Another idiot with a gun!

Bloke

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well lets see Gordon,

I had a bad stutter from a very early age, they reckon I got it because the Nuns in the Convent Catholic school I was taught in made me write right handed, and I was dyslexic on the plus side I can use both hands equally and stuttering has always been a real problem and has held me back, but it makes you try harder, a disability ain’t always a bad thing. Although a promising artist ( stuttering can make you go into a shell). Kids in those days were really cruel. Teachers used to think that making you stand up in class reading and bumbling your way through was doing you good.

I had decided to go to sea and work in the fishing industry at 15 and went to Herring Fishery Score college at Lowestoft and done me time on a trawler, on a boat, stuttering don’t matter, its about grafting, I was the best, nobody was faster than me repairing nets, it came natural, many old guys never get it. Being left handed also meant I could gut Plaice faster than a right handed hand, the gut is on the wrong side for right handed hands. I worked at Lowestoft , Grimsby and Southend, I also did a few trips from Hull. I had been shooting from before you needed licences . At Southend my skipper was the coxswain , and I went into the RNLI as one of the youngest helmsman in the service, because of my stuttering they thought it better because of radio operating, I also crewed the big boat, a Watson Class. ( my picture is on my face book page ).

Fishing is no life to bring up a family so I went back into the Building where my roots were. It was easy being a builder but much harder being a businessman. I still stuttered but success breeds confidence, many times over confidence and it can cause problems especially with other so called professionals like architects and Surveyors….its a pecking order and you have to know your place in the order….I have had failures in life we all have, but it’s the way you handle failure that builds character….Experience has taught me never to fudge issues in this sport, if they need sorting, try to sort it, it doesn’t make you popular in the sport with a section of it, but go with your gut instinct.

I think we all know that Pump Action shotguns have no place on a clayshoot, I believe they are banned by the CPSA and for good reason. We have to rid the cowboy element from this sport, we have to ensure through education that everyone in it knows there responsibilities to ensure that this sport is the safe for everyone taking part. Both Basc and the CPSA are engaged to try to make it so, everyone in this sport should be a member of one of these organisation, it makes sense to have a strong national body to defend and promote our cause.

Dennis

Dennis - You may well have overcome adversity and for that I applaud you.

Your account is fairly lengthy, in forum terms, but has absolutely no relevance to your petition or other views.

As for pump action users being cowboys - you need a coherent explanation. Your rambling logic doesn't quite hack it.

I think we all know that Pump Action shotguns have no place on a clayshoot, I believe they are banned by the CPSA and for good reason.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/books

CPSA Booklet 5 - General Rules and Regulations - Semi automatic and pump-actions are to be carried with the breech open.

Unless the CPSA site is out of date, I am struggling.

Well lets see Gordon,

I had a bad stutter from a very early age, they reckon I got it because the Nuns in the Convent Catholic school I was taught in made me write right handed, and I was dyslexic on the plus side I can use both hands equally and stuttering has always been a real problem and has held me back, but it makes you try harder, a disability ain’t always a bad thing. Although a promising artist ( stuttering can make you go into a shell). Kids in those days were really cruel. Teachers used to think that making you stand up in class reading and bumbling your way through was doing you good.

I had decided to go to sea and work in the fishing industry at 15 and went to Herring Fishery Score college at Lowestoft and done me time on a trawler, on a boat, stuttering don’t matter, its about grafting, I was the best, nobody was faster than me repairing nets, it came natural, many old guys never get it. Being left handed also meant I could gut Plaice faster than a right handed hand, the gut is on the wrong side for right handed hands. I worked at Lowestoft , Grimsby and Southend, I also did a few trips from Hull. I had been shooting from before you needed licences . At Southend my skipper was the coxswain , and I went into the RNLI as one of the youngest helmsman in the service, because of my stuttering they thought it better because of radio operating, I also crewed the big boat, a Watson Class. ( my picture is on my face book page ).

