cellotex on a flat roof

Paddy Galore!

hi chaps, been doing a roof and it incorporates a flatroof between two pitched roofs, the timber work isn't a problem but the spec says 100mm of cellotex on top of the ply then another skin of ply, then either fiberglass or felt. so what do i stick the insulation stuff down with please?

cheers,

gram.

edit, normally i'd leave all that stuff to guys in the know, but it's a small builder i'm doing the work for and i don't think he knows much about it.

Edited by GRAM71

Long screws? Screfix do some 150mm ones,any glue will only be as strong as the bond between the foil and the foam,

Can you put a 4x2 in the middle,like a noggin to fix to?

sorry rupert, spec says no penetrating fixings through celotex but didn't give a product to use, we were going to try sticcobond acrylic flooring adhesive but it's getting frosty! cheers anyway

will check with the supplier we use & let u know tomoz.

cheers mate, much appreciated, googled the main site but i can't find anything listed.

hi chaps, been doing a roof and it incorporates a flatroof between two pitched roofs, the timber work isn't a problem but the spec says 100mm of cellotex on top of the ply then another skin of ply, then either fiberglass or felt. so what do i stick the insulation stuff down with please?

cheers,

gram.

edit, normally i'd leave all that stuff to guys in the know, but it's a small builder i'm doing the work for and i don't think he knows much about it.

you dont need to stick or fix the cellotex/ kingspan down mate, just lay it on and fix the ply (through the insulation) into the joists with long screws.

edited:

just read post saying no fixings through? ??? ???

who wrote the spec? if its structural engineer or local authority i would be asking them for a fixing detail!

they cant tell you what not to fix with without an alternative when it comes to roofs as wind shear/ deflection, weight of snow etc all comes into play!

I wouldnt guess at it mate!

Edited by carpentermark

guys, it has to be glue of some sort, says so in the spec, the building regs bod is a bit of a stickler too, and so is the boss, old school builder, i only got the job after he saw i had some proper saw horses, not those shoddy plastic/alloy folding things :lol: we had a good long chat about some of the monkeys he's had on site before :oops:

While watching grand designs in the past i have seen them use an areosol adesive in a tin like exp foam (750ml) to stick insulation 300mm thick to vertical concrete,then a render was applied.I dont know what it is called dut it is also advertised as a replacment for drywall adesive in drylining applications

To appear the man of the moment i would ring cellotex technical and talk to them they are usually very helpful.

You need to speak to your regs guy. I can't speak for a single membrane but if fibreglass is going down on top, the ply needs to be mechanically fixed through the insulation. As the fibreglass expands and contracts it can lift the boards if not fixed correctly. Even more important is a perimeter timber, so the edges of the roof are fixed down hard, not through a compressable material (i.e the cellotex).

What you have listed is standard spec for a warm roof to take fibreglass. If it was me, there wouldn't be a guarantee issued at the end of the job without the fixings. They are usually around 170mm long with a large flange head and torx fitting, which need setting into the top board.

Single membrane, such as Alwitra, may be fine with your spec, although doesnt require the top layer of ply and when I've seen it fitted they still screw down the cellotex using long screws with 2 inch washer heads.

Hope this helps

JF

try Sikaflex, you can get it from builders merchants, if its a small area it should be ok ......

the reason that you cant use fixings is you will potentially create a cold bridge through the fixing from the outside to the inside, building control dont like these !!!!!! to overcome this when using fixings to fix insulation board alone then tube fixings are used

i dont understand why a second layer of plywood is required ?

i would lay one layer of ply and then fully adhere the insulation and waterproofing layer

edited to add the above applies to single ply, no idea when it comes to fibreglass

Edited by meinderby

try Sikaflex, you can get it from builders merchants, if its a small area it should be ok ......

the reason that you cant use fixings is you will potentially create a cold bridge through the fixing from the outside to the inside, building control dont like these !!!!!! to overcome this when using fixings to fix insulation board alone then tube fixings are used

i dont understand why a second layer of plywood is required ?

i would lay one layer of ply and then fully adhere the insulation and waterproofing layer

edited to add the above applies to single ply, no idea when it comes to fibreglass

See post 9 . Already recommended sikaflex

cheers,

gram.

go onto the celotex site and you can download the fixing instructions, your BCO needs a talking to if he won't allow mechanical fixings as certainly nowhere does celotex say you can stick it down. There are guidelines to number of fixings based on wind loads etc that you need to comply with. Cold bridging wise bearing in mind you are fixing into timber will be minimal and factored into the specification of thickness you are being asked to fit. Personally I would download and print out the fixing instructions then work out the wind speed part for the area the work is to be done in and call him out again. Then you want it in writing they are telling you not to fix as per the manufacturers specifications and make sure you keep a copy of that and the householder does.

hi chaps, thanks for all the suggestions and advice, in the end the boss called the architect just to see what he said, "use long screws!" he replied :lol:

i guess it really didn't matter afterall :lol: , as for wind sheer, there's no worry as the flat roof is basically just a large gulley surrounded on 3 sides by pitched roof. All done now and looking good :good: