Cometa Air rifles, any good ?

Danoi99

My freind has asked me if he should go ahead and buy an air rifle made by Cometa.

Has anyone got any knowledge about this firm? cuz I have been out the air rifle loop for a long time and haven't got the foggiest!

He said it was retailing at around the £120 mark ( new....no scope ), had a plain beech stock, it's a single shot, break barrel springer. ( couldn't give me the name of the model, sorry )

I am inclined to say chuck a few more bob at it and get a BSA !! What say you ??

ps. He want's it to shoot pigeons and crows that are crapping all over his house !! are they powerfull enough ?

Edited by Danoi99

At that price it's likely to be the 100 or 200 models. Basic entry level air rifles, I don't think either are at full power since they are designed for juniors. For that kind of money he would probably get something from Hatsan which is full power.

BSA? Avoid the Spanish made ones generally, a secondhand Birmingham gun is better made but will cost a reasonable amount.

If he just wants to shoot pigeons and crows from his roof then I hope he lives at least 400 yards from his nearest neighbour and owns or has permission on all the land around him, otherwise he will end up in trouble.

Yeah, as Timmytree says, i'd be more inclined to look for a Birmingham made BSA. Or save up a bit more and get a second hand HW. You're going to end up with more gun for your money if you go second hand than a new Cometa. But again, like Timmytree, are you sure he knows what he's doing? remind him that a fire arms offence is not just about where the pellet is fired from but where it ends up. If it goes beyond his property, it's a fire arms offence...

At that price it's likely to be the 100 or 200 models. Basic entry level air rifles, I don't think either are at full power since they are designed for juniors. For that kind of money he would probably get something from Hatsan which is full power.

BSA? Avoid the Spanish made ones generally, a secondhand Birmingham gun is better made but will cost a reasonable amount.

If he just wants to shoot pigeons and crows from his roof then I hope he lives at least 400 yards from his nearest neighbour and owns or has permission on all the land around him, otherwise he will end up in trouble.

Thanks for the advice, I will pass it on ! And yes, he lives in the middle of nowhere and owns all the land !! so no worries there ........

Hatsan 55 or 60 is my recommendation. Sold for twice the price as a Webley Stingray. German barreled, nice 2 stage trigger, powerlok spring, anti beartrap mechanism on it, nice walnut stock, all for under £100 (well if you shop around it is). Has open sights as well so a scope is not immediately necessary (but severely recommended)!

Wilbur.jpg

Nice looking rifle as well! This is my one!

Edited by secretagentmole

The Cometa 220 is a 10.5 ftlb gun.

The Cometa 300 is a 11.5 ftlb gun.

The Cometa 400 phoenix is a 11.5 ft lb gun.

I have had a 300 for years and it`s had thousands of pellets through it.

The blueing is still good as is the stock.

All it`s had in 12 years is a trigger shear and a new spring. £40. £20 each job.

They are accurate and reliable.

The 300 and the 400 in there home country are 20 ftlb guns.

So there`s not a lot of recoil with them being tuned down for the UK market.

I still have my 300. And i bought my sons new Rifles.

A Cometa 300 for the oldest and a 220 for my youngest. Scoped and Silenced

Hatsan 55 or 60 is my recommendation. Sold for twice the price as a Webley Stingray. German barreled, nice 2 stage trigger, powerlok spring, anti beartrap mechanism on it, nice walnut stock, all for under £100 (well if you shop around it is). Has open sights as well so a scope is not immediately necessary (but severely recommended)!

Wilbur.jpg

Thanks a lot mate, I will pass on your comments to my mate in Wales !! :good:

Wilbur.jpg

thats a nice looking gun for the money, they also come in .25 cal option also do they not ?and i fancy an open sighted gun in the cabinet myself.

• 1 year later...

Wilbur.jpg

+1.... Or even better ... The Hatson Sniper.