sako quod 22lr

SHIPPERS

a common problem. Mine did the same. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find a link to the post that someone put up showing a fix for the problem. It involved filing a very small amount of metal off the top of the extractor claw. the explanation was that on some Quads the claw is a fraction too big and isn't able to get deep enough into its recess so in turn doesn't hook properly under the rim of some ammo. (Sorry that sounds like word spaghetti!!).

Worth searching for the post as it had a couple of photos that made it very clear, suffice to say it worked and my Sako wa 100% cure of the problem.

Hope you can find it or that the pic owner sees your post and can offer help again!

• 3 weeks later...

hi sakoquad thanks for you link about eject prob .got out at last too see how it worked ,was fine for 4 shots then back came the old problem.have taken the barrel out then placed a spent case in it .i then offerd up the bolt to the case until the eject claw located over it.i could see a small gap between the face of the barrel and bolt,when i pushed the bolt hard to the barrel face i could see the ejecter arm move out a small amount,does this mean i need to take a bit more metal off the front of the claw?it seems to me this small movement of the claw is why it does not get enough grip to pull the spent case out.what say you

hi sakoquad thanks for you link about eject prob .got out at last too see how it worked ,was fine for 4 shots then back came the old problem.have taken the barrel out then placed a spent case in it .i then offerd up the bolt to the case until the eject claw located over it.i could see a small gap between the face of the barrel and bolt,when i pushed the bolt hard to the barrel face i could see the ejecter arm move out a small amount,does this mean i need to take a bit more metal off the front of the claw?it seems to me this small movement of the claw is why it does not get enough grip to pull the spent case out.what say you

Difficult to say to be honest without being able to see it. What you don't want to do is take too much off of course! I filed a small amount off and tried it - it was improved but some cases were still getting stuck intermittently so I took a bit more off and it has worked fine since on a variety of ammo.

On the link I posted I know it showed a tiny bit of metal filed off the underside of the claw where it would actually make contact with the lip of the case to pull it out but I didn't need to do that.

Proceed with great caution as you don't want to weaken the claw by filing too much metal away but as long as it is looking like the one in the link I don 't think you will have any probs!

I use a toothbrush to brush the breech area clean occasionally as well as a lot of crud collects there.

thanks all for your input, i clean the barrel every time i shoot with a bore snake so fined it hard to see it is a dirt promlem,when i use the 17hmr no trouble at all same with the 22wmr maybe the 22lr has a tighter chamber,who knows,i will take a bit more off the claw and see how we go,thanks too all once again.

hi, its my link on SD

since then i have filed a tiny bit off the top of the claw (top as in the top in th epicture on the SD link)

the issue is the claw needs to work on magnum and LR cases and as such the LR cases present a much smaller lip.

the claw can come into contact with the recess in the barrel and what you remove is allowing the claw to get closer to the centre of the chamber.

but as it arcs further you can go a tiny bit too far and have the lip come into the rim of the case instead of under the rim.

hence the fraction taken off the underside of the claw

all this is made much worse bit crud in the chamber and using rounds like CCI segs that will jam in any chamber

works fine now but it needs some trial and error and fractional polishing with a needle file

good luck

thanks bewsher 500 for your post,i took a bit more off the out side of the claw today and will try that first.if no joy will try to take a verey small amout off the inside of the claw as i can see to much off this area and the claw will be wreked.can see this will be a slowly slowly job,but i will get there.thanks again all