FAC for pigeons ?

Danoi99

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Getting an FAC shotgun is pretty easy, the key is WHY do you want it. My advice is to say for ' crop protection'.

I have had 2. A semi and a pump. However like many on here I think that the standard 3 shot is perhaps the best option. My SA was an 8 shot but I only used to put about 3-4 carts in at any one time. And should you have an FAC rated shotgun and then want to sell, only FAC holders with slots can buy it, dramatically reducing the number of potential buyers.

Get a 3 shot and enjoy. I am now using an O/U and its great.

Kind regards

Rav

• 2 weeks later...

what a load of balls about you only NEED 3 shot or the like.... yeah that might be the case sometimes but sometimes you might need those extra few shots, whats the harm in having them there?... there is nothing wrong with having them there just in case... unless you're going to moan about carrying the extra weight of a few cartridges?

My FAC is away for variation for a FAC shotgun for crop protection, its a much quicker, easier and cheaper process than having to go through the entire application for a SGC.

Also a complete load of balls saying you shoot more carts (and miss) just because you're able too, as said above when out shooitng I shoot no more wasted rounds with my .22lr 10 shot semi than I do with my bolt action .17hmr.... if I do shoot more with the extra mag capacity and self loading .22 it means more kills not more wasted rounds.

Personally, I did not buy my FAC shotgun to 'blaze away' and shoot at birds 'probably out of range' thus causing them to 'die a lingering death'. I have only fired the 8 shots off in one go, twice, and that was into an open field, to test the shotgun out.

Mine is used mainly for Crows and Jackdaw's. When I'm decoying them, at times there are up to 10-15 birds coming into my pattern. I usually take out 3-4 birds with 4-5 shots, and most of these birds are approx 15-30 yards away. The rest, by then, are flying away, and they are then shot at on their return.

Many years ago, I used my Lanber O/U and, in the space of just under 3 hours, shot 128 corvids. Had I owned my FAC shotgun then, I know for a fact that I would have, at least, doubled my tally. The birds were in a feeding frenzy,and were landing around my decoys in numbers of 20-30, and I could'nt reload the O/U quick enough.

I also got mine more for crows than pigeon. I drove round the shoot in a hard winter feeding and every feeder i came to was surrounded in crows scoffing all our wheat ! When you have approx 80 feeders out that is a lot of wheat and a lot of money at the end of the day.So when i applied i told them that it was for this purpose and it was done in a couple of days.

I have the same gun as steve and when the crows are around a feeder i have fired 4 5 or even 6 shots.

what a load of balls about you only NEED 3 shot or the like.... yeah that might be the case sometimes but sometimes you might need those extra few shots, whats the harm in having them there?... there is nothing wrong with having them there just in case... unless you're going to moan about carrying the extra weight of a few cartridges?

My FAC is away for variation for a FAC shotgun for crop protection, its a much quicker, easier and cheaper process than having to go through the entire application for a SGC.

Also a complete load of balls saying you shoot more carts (and miss) just because you're able too, as said above when out shooitng I shoot no more wasted rounds with my .22lr 10 shot semi than I do with my bolt action .17hmr.... if I do shoot more with the extra mag capacity and self loading .22 it means more kills not more wasted rounds.

Yup Cat knows * all about pigeon shooting :whistling:

The fact does remain if you miss with 3 then odds are you will miss with the rest by the time most are out of range, and the other fact is you then have an auto you can't take wildfowling or shoot any bird not on the general license.

Yup Cat knows * all about pigeon shooting :whistling:

The fact does remain if you miss with 3 then odds are you will miss with the rest by the time most are out of range, and the other fact is you then have an auto you can't take wildfowling or shoot any bird not on the general license.

Yes, I love these "experts" on the Forum that just talk a lot of balls.

Pigeons are not punks, they don't warrant the "Dirty Harry" style treatment and an 8 shot semi is a completely unsuitable tool for use over decoys.

If they were that good far more expert pigeon shots would use them, but the fact is, they don't, enough said..?

Cat.

I bought my 8 shot pump before Hungerford and held it on sgc before the subsequent clamp down and have it now on part 1 FAC. The original reason that I bought it was because when we went out rabbiting with lamp from back of vehicle I was always being caught out unloaded with my SxS and the safety frame was battering the barrels. I have used it to shoot pigeons but with any multi shot you will have to keep a tight count on the shots or you will find that you will run out of ammo in the mag. (dead mans click).

Generaly There aint no real advantage to a big multi and you’ve got the agro of part 1 also.

I love my pump though and so does everyone on our friends get together clay shoot in the autumn. Bit of a talking point at the barbeque after the shoot.

Edited by fortune

I got my 1st FAC shotgun using "crop protection" as my 'good reason'. Membership of the NPPC was all the FLD required. I love using my FAC shotguns for pigeons but i usually have better results with my O/U (in terms of shots to kills ratio simply because most of my flying target practice is with my O/U). However, using FAC shotgun for rabbits i get much better results as there are more occasions when you need a greater number of shots.

You've said that you want to get an FAC shotgun to get off more shots quickly, but that you're wanting to get a pump? Now pumps can be operated quickly (i'm a keen PSG'er and i can work mine quite quickly and have witnessed people using pumps faster than most people use an O/U!), nevertheless pumps are generally slower than semi's so i doubt you'd get the number of shots off you're hoping for, apart from at a settling flock.

you said you didn't have the gun in your last post now you have a 5 shot semi, worth making your mind up on the current story, the only real negative is not being able to go wildfowling as for the rest well I'm yet to see people actually use one and have any advantage and the last person i saw with one was moaning like hell about the weight affecting the guns balance. He had just used a lot more than 3 trying to shoot a hare on a hare drive and the excuses were flowing.

I hereby apologise to all members and guests of Pigeon Watch, for my stupidity in having used the Comic Sans font for starting this topic. I understand this may have caused some members distress .

I promise to use the Arial font on all my posts with Pigeon Watch from now on, and I once again apologise for any eye or brain strain caused by trying to read the totally illegible Comic Sans font .

Yours sincerely

Danoi99

so you should be my old china now get ya teeth brushed lol

ah the old new versus old poster retort... its true forum posts do equate to life experience and knowledge...

Indeed and I'd lay money on cat having shot 10 times the pigeons you have, and thats a conservative number it is very probably many more :good: the issue is anyone can come on here and claim all sorts of experience most have gained it sitting behind a computer screen some actually have some experience. Round here most know each other so you get the idea if people are talking bullocks or not