Model : NOVA

Type : Shotgun

Mechanism : Pump action

Calibre : 12 gauge

Barrel Length : Not specified

Stock Length : Not specified

Price : £325 (S/H) @ US$575

Red,

Yes I have got a Winchester 1400. It is not the newest of guns and has seen life, but it does the job of pigeonning for me. It was not expensive ( what else did you expect from me ? ) and I can hit things regularly with it. I can lay it down in the hide and not bother if it gets scuffed or whatever.

Salopian,

Would you mind asking your mate, or do you know of any good cleaning techniques for the 1400 ?. I get the infrequent jam and would like to stop them if I can. Because of the age and obvious usage the gun has had could it be the magazine spring that just needs replacing ?

Any tips would be gratefully received.

A poor cleaning regime, will obviously cause jamming, as will other factors.

I dont know which cartridges you are using, and would not start to tell you what to buy, except to say that if your cartridges are not loaded into 70mm cases, then this could be your answer.

Most semi autos are designed to shoot 70mm cases, not the 67.5 mm cases used by many UK cartridge manufacturers. I am biased, my various Beretta have cycled anything that I have ever loaded, but that can not be said for many of the other manufactures.

I can only suggest that you obtain some suitable cartridges in 70mm cases. Go and shoot them. The first cartridge will fire ok, if the second fails to load correctly, or the first eject correctly, at least youve ruled out inappropriate cartridges.

webber

Red

Several of my shooting companions have owned beretta 303's and they have got a lot of use out of them without many problems.

But the one problem a relation of mine had was he could not get a good price for it when he went to sell it and the gun looked as if it was only out of the box.

Webber,

Thanks for your comments. I had never given this aspect of semi autos a thought, other than to try and find the right cartridge for this gun.

I have recently shot off a 1000 Clear pigeon and would imagine I was getting a jam every 30-40 shots. ( Anyone any idea what size they are ??) I have just moved onto a 1000 Express Pigeon specials, and lo and behold, they are 65 mm minimum chambers . So far, no jams.

What would you consider to be a realistic cleaning regime, Webber ??

Well sniper I clean my gun everytime I take it out even if I haven't fired a shot, if you get into this habit it will come naturally everytime you go shooting.

Ollies policy has to be the best, text book answer, fine if you have the time.

I clean my Beretta at 500 to 1000 shots, but its wiped down every time it goes back into the cabinet.

If your gun is jamming at this frequency, I doubt that it is anything to do with cartridges, but the only way to be sure is to try.

Your problem probably is either cleaning or wear induced. I know that there are several fans of the Remi on this forum, but I do believe that they are a bit of a ****** to clean and prone to jamming. On the other hand I have owned several Beretta semis, the only jamming that I have experienced has been cartridge induced. I had several batches of cartridges that fired ok, but the end cap was pulled of by the ejector claw. Eley sorted that problem and were fantastic. I also had a few Gamebore that were out of shape, the response from Gamebore was totally unaceptable. I no longer buy Gamebore on principle.

I know that I am biased, but buy a Beretta as soon as you can afford one!

I have had various jokes with my mates about just what it will shoot, weve never tried ice lolly sticks or golf balls, but I am sure that you get my drift.

webber

Sniper, Spoke to my mate about your Win 1400, he suspects the piston spring is probably weak (it is common for them to be upto 3" shorter) change about every 12 months, and keep them clean.When I mentioned cleaning about every 500 to 1000 shots he seemed to get agitated!!!!! Perhaps more frequently might please him.

• 7 years later...

I got a Berretta 391 3" 30" barrel Synthetic and its the dogs dooda's use it for wildfowling too.

Agreed!

Fabulous gun...gas operated, back bored, multi choke, chrome barrel and you can feed it anything.

:good:

Edited by Robin128

This has to be a record for the oldest thread to be resurrected :yes:

well after reading all that then seeing the above post and realising it was 7 years old, what is the semi of choice now as i,m in the market for 1. cheers stav