Break barrel air rifle

stokie

love pigeonwatch. So many people just queueing up to knock stuff. I've got a BSA lighting XL (first xl version, wooden stock) and it's proven its worth. Can't speak for it against the HW's, but its never let me down and accounted for hundreds of squizzers, rabbits and birds.

Heavy recoil, bad twang and not so shiny build quality. Not knocking em just telling it like it is. It's why you see em for sale with less than a tin of pellets through em.

My old diesel astra did everything you would expect a car too, was still a pile of **** mind.

All the best

Karpman

HW 77. 80. 97. lets face it they are all good.

BSA Superstar or Airsporter.

Commeta 300. 400.

Hatsan very good range. very good prices. very reliiable and accurate.

I have a 1000s in .25 cal and its great around the farm its so hard hitting.

Scoped with a 3x9x56 and Silenced plus the gun £160. all in.

Have a look at Hatsans web site.

Budget Hatsan 55 or 60, probably the best sub £100 spring powered rifle you can buy, available at twice the price as a Webley Stingray.

Sub £300 HW95

Secondhand and lots of cash, Theoben Fenman, I have an old Theoben Sirocco and it is a mighty fine gun!

Always value your unbiased opinions Mr mole, you must of fired just about every modern air rifle and owned a fair majority of em. Fair play fella

Karpman

Always value your unbiased opinions Mr mole, you must of fired just about every modern air rifle and owned a fair majority of em. Fair play fella

Karpman

I have fired a BSA Supersport, nowhere near the same league as She Who Must Be Obeyeds HW95!

I have a Hatsan 60 even now, I like them, they are great guns, ok so mine is the gas ram but we bought a neighbour a 60S (well we owed him a favour and a friend ripped him off), he uses it and gets at least a couple of pigeons a week from his back garden.

Just got a Sirocco so am speaking from experience of the Pre HE system.

The Lightning got the most complaints on the BSA OG site, it is reported to be a pile.

The SMK XS19 is a good gun, just a damned awful trigger!

I've got a BSA lightning for rabbits and never missed 1 and the grouping is excellent. So it must be down to the person beind the gun :)

So you're saying all the people who have owned, used or worked on BSA lightnings don't know what they're talking about? You may have a good one, there are a few about but the rest are mostly diabolical and not fit for anything other than short range plinking.

I would suggest that you think your lightning is "excellent" because you haven't used a really good springer and don't know what you're missing.

As for shooting rabbits and never missing once? Cloud cuckoo land.

Stick up a pic of the kind of groups you call decent, shoot at 35 yards and put 20 shots inside a one inch circle with your Lightning and I'll go and buy one myself!

love pigeonwatch. So many people just queueing up to knock stuff. I've got a BSA lighting XL (first xl version, wooden stock) and it's proven its worth. Can't speak for it against the HW's, but its never let me down and accounted for hundreds of squizzers, rabbits and birds.

Its not a case of knocking , its a case of giving a honest answer , I have always shot spring guns and the lightning was and still is not a patch on the HW guns ,and I have owned both.

You may get on great with yours but I bet that if you tried a HW95 / 80 your lightning would not see the outside of the gun cupboard again .

Ive got a HW80 and a HW97 but wanted something a bit lighter. (anyone who's carried one of them for a couple of hours will know) I facied a HW95 a cheap one but could'nt find one eventualy I was drawn to the dark side and bought a Chinese copy of the 95 for £70. Striped it, fettled it, lubed it, and it aint bad.

MG]

Paladin

Edited by Paladin

If you are walking round the yard/farm a Gamo Whisper X would do nicely. Synthetic furniture, built in moderator and a double spring internals that are a doddle to cock. Nice groupings with RWS fiels lines (in .22). Mrs Gun swears by hers and has a nice haul of maggies, jackdaws and squizzers to her name. Got hers brand spankers with scope for around £220 at Game Fair rates.