Bitch pups costing more than dogs????????

Elby

You can breed from a bitch and therefore make money yourself.

Bitches worth more as you can breed a litter from a bitch...... Same with most livestock......

In fact I can't think of a mamal where the male is worth more? Ferrets perhaps?

How about a good quality bull.

Bitches worth more as you can breed a litter from a bitch...... Same with most livestock......

In fact I can't think of a mamal where the male is worth more? Ferrets perhaps?

The fact that you can breed from a bitch should have no relevance.

Costs the breeder exactly the same money to get it to 8 weeks.

Livestock is different imo

Yes but you can make money from having a dog at stud too.

it's quite common for the owner of the dog to have the pick of the litter so in effect getting a pup worth on average £400-600, whereas the owner of the bitch gets on average 6-8 pups at the same price each, you do the maths.

And most people only want there pedigree bitch to be covered with a good line pedigree dog, so unless you have good lines then your dog is not going to earn you good money,remember if there were 4 dogs in the litter your dog came from and you are charging silly money for a cover,there are three others that might not charge as much.

My point is breeders take the ****.

They shouldn't up the price because of potential profits in the future, most bitches will never have a litter.

Most dogs will never cover a bitch,but it is the same in any business supply and demand.bitches are also perceived to be more biddable.

The other side of the coin is that they can ask what they want and you can take your money elsewhere or accept the premium.

That's exactly what I would do.

Bred many many pups but never charged extra for a bitch, don't see it as right and never will.

A rip off imo.

If in 10 years you haven't bred from your bitch can you go back to the breeder and get the extra premium you paid cos she could have pups back?

Supply and demand has nothing to do with it.

Some people prefer dogs to bitches and visa versa, you shouldn't have to pay extra because of this.

The simple answer is more people prefer bitches, so the dogs are sold slightly cheaper to encourage people to buy them, may not make sense but that is why

Its funny because this ties in with a conversation I was having with someone last week who was saying there is a glut of puppies on the market at the moment and the local Dogs Trust (where he helps out) is overwhelmed with dogs and he puts it down to more people turning to puppy farming as a way of trying to earn a bit of extra cash. Can anybody be that stupid?

A top dog will earn more than a top bitch. A bitch has her breeding life ,age and number of litters,dictated by the Kc, a stud does not. A average bitch will earn more than an average dog because people use a top dog over the average bitch and sell pups off the studs pedigree. No one wants to use a average stud dog .

I sold dogs for less rather than bitches for more. The bitches were spoken for very early on and I wanted to make sure the dogs went. I was still left with a dog for an extra couple of weeks.

JF

That is the way i look at it....The dogs are being sold cheap and not the bitches being overpriced.

Most people see bitches as easier to train and having the "potential" to keep a pup off her to suceed the mother, you dont get that option with a dog unless you 1. own a suitable bitch 2. have a mate who wants to use your dog 3. make him up to FT or more. hence supply and demand

I used to have only bitches but now preffer dogs as they dont come into season at the worst possible times and dogs make bigger, bolder and stonger animals. I will potentially be looking for a bitch in 2014 so i might produce my own sucession line. Although my own dogs pedigree is heavily studded with some great winning trial dogs he is far from the norm in this regards in build and temprement, though he is in his first season of work its a bit early to say he is definatly the right material yet.

If i do produce a litter i should keep a dog pup myself 2016 and charge more for any bitches. Field trails have changed much over the years and i personally feel they might not indecate the type of dog i peronally want in the field. If it were otherwise i should not be forward planning the way i am

it has got plenty to do with breeding. People pay £500 for a bitch and think "i will get my money back when she has a litter. Any old **** bitch can be bred from but in general only the best dogs are used for stud work so if the dog does not turn out to be the best the dog aint going to earn any money. Lets face it most bitches that get bred from are not worth breeding from

Edited by cocker boy

It's got nothing to do with breeding its simply more people want bitches, hence most have to sell dogs cheaper to find buyers

They don't though Alex.

Dogs are sold at the price they should be and £50 extra is added on for a bitch, everybody knows it and saying dogs are discounted because they are dogs is bs sorry.

Bottom line is (and I've said this many times now) it costs the breeder exactly the same to get a bitch to 8 weeks as it does a dog.

They should be the same price end of