Fishing is no life to bring up a family so I went back into the Building where my roots were. It was easy being a builder but much harder being a businessman. I still stuttered but success breeds confidence, many times over confidence and it can cause problems especially with other so called professionals like architects and Surveyors….its a pecking order and you have to know your place in the order….I have had failures in life we all have, but it’s the way you handle failure that builds character….Experience has taught me never to fudge issues in this sport, if they need sorting, try to sort it, it doesn’t make you popular in the sport with a section of it, but go with your gut instinct.

I think we all know that Pump Action shotguns have no place on a clayshoot, I believe they are banned by the CPSA and for good reason. We have to rid the cowboy element from this sport, we have to ensure through education that everyone in it knows there responsibilities to ensure that this sport is the safe for everyone taking part. Both Basc and the CPSA are engaged to try to make it so, everyone in this sport should be a member of one of these organisation, it makes sense to have a strong national body to defend and promote our cause.

Dennis

You've yet to tell us why pump actions are to be banned. 'I think we all know pump actions have no place on a clayshoot' Why is this? Are they dangerous? No, they are no more dangerous than an over and under. How does owning a pump action make someone a cow boy? I'm making these direct questions so that I might get a direct answer. Why should we ban one type of gun? Why don't you like them? Are you wanting them banned because you disapprove of them? Why do you see yourself as higher and mightier than me, or anyone else on this website? Just because you've been involved in competition shooting doesn't give you the right to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

There are times when shooting a going away clay is missed with the first shot and its impractical to re-load in time to get a second shot off, so they are not of much practical use in clay shooting and were never really manufactured for this role, no serious clayshooter would ever entertain using one, i don't know anyone that uses one on the circuit. I personally have not seen one used in the past 20 years other than Biddy for his display shoots. From a personal point of view i would never even entertain shooting on a squad with someone using one. To me it would demonstrate that he was not as serious clayshooter and someone to steer clear of ......... If you can demontrate there capacity on the clay circuit as a tool to do the job, i am all ears, stuff this garbage about freedom of choice, there is no choice its unsuitable and has to be banned for safety reasons......i don't even like Auto's , most of the close shaves i havve seen in this sport are down to autos, espically overseas shoot.

Dennis

There are times when shooting a going away clay is missed with the first shot and its impractical to re-load in time to get a second shot off, so they are not of much practical use in clay shooting and were never really manufactured for this role, no serious clayshooter would ever entertain using one, i don't know anyone that uses one on the circuit. I personally have not seen one used in the past 20 years other than Biddy for his display shoots. From a personal point of view i would never even entertain shooting on a squad with someone using one. To me it would demonstrate that he was not as serious clayshooter and someone to steer clear of ......... If you can demontrate there capacity on the clay circuit as a tool to do the job, i am all ears, stuff this garbage about freedom of choice, there is no choice its unsuitable and has to be banned for safety reasons......i don't even like Auto's , most of the close shaves i havve seen in this sport are down to autos, espically overseas shoot.

Dennis

So let me analyse what you just said.

Because they are slightly harder to use in clay shooting you believe they should be banned from clay shoots?

Because you believe that no serious clay shooter would use on, they should be banned from clay shoots?

Because you would not shoot with someone who was using one, they should be banned from clay shoots?

Anyone using one should be steered cleared of because... Well, I dont actually know why, I suppose its just because you dont like them and a combination of the above.

Freedom of choice is garbage, we should all do as you say?

There is no choice. You cannot take that back, its there in black and white. You just told everyone here they have no choice in what they shoot.

It has to be banned for safety reasons? I asked why they are unsafe, you have no answered. In my experience, they are not unsafe.

You dont like auto's. Like is they key word. You dont like them so they should be banned. I dont like cabbage, should that be banned?

Well, all I can get from that is we should all do as you say, we have no choice in the matter, and certian guns should be banned because you dont like them.

Do you actually have anything constructive to say about this sport at all?

As many have found - Dennis is incapable of answering any question, which might open him to ridicule.

