Break barrel air rifle

stokie

What is the best break barrel air rifle available Got a mate who's looking for one . He wants something he can pick up and shoot the odd crow or magpie around his farm yard . Doesn't want to be bothered with precharge. Wants to spend around £200 ish for gun and scope . Located around Leek / Stoke

tell him to buy a lightning.

That's the one gun I would avoid like the plague, I looked at one last week for an unhappy owner, Abysmal quality for the price, lousy grouping and a firing cycle like trying to ride a rabid kangaroo with whooping cough. BSA? Bloody Spanish Abortion.

He'd be better off buying a cheapie Chinese gun.

HW80 would be my choice. They're bomb proof and very accurate.

If he doesn't want one of those the main thing I've found is that weight is good in a springer. Every light gun I've had I've struggled to group well... My HW80 on the other hand is nearly as accurate as my old S200 pre charged gun - not quite but very nearly!

That's the one gun I would avoid like the plague, I looked at one last week for an unhappy owner, Abysmal quality for the price, lousy grouping and a firing cycle like trying to ride a rabid kangaroo with whooping cough. BSA? Bloody Spanish Abortion.

He'd be better off buying a cheapie Chinese gun.

each to their own. i had one, and never had a problem.

Old BSAs were pretty decent. the quality has taken a huge drop in recent years though. Terrible trigger/release mechanism, badly machined metal.

I really wouldn't recommend one to anybody these days.

However, there a lot of very good quality HW guns out there. I recently bought a 3rd (or even 4th) hand HW77K in .22. Heavy, but it shoots perfectly. 1987 build too. That's an underlever though

Old BSAs were pretty decent. the quality has taken a huge drop in recent years though. Terrible trigger/release mechanism, badly machined metal.

I really wouldn't recommend one to anybody these days.

However, there a lot of very good quality HW guns out there. I recently bought a 3rd (or even 4th) hand HW77K in .22. Heavy, but it shoots perfectly. 1987 build too. That's an underlever though

Does it have to be a break barrel? I have an HW97K and its lovely to shoot. I agree with njc110381 about weight and the 97k is very well balanced and pointable. Good for off-hand shots and easier to cock when lying down than a break barrel.

each to their own. i had one, and never had a problem.

I should qualify my earlier statement by saying the Lightning I looked at was a relatively new one, that's the ones that are not as good as the Chinese guns even though they are twice the price. Older Birmingham made guns are fine although still not up to HW standards.

I advised the owner to take it back to the gunshop and get his money back, the thing was unfit for purpose, the best group I could achieve at 25 yards was about 3 inches across.

Regards

Tim.

love pigeonwatch. So many people just queueing up to knock stuff. I've got a BSA lighting XL (first xl version, wooden stock) and it's proven its worth. Can't speak for it against the HW's, but its never let me down and accounted for hundreds of squizzers, rabbits and birds.

love pigeonwatch. So many people just queueing up to knock stuff. I've got a BSA lighting XL (first xl version, wooden stock) and it's proven its worth. Can't speak for it against the HW's, but its never let me down and accounted for hundreds of squizzers, rabbits and birds.

If you have a look through, I think you'll find that those of us who are knocking BSA are having a pop at the more recent guns.

Go have a good look at the metal on the cocking mechanism on a new Lightning (including how the mechanism is assembled), and compare it to a gun from 30 years ago. They have cut back on quality to a terrifying degree.

You can probably see a trend here.

Weihrach HW seems to be the way to go. Doesn't matter which one. Doesn't matter how old it is either. A thirty year old HW still performs like new.

I have a Weihrach HW80 by the way, and a BSA Airsporter Mk6.

The Weirach is quality.

Airsporter is a nice gun, but I only really bought it for nostalgia.

If you have a look through, I think you'll find that those of us who are knocking BSA are having a pop at the more recent guns.

Go have a good look at the metal on the cocking mechanism on a new Lightning (including how the mechanism is assembled), and compare it to a gun from 30 years ago. They have cut back on quality to a terrifying degree.

robbie.

Have to agree the HW80 is a fantastic gun ........having said that your old Lightning is still shooting really well.