Cooking Rabbit

njc110381

• 6 months later...
Soak it in milk? Sounds like a strange thing to do, but I'll give it a try. It's surprising how many of these old tricks work really well. I'll try the wine idea too, anything I can do to be able to enjoy eating what I shoot is a good thing! Cheers :/

Use a shringe and inject the meat with Port then Roast its nice>

All game is the athelete of animals, all are hunted & food for others ,so they have to be strong & fit......so, ya eating muscle, tight worked flesh...my tips for t'day...

paunch all meat,

soak in milk(if its a river animal)

in light salt water if ground game...24/48hrs

leave to drain in air(drip dry) cool place (shed/garage)

bag & freeze.........

de-frost..stand min24hrs cool place(fridge)

cook, ENJOY............ :D

NOTE:::::: IF THE ANIMAL IS SPOOKED OR PREGNANT THE MEAT WILL BE FULL OF HORMONES & ADRENALIN.... ;) YUK.......

& ITS NOT BLAND SUPERMARKET PROCESSES, POO!! YA EATING QUALITY GAMEMEAT.. :P

IT ALL IN THE CAPTURE.....SUPRISE, RELAXED KILL !! ;)

If it helps i have posted some time ago in the sporting pictures forum two pics of the bunny scent glands you need to remove, it is still there. i have tried to link it to this post alas i can't make it work ;) perhaps one of the more experienced members could do it.

hope this helps.

HERE ;)

I posted that just before I left work, thought about it and should have said...

Its a very personal thing really, smell. One person might hate it, the other love it. One thing that works for other smells is run a tap whilst cleaning them, takes the smell away a bit..

I am the same with "cheesy" pigeon, can't stand it, makes me heave ;) Sickly horrible smell, not unlike strong cheese at room temperature which I absolutely love.

No explaining it, just don't like it. Probably the same with you and rabbits mate ;)

A bit like Quail, i can't stand the smell. De-boning Quail is a job i hate enough anyway without that horrible smell! All part of the fun when your a chef ey!

• 2 weeks later...
To me, fresh rabbit flesh stinks. No matter how soon I paunch them. It is a completely unique smell and in no way connected to the smell of the guts. I should know..... having processed tens of thousands of rabbits over the last 25 years or so. Also, I cannot stand the smell of it during cooking, no matter what I add to it to disguise the smell. Having said all that, I like the smell once it's cooked! So, I suppose, I should get someone else to cook it for me, then I might enjoy it. Strangely enough, I don't have this problem with Hares.

Buy a big Peg :lol::lol::oops: :o