flightline/roost shooting

bigman

Slowly getting the hang of the decoying pigeons where there feeding from hide etc , but interested in doing bit more roost shooting an flightline shooting do you use these lofting poles with decs on in an around the roost/sitty trees? then setup hide underneith tree ?

looking for some tips please guys think iv got a half descent flightline hour or so before sundown into a small wooded area where they roost

cheers

Just sit and watch what trees they land in, then sit underneath with your gun, just remember to let a couple land before you take a shot then you might be able to get a couple, if you fire straight away at the first bird all the others will ****** off, its the same if only one lands leave it a few minutes it will normally attract others.Try not to shoot too close to the outside of the wood either.

Edited by gilo17

I just stand at the edge of the wood where they are coming in with no kit or lofters so you can fine tune your position.

The main thing is to stay concealed until the last second by standing still just inside the edge or backed up against a tree.

They are quite easy to shoot the first few times but learn quickly.

Don't over shoot it, once every week or two is plenty

Prefer the side where the wind is blowing out of the wood towards them because it will slow them down and make them fly lower.

I do a lot of flight line and roost shooting threw Nov as you will see if you look at my post.

First thing you should do when roost shooting is spend a few hrs in the wood with out your gun. stand and watch where the pigeons are coming in and which tree they are going to, that way when you go back to shoot you will know where to stand with out having to move all the time to get the best spot.

I always stand with my back against a tree and just keep very still until they are in range.

don't roost shoot the wood to often, I do the woods I have 1s every two weeks.

Flight line shooting is the same, do your home work as a cpl of hrs just watching pays off.

Just look on the floor for loads of pigeon poo, that's where the birds are roosting up.

Yes you could just look for the poo as the above post says, but I much prefer shooting them as they flight into the wood rather than just sitting in a tree.

Much more sporting and its about sport for me. Thats why I spend a cpl of hrs the night before watching where they are flighting into the wood.

Yes you could just look for the poo as the above post says, but I much prefer shooting them as they flight into the wood rather than just sitting in a tree.

Much more sporting and its about sport for me. Thats why I spend a cpl of hrs the night before watching where they are flighting into the wood.

I never said shoot them in the trees.

Stand where the poo is as that's where the birds will be coming in to.

I never said shoot them in the trees.

Stand where the poo is as that's where the birds will be coming in to.

nobody said you said you said shot them in the tree. read what people write helps.

I said, I like to shot them as they flight into the wood: ie on the edge of the wood as they flight in.

I really dont care where you shoot them, I,m say what I like to do.

Edited by Actionpigeons

the other thing to think about is once the game season finishes lots of the shoots let beaters out roosting. Round here its much better to wait till February and go out on a saturday as everybody else will be out and it moves them about a lot more.

:stupid:

In Rugby they do a charity roost shoot over a few weeks in several woods. I did my first one last year, it's good fun and I'll be signing up again this year. :)

nobody said you said you said shot them in the tree. read what people write helps.

I said, I like to shot them as they flight into the wood: ie on the edge of the wood as they flight in.

I really dont care where you shoot them, I,m say what I like to do.

No, but you were replying to my post and implied that I shot them sat in the trees.

Read what YOU write helps more.

I use a few lofters to draw them in, but you only have a short time until the light goes so make sure you have clear line of sight through the trees and no low branches to catch your barrels as you swing, it is best to find the right spot then go back to it in daylight and check how much height you have under the branches, just clip off any in the way, I like to wait for them to settle then snipe-em with my air rifle, you can even hit them in poor light as they sillouette against the sky,

Edited by lakeside1000

No, but you were replying to my post and implied that I shot them sat in the trees.

Read what YOU write helps more.

Oh dear we are sensitive today, I implied You shot them sat in trees, oh I am sorry.

If a pigeon lands in a tree next to me when I am roost shooting, I would shoot it, if a pigeon lands while I am decoying, I would shoot it, if a pigeon lands in a sitter tree while I am flight line shooting, I shoot it.

so lets not go down the rd that its a mortal sin to shoot a sitter and I'm trying to say it wrong shall we, as I don't really care how you shoot them.

I am saying I like to roost shoot from the edge of the wood as you get more sporting shots, not standing where the pigeon poo is because that is where the birds are landing is it not!?

Edited by Actionpigeons

Oh dear we are sensitive today, I implied You shot them sat in trees, oh I am sorry.

If a pigeon lands in a tree next to me when I am roost shooting, I would shoot it, if a pigeon lands while I am decoying, I would shoot it, if a pigeon lands in a sitter tree while I am flight line shooting, I shoot it.

so lets not go down the rd that its a mortal sin to shoot a sitter and I'm trying to say it wrong shall we, as I don't really care how you shoot them.

I am saying I like to roost shoot from the edge of the wood as you get more sporting shots, not standing where the pigeon poo is because that is where the birds are landing is it not!?

They aren't necessarily going to land in the area where all the **** is. Quite often birds will circle the wood before coming in, as you know. This also offers sporting shots.

• 3 weeks later...

I always find i move from one spot to another and **** law they flight into the spot I have just left. ???

generally i try and find a clearing so that i am not firing 30g of 6 shot through a tree trunk.

I like to theorise that the pigeons prefer holly trees etc because of the warmth etc but ultimately its pure guess work.

looking back over 20 yrs the best roost shooting i had was in essex in a wood where the pigeons would pour in windy days happy memories and really sporting shots.

personally if i only 2hrs shooting left on this earth I would rather have wind like a hooligun, a semi automatic and shed loads of cartridges.