BASC dog insurance

mcs1972

Hi,

Is the petplan/basc policy worth its salt?

Anyone had any experiences in trying to claim?

About to pick up a lab puppy and want to ensure we're covered properly..

Mark

I have four dogs with Petplan and on the occasions I've needed to claim they have been very good. Not the cheapest but much better service & prompt payout unlike a few others out there.

DaveL

Is the premium not fixed then? We're looking at the ultimate version of it......

not sure about the ultimate but its not on the level I'm on

No idea what it would cost you but I've just run a quote for my situation and it would be £800 a year so roughly 10K over the dogs life at least personally that is silly money. I want something to cover individual incidents so were the dog to break a leg etc I would have cover, ongoing conditions you will find most can be treated for that figure a month, You would be far better off on a lower cover and sticking the balance in the bank.

Its all a rip off, i have never spent more than a couple of hundred on a dog on one incident at the very most. I wouldn't treat a dog for cancer, have legs amputated etc. no matter how fond of them i might be. 10k over the life of a dog- thats plain stupidity. I mean at £500 a year you could actually buy a new qualty bred pup each year

Its all a rip off, i have never spent more than a couple of hundred on a dog on one incident at the very most. I wouldn't treat a dog for cancer, have legs amputated etc. no matter how fond of them i might be. 10k over the life of a dog- thats plain stupidity. I mean at £500 a year you could actually buy a new qualty bred pup each year

Although I have to agree it's mostly a rip off I have to say if you've only ever had to spend a couple of hundred on a dog your a VERY lucky man ...... Or maybe mine and a few other's I know of are just unlucky!

Example -

Picker up on a shoot I work also. Cocker snapped both back legs in a rabbit hole last year. With other leg damage also bill was £2500.

Same dog this year - First day out picking up runs into a broken branch which went into it's chest bill £750 and ongoing.

Without insurance who would pay those sort of bills ....... ??

PS - Fancy sending me next weeks lottery numbers Kent :hmm:

Those bills tend to come down if you say the dog isn't insured and put it down. The main thing is you can get insurance for sub £20 to cover accidents and general illnesses. It's the all singing all dancing cover that is questionable. you really don't need death cover 10 mil is not necessary public liability wise. They add it to sound better and justify the cost. By the time you are paying £500 plus a year that adds up fast in a savings account

Picker up on a shoot I work also. Cocker snapped both back legs in a rabbit hole last year. With other leg damage also bill was £2500.

Same dog this year - First day out picking up runs into a broken branch which went into it's chest bill £750 and ongoing.

Without insurance who would pay those sort of bills ....... ??

You're right, I wouldn't - I would put the dog to sleep and buy another. It may sound harsh but at least it's honest.

Insurance for more than one or two dogs is not viable, if you can afford the premiums you probably don't need the insurance.

I am very fond of all my dogs but I'm afraid head rules heart when it comes to illness and injury. Having treated a dog for a broken leg once in my life I wouldn't do it again.