Cooking Rabbit

njc110381

I have always wondered if there is a way of cooking Rabbits without them smelling too much. I quite like the taste of the meat once it's cooked, but by the time it's done the smell has put me off eating! I've only ever roasted them, which may be a bad plan. They are my main quarry, and although I don't waste them (the farmer likes them) I'd like to maybe eat some myself sometimes! Do any of you have any ideas? :yes:

I have always wondered if there is a way of cooking Rabbits without them smelling too much. I quite like the taste of the meat once it's cooked, but by the time it's done the smell has put me off eating! I've only ever roasted them, which may be a bad plan. They are my main quarry, and although I don't waste them (the farmer likes them) I'd like to maybe eat some myself sometimes! Do any of you have any ideas? :yes:

You need to paunch and skin them first..... ;)

BH

They have a smell, but certainly shouldn't stink!

You want to paunch them off as soon as you can really, the longer you leave it the more they might smell. They have scent glands which you need to make sure you get rid of otherwise you will taint the meat (either side of the genital mound).

Better than roasting is boil them up with stock veg, lovelly smell and you get more off them with the bonus of some lovelly game stock for later :yes:

Stick 'em in a slow cooker in chicken stock with some veggies and rosemary (put the rosemary in a bag) and cook for about 8 hours. The smell does your head in long before you get to taste it and it literally falls off the bones.

Dont roast em,,,,,,,,,,too dry.........................I do mine in stock with veggies and then make pies.........reduce the stock, add gellatine and then pour into the pie from the hole in the top..........

To me, fresh rabbit flesh stinks. No matter how soon I paunch them. It is a completely unique smell and in no way connected to the smell of the guts. I should know..... having processed tens of thousands of rabbits over the last 25 years or so. Also, I cannot stand the smell of it during cooking, no matter what I add to it to disguise the smell. Having said all that, I like the smell once it's cooked! So, I suppose, I should get someone else to cook it for me, then I might enjoy it. Strangely enough, I don't have this problem with Hares.

I posted that just before I left work, thought about it and should have said...

Its a very personal thing really, smell. One person might hate it, the other love it. One thing that works for other smells is run a tap whilst cleaning them, takes the smell away a bit..

I am the same with "cheesy" pigeon, can't stand it, makes me heave :good: Sickly horrible smell, not unlike strong cheese at room temperature which I absolutely love.

No explaining it, just don't like it. Probably the same with you and rabbits mate :blush:

I have the same problem, the smell allways puts me off eating them, :good:

but the dogs dont mind them they soon snaffel them down. :blink:

I heared that taking the gland out stops the smell to, think it was on that river cottadge programs. :blush:

I would really like to cook a rabbit and enjoy it :good:

kipper

After asking others about this it would appear that most people only partially remove the scent glands.

Do the job properly chaps :D

I was giving rabbit to a mate who claimed he knew what he was doing, so he got them paunched only. I only recently found out by hanging around for a beer when I dropped some round he wasn't doing this, nor was he correctly removing the *** :P

Glad I never ate rabbit at his place :P

• 1 month later...