smoking out rabbits?

Mr Majyk

ive got a small permission with a friend for a bit of rabbit control, ironically its in a petting farm, the type where town folk come to see animals (including rabbits in cages, but were not allowed to shoot them :lol: ) the landowner has been very happy with the work we've done so far to clear the rabbits using .22lr and subsonic ammo. but we have one small warren in an enclosure. the problem being that theres no safe way to fire at the warren so i thought about purse nets over the burrows and as i dont have any ferrets and i dont know anyone with ferrets maybe i could use some kind of "smoke grenade" to flush the rabbits out and into the nets? just wondering if anyone had ever done this? is it a legal method of vermin control? and if it is where can i get some "smoke grenades" id like non toxic ones though as i do sell the meat and ive got someone who buys the tanned fur from me.

well im hopeing that smoke would spook them enough to get them out the warren and as far as i know most animals reaction to "smoke" is usually to leave the area sharpish!

cant even use an air rifle as on one side theres a pen with llamas in at just the right height to get hit by a stray pellet and the other side is a raised pig pen, again at an inconvenient height.

Edited by Mr Majyk

well im hopeing that smoke would spook them enough to get them out the warren and as far as i know most animals reaction to "smoke" is usually to leave the area sharpish!

cant even use an air rifle as on one side theres a pen with llamas in at just the right height to get hit by a stray pellet and the other side is a raised pig pen, again at an inconvenient height.

BUT, the smoke generators are NOT toxic smoke as caused by a fire, they are NON Toxic and NON Irritant! Bunny is asleep half the time down his hole so he isn't even going to notice!

Just my view, I have never tried this on the bunny, never had cause too, mine get shot, drop boxed or ferreted, and in the rare and very tricky situations they get Aluminium Phosphide, thats the end of the problem.

Let me know how you get on, I simply don't know, but most things tell me this isn't going to work, hey, I could learn something here!

ATB! :good:

I had a small bury in my garden a couple of years ago. They were youngsters having a first attempt at setting up home. I couldn't get the ferrets in because it was a box hedge about 5 ft thick, and being the middle of summer the garden was too full to get a shot at them from anywhere. There is a stream the other side of the hedge though... I blocked up most of the holes, set a large dirty water submersible pump I use for emptying footings into the stream, stuck the 2" hose into the highest hole as deep as i could and let em have it. They came out.

I had a small bury in my garden a couple of years ago. They were youngsters having a first attempt at setting up home. I couldn't get the ferrets in because it was a box hedge about 5 ft thick, and being the middle of summer the garden was too full to get a shot at them from anywhere. There is a stream the other side of the hedge though... I blocked up most of the holes, set a large dirty water submersible pump I use for emptying footings into the stream, stuck the 2" hose into the highest hole as deep as i could and let em have it. They came out.

Well thats one way to do it! :lol:

There are several problems with the Rodenator.

First off the legislation around it is a nightmare, you can't KILL rabbits with it, just demolish the burrows when they are out :hmm: :hmm: , and if you believe the reports many people have been injured by them (Not too difficult to believe looking at the demonstration), on top of that look at the cost!

There are several problems with the Rodenator.

First off the legislation around it is a nightmare, you can't KILL rabbits with it, just demolish the burrows when they are out :hmm: :hmm: , and if you believe the reports many people have been injured by them (Not too difficult to believe looking at the demonstration), on top of that look at the cost!

yes mate it was a tongue in cheek post hence the lol but i know what you mean,

my boss has the use of one he said it cost his mate some £1300+ not cheep

colin

I read somewhere once that soaking rags in creosote and wedging them down the burrow will make the rabbits come above ground eventually. Not tried this myself though so can't confirm this works....

I'm sure it will but its nasty stuff. I've forced rabbits to abandon fresh burrows dug in the garden by daubing Stockholm tar on stones and pushing them down the holes and spreading it in the hole entrance. I tried it because I know its used to stop various animals tail biting and though I love the smell myself its horrible stuff on your clothes or stuck on the hairs of your arm. Perhaps rabbits feel the same about having it on their feet.

Farmers certainly used to use creosote to evict badgers in the old days before the badger act. But its very toxic to the animal and the soil. Stockholm tar is harmless.

I read a book on ferreting years ago called pugs and drummers.

In there it had the recipe for some smoke bombs designed to remove ferrets that had killed down below.

It was brown paper soaked in a saltpetre delusion not sure if there was anything else in it tho worth a look if that's what you want to do.

All the best Karl.

Edited by Amazed

In my youth I used to visit my uncles farm in Cornwall,,,,,, when he had problems with moles and/ or rabbits in the garden he used to put carbide flakes down the runs ,,he then pored water on the carbide and blocked the hole,,,, the resultant gas would drive them out

Used to be able to buy it in cycle shops,,,,Now maybe youd have to get it from caving supplies or such

Very effective DONT SMOKE NEAR IT

harrypen

• 4 weeks later...