.17hmr cleaning, is there any point?

bunnybasher84

Very simlar here, I clean mine mine every 1000 rounds and its takes 5-10 shots to get back on zero which I dont mind. I do it as maintanance more than anything as it doesnt lose accuracy with increased usage !

But my DM80 gets cleaned every 500 rounds because of a build up of carbon / burnt powder !

ATB

Matt

I clean mine every 100 rounds otherwise groups open up to 2" plus at 100 yds which is hopeless. Don't ask me why, it just does. Its had about 3000 rounds through it but still insists on a 100 round clean. I clean with Forrest bore foam, nylon brushes and patches until squeaky spotless. Forrest is the quickest cleaner I've found. Takes 10 or 15 minutes rather than half the evening which has been the case with every other cleaner I've tried. If the last patch is truly spotless there is no shooting in and no change in zero. Obviously original zero was shot with a clean bore.

I've put approx 800 rounds through my 17HMR, and have'nt cleaned the barrel. The rest of the rifle gets wiped over though. I have'nt noticed any problems with accuracy yet. Also, my BRNO .22LR has had 1000's of rounds throught it, and the barrel has never been cleaned. Accuracy is excellent.

+1 put over 1000 rounds through my sako .17hmr never cleaned the barrel & it's spot on accurate same with the .22 I have, my advice would be if the accuracy goes off then clean the barrel till then leave well alone.

Hmr and lr are very different things - no lube is on a .17! what this means is moisure from the air gets under the fowling and pits the barrel,there is simply nothing to block it! dirt is then compressed deep into these fisures THAT RESULT. The reason most likely for the gun to not shoot after cleaning is its going to be a hard job to get realy clean again and so you move clods of filth around. .22 lr will hold a good degree of accuraccy without cleaning but is always at its best realy cleaned then leaded in with the same ammo you wish to use.

if you want to leave your guns dirty do so but it wont help thier accuraccy or lifespan

i clean .22 and hmr after every outing and have done so since i got them,have never suffered loss of accuracy or any other problems.I used to put patches through until they came out clean but on the advice and help of deckers on here now use bronze brushes and patches on the hmr until clean,once you ve put the brush through and you see the amount of **** that comes out you will probably do it all the time,although i just use patches on the .22 as its not really a very dirty round.The mod on the .17 is also cleaned after every outing,but the mod on the .22 about every 50 rounds.As has been said everybody has there own idea on the subject