ? do you do any offroading in it? tyres? etc, if you dont mind me asking :)

I really like it - Got it 3 years ago when my wee lass got ill... I needed to be sure we could make it to the hospital in Edinburgh in any weather. And the winter of 2 years ago really put it to the test. 14" of snow, and it never got stuck once. The missus thought she'd got it stuck in the snow, but by the time i'd got my gear on to walk down the road to help, she trundled into the street with the wee motor.

Off road wise, i've done what i'd describe as "Gentle" work with it. Very boggy ploughed farm fields, etc, and again, naver managed to get stuck.

Tyre wise, I fitted 4 'Infinity 205/70/15", purchased off fleabay for £200, and got them fitted for £50. Nice and chunky, but decent on road, too.

I really like it - Got it 3 years ago when my wee lass got ill... I needed to be sure we could make it to the hospital in Edinburgh in any weather. And the winter of 2 years ago really put it to the test. 14" of snow, and it never got stuck once. The missus thought she'd got it stuck in the snow, but by the time i'd got my gear on to walk down the road to help, she trundled into the street with the wee motor.

Off road wise, i've done what i'd describe as "Gentle" work with it. Very boggy ploughed farm fields, etc, and again, naver managed to get stuck.

Tyre wise, I fitted 4 'Infinity 205/70/15", purchased off fleabay for £200, and got them fitted for £50. Nice and chunky, but decent on road, too.

im sorry to hear about that, but at least you had/have a car up to the job. i must say, there arent many bad reviews from owners which is good to hear. i shall just have to keep my eyes open for one nearby. Oh okay, i shall have a look and see if my local tyre guy stocks them, or at least could get them in :)

If the suspension has been bodged (and it probably has been, if its lifted) then I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

I'd agree with this.

they still get stuck tho. i have 80% off road tyres and spent 4 hours stuck up to the axles last night, along with 3 defenders that tried dragging me out. decent cars easy to fix. if your looking at one check under the carpet in the boot for rot and look at the insides of the tyres if there covered in oil fronts probably king pins (about £50 for parts and 4 hours to do) and rear will be diff seals

cheers fellas. i am now the owner of a jimny. w reg with 50 odd on the clock, been fully waxed oiled underneath, the only bit of rust i can spot is on the back exhaust box. took a good friend of mine who is a mechanic that i trust. this one also did have a lift, but he said that all is in good order and the kingpins had been recently replaced. cannie wait to give it a go offroad!

they still get stuck tho. i have 80% off road tyres and spent 4 hours stuck up to the axles last night, along with 3 defenders that tried dragging me out. decent cars easy to fix. if your looking at one check under the carpet in the boot for rot and look at the insides of the tyres if there covered in oil fronts probably king pins (about £50 for parts and 4 hours to do) and rear will be diff seals

coor, you must have been in pretty deep! thanks for the reply, no oil on the insides of tyres and no rot, thanks for the reply :)