.177 fac

shinybum

There is some valid argument for a .25 cal over a .22 in FAC air, there is no valid argument in favour of a .177 outside of the interest factor of an enthusiast. uses more air, carries less energy and only slightly faster and flatter than a legal limit gun with inferiour terminals when the shot is only just outside the sweet spot compared to the bigger pills.

Never convert 12 ft lb to FAC, its like lighting the fire with £20 notes! buy FAC air secondhand were there are more sellers than buyers sell the 12ftlb to the large market that exists and put the money in the bank

First off, and before anyone says anything, yes, I have too much time on my hands at the moment, still recovering from a Knee operation.

I don't see anyone here slating the .177 in FAC, people are simply pointing out the benefits, or otherwise of the calibre in FAC, just like you have done in several posts, and you are running at about 21ft lb, which is about the most powerful it is sensible to run in .177, and using Heavy pellets to do it, which you also say are fine, if it isn't windy. You also run .20 and .22 in FAC so obviously accept the other calibres do better in some situations!

Getting a .22 to 30ft lb is easy, accuracy wise it is just as good as a .177, and the heavier .22 pellets also retain/deliver their energy better, also uses less air. For most makes of FAC Air, a .177 at 20 ft lb will use about the same or MORE air than a .22 at 30ft lb, so shots per charge will almost always be as good, or better with the .22, which is also producing 50% more power at the same time!

Over penetration is something spouted off a lot in air rifle threads, if you hit a crow in the head at 30-40-50 yards it will over penetrate with any FAC air. The .22 FAC is perfectly capable of 55 yard crow head shots, but would I personally bother, NO, this isn't target practise its Pest Control. Hit a crow, pigeon, rat, rabbit, etc almost anywhere else and you will stop it with a .22 because it will deliver its energy better, make a bigger hole and pass through less often than a .177.

post-20848-0-85059700-1352721516_thumb.jpg

Ok that is 40 yards, but it is also only 25ft lb not 30, it is also an 8 shot group, every one of which would have removed crows head!! :good: .....And back from when I was a boy! :lol: :lol:

Of course a .177 has its uses, especially when you have a .20 and .22 as well, but the .22 in FAC is without doubt the most versatile/useful by far.

ATB! :good:

PS

What power are you actually running your .22 at? if it is around 30ft lb I don't understand your great affection for the .177, the .22 at 30ft lb will destroy a .177 at 21ft lb in every respect. Running them both at 21ft lb will not produce such conclusive results, but that is hardly realistic in FAC! :good: But frankly, I'd still take a 21ft lb .22 over a 21ft lb .177 for general usefulness anyway! :good:

i run my 22 fac at 30 ft lbs, as stated before i reckoned i had to try the 177 in fac,i find it particularly useful shooting squirrels and roosting birds,just as yet i find it kills just like my 22 or 20 cal. yes i agree the 22 hits harder and is more common. my affection for the little pellet is that it still kills, shot placement is the main factor as with any calibre...

a21 ft lb 22 will have a brave loopy trajectory whereas the 177 wont...

I don't get the whole European thing that the .22 is the way forward if you look at the antipodes where there are no power restrictions people don't both with the calibre. If they want to pack a real punch they go for a 222 or rimfire

That will be because this is the Air Rifle section! :good:

...and getting FAC air is commonly much easier than other FAC in the UK!

Following Export Orders - Where some Countries are limited to .177 Air Gun's

Mostly without Power limit's

Pax have made a growing Range of FAC Suitable pellets

All Bullet Designed - so can take All power levels

First Heavywight was the 15.00 Grain Defiant - works Well in most Guns

Especially FAC Rapids

Also sold as the FX Twist Pellet -

Piledriver @ 21.00 Grains small hole in and Large @ Back - Carries more weight down range

Also known to work well if right head size in Sub 12FP guns against Rat's

BOB/R

http://www.defiantpellets.com