Another idiot with a gun!

Bloke

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why anyone seen being casual with where they point their gun must be challenged immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been earlier opportunities to pull him up about his muzzle awareness.

Now, interestingly, I pulled someone up about this in a gunshop 3 weeks ago. He'd brought in a S/S damascus steeled gun for looking at, had taken it out of the gunslip, and it was just lying closed sidelong along on the counter while he waited to be spoken to. It was pointing at myself and 2 other customers.

We'd all taken a step back, to be out of the line of the thing. I went up and asked him if he could please break it open.

His reply : No, as it was jammed shut, with 2 shells still in it.

My next lines are not repeatable. Suffice it to say, I wasn't particularly pleased.

I have no idea what he was thinking. Hell, 'thinking' isn't the right word for what he was doing.

Basically, I kicked off. Simple, first lesson weapon safety. Absolutely no excuse, ever.

Unfortunately, I've seen that on a few occasions over the years. Including someone on a MOD range who turned around with a loaded .303 that 'would not fire', as they put it.

RO had them gone quite rapidly, as I recall

Sounds to me like poor gun handling, was at a clay shoot once an this guy was about to shoot when the scorer called out that he had his last pair, he then turned round pointed the gun at all of us and started to eject the live cartridges out of the gun, on the same day another guy was using an auto and when he got to the last pair fired a shot into the ground, we asked him what he was doing and he said " I put 3 in every time is that not how you use an auto? And when I get to the end of the 10 clays I have one left in the gun so I fire it into the ground" myself and a friend then took it on ourselves to spend the next 10 minutes showing him how to use an auto!!.

As I said think this guy never been shown proper gun safety, if so this would never have happened.

At the distances suggested, I'm amazed nobody is dead.

I'm thankful that he won't be getting his certificate renewed - I doubt he'll be able to convince the FLD that he can hold a shotgun without a risk to the public!

Unless I've missed it, I didn't see where it said he fired more than one shot - I'm thinking that only one shot was fired, which caught 3 people?

I find it surprising that the people shot aren't wanting him to be sent to prison - especially the one who's lost her hearing - as although it may be an accident, to turn up to a shoot after such a large amount of alcohol is so irresponsible, and suggests a complete lack of consideration for the safety of others. He's no better than a drink driver.

I agree. My wife has only recently started shooting, and wanted a couple of lessons just so that she was happy that she is safe around guns. While I probably could have gone through safety briefs, she was happiest with an instructor doing it. In addition, she has really enjoyed breaking clays !

I'm thankful that he won't be getting his certificate renewed - I doubt he'll be able to convince the FLD that he can hold a shotgun without a risk to the public!

Unless I've missed it, I didn't see where it said he fired more than one shot - I'm thinking that only one shot was fired, which caught 3 people?

I find it surprising that the people shot aren't wanting him to be sent to prison - especially the one who's lost her hearing - as although it may be an accident, to turn up to a shoot after such a large amount of alcohol is so irresponsible, and suggests a complete lack of consideration for the safety of others. He's no better than a drink driver.

Yes, I think that the distance must have been much greater than 10 feet, partly for the victims to survive and partly for the shot to hit 3 of them.

This is clearly someone who we don't want in our sport - we can be pretty sure that he will never get a SGC again. Good riddance.

I had someone level a shotgun at my chest several years ago on a clay shoot and he didnt appear to understand why i got everso slightly upset and swore at him.Theres no greater cure for constipation than seeing an obvious novice pull an O/U from its slip then proceed to chat away while im staring down the naughty end of the gun.

If he is a license holder and a regular clay shooter he is an absolute disgrace. I have the up most sympathy for those shot, it cannot have been a pleasant experience.

I think the stock picture the paper has used is a little provocative, considering that the gun he used was apparently SGC restricted, with the stock photo used showing an extended magazine, tactical additions such as a heat shield and pistol grip. That combined with the header 'Dangerous' leaves a lasting impression in the readers mind.

Also the commenter 'PhilUpNorth' is speaking like he is a shooter, yet come across as someone who has shot very little or is making a lot up. I know of only a few clay shooters with bars, where as he claims many have them. He also claims many shoots ban pump action and semi autos, I have yet to find a shoot that has banned either.

The gun pictured is I believe a Mossberg 590, and is illegal in the UK on barrel length alone.

I have to say that I think there may be more going on here that is evident in the reports.

The guy was, apparently, three times over the drink-drive limit, or thereabouts. It takes a lot to be be that much over the limit. He would have been tested several hours after the inclident (being charitable, a couple of hours) and the incident it self was claimed to have teken place several hours after he had last had a drink.

Given this he must have been absoutely stinking of drink when the incident took place. And, no one noticed, really?

J.

Ok so how did a PUMP ACTION gun accidentally discharge 3 times? Did he re charge the gun after shooting someone to see if it failed and shot someone again?

Edit:

Ignore that I completely miss read that news piece.

But yeah as above the drink level in the blood does not sound even close for the time he would have been tested following the incident.

Edited by -oXo-

Got to say I don't put a lot of weight on the "drink drive limit" and none driving....... Under the drink drive limit you are "safe to operate a motor vehicle which you are qualified to drive on the public highway, over that you are incapable of any function? I have never been breathalised while drunk so have no idea how drunk 3 times over the drink drive limit is, is it falling down territory ? Is it being a bit louder than usual? Is 3 times over the "limit" 3 times as drunk as being on the limit? Is it a linear relationship? It might be scientific to measure blood alcohol but is it reasonable?

Sorry I digressed, the man is a muppet and other people have suffered for his lack of awareness.

The but about the shoot changing the stand is odd too how do you ever have to turn around to reload ???

I'm guessing that the bins they refer to are for spent cartridges, and that they are now putting them at the front of the stand where they should be, so that people don't turn around before they break a normal break action gun to aim them into the bin.

Since when have newspapers, the police or the courts got small details like this right? I think we know what they mean.

Got to say I don't put a lot of weight on the "drink drive limit" and none driving....... Under the drink drive limit you are "safe to operate a motor vehicle which you are qualified to drive on the public highway, over that you are incapable of any function? I have never been breathalised while drunk so have no idea how drunk 3 times over the drink drive limit is, is it falling down territory ? Is it being a bit louder than usual? Is 3 times over the "limit" 3 times as drunk as being on the limit? Is it a linear relationship? It might be scientific to measure blood alcohol but is it reasonable?

Sorry I digressed, the man is a muppet and other people have suffered for his lack of awareness.

The but about the shoot changing the stand is odd too how do you ever have to turn around to reload ???

Certainly three times over the limit your judgement should be (and obviously was!) quite severely impaired, BUT- if you are a regular heavy drinker, you may have a higher tolerance for the motor effects, so it may not be as obvious to others around you. More importantly, considering that he said he was hung over from the night before and apparently not drunk that day, how drunk had he been the night before? Either way, the muppet should have any licences removed and from the sound of, he may need treatment for dependancy.. I am just pleased there was no more serious injury.

I once took someone along to a clay shoot who started to give me the "don't keep going on about it" when I was reminding him about safety. My response was to tell him that he would keep hearing it or we would be leaving. It was not that he was actually dangerous to others, just a bit awkward when re-loading and I had to mention about not turning the gun so it was pointing anywhere but down range and not at his own feet in one case.

The most careless shots that I have seen are not novices who are being supervised, but those who appear to have many years' behind them who are either absent-minded or have simply become too casual about it.

Nick