Dennis might have served on a lifeboat, be a good shot and overcome adversity, but intelligent is not something I would level at him.

He appears very limited, self-opinionated and without the intellect to put together a reasoned argument.

It's been mildly entertaining reading and replying to the posts made by denniswebb, but there is a point at which it stops being fun.

It's the same never ending drivel, he doesn't listen to anything anyone else says unless it is exactly the same as what he says (and that doesn't seem to happen often...), and not only does he fail to listen to others, he can't manage any form of argument or debate.

For him it seems to be a case of keep shouting your opinion as loud as you can and keep your fingers in your ears to drown out anyone who disagrees with you.

It's becoming a bit tedious now.

Against my better judgement,I quite like you Dennis,but you're talking absolute drivel regarding one firearm mechanism being anymore dangerous when compared to another.On a worldwide basis I would guess that pumps(possibly)and autos (certainly) are amongst the most commonly used firearm mechanisms used on a daily basis,certainly in N.America and over much of Europe.Carnage isn't exactly rife is it,as you would like to have us believe?My nephew used to shoot bolting bunnies(real ones)with a Remi' 870,and I used a Model 12 before I got the 'auto.Not as successfully as my nephew I might add,but perfectly 'do-able'.

I have no doubt you have had some quite serious physical drawbacks during your formative years Dennis(my Father was also forced to write with his 'wrong' hand at school),and perhaps this has nurtured in you an undersandably aggressive or blunt attitude when dealing with others,but the more I read of your posts the more I'm inclined to believe that you could be your own worst enemy,and all of your problems, perceived or otherwise, since, are of your own making.

Edited by Scully

Dennis, could you please explain your hatred of pump actions?

I'd like to point out, if this drunk guy had any other gun which had a fault, he could have blasted those 3 people with two shots instead! Due to being a pump it's pretty much impossible to accidentally fire a second shot.

Therefore, pump actions are safer than any other shotgun and i'm off to start a petition to ban baby killing o/u's & sxs.

Edited by Bry-M

I have been in this sport as a competitive clayshooter for nearly 40 years, Sporting has always had a certain attraction, in that its always been a non conformist discipline, it doesn't follow the strict codes that some of the other disciplines in this sport do, as such there has always been problems with controling it by the shooting bodies that govern the sport....If they could in someway seperate this element they would , but its the core of the whole sport, so all they can do at best is offer guidlines in it and hope everyone has a good idea of there responsibilities. Is that good enough for the future of this sport, will it stop the antis holding up this event and others as examples of a poorly managed and disorganised activities that need to be brought under a more controllable body such as police managed and licence restrictions....

I have seen many incidents in my years and some by experienced shooters that i would never air on these websites that would merit support to this view.......Whatever your views on this there are moves affoot by our national bodies and the establishment to try to find a better way. For some it may not be what you want to hear , but it will give our sport a far better platform to operate......The cowboy element will always be with us and something we have to try to eradicate, one way is that ever shooter is a member of one of the national organisations.

Dennis

I have been in this sport as a competitive clayshooter for nearly 40 years

Ever wondered if 'dinosaur' comes to mind ... stuck in the old ways ... not willing to look at progress ... grumpy old man ?

It really seems that way. You don't answer any question that anyone puts to you, just keep on shouting the same thing, over and over. Your way or the highway

will it stop the antis holding up this event and others as examples of a poorly managed and disorganised activities that need to be brought under a more controllable body such as police managed and licence restrictions

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will satisfy the antis apart from the total banning of any and all firearms. By trying to appease them by giving ground in any way, shape or form, you are surrendering. Antis do not know what compromise is.

I have seen many incidents in my years and some by experienced shooters that i would never air on these websites that would merit support to this view.......Whatever your views on this there are moves affoot by our national bodies and the establishment to try to find a better way. For some it may not be what you want to hear , but it will give our sport a far better platform to operate......The cowboy element will always be with us and something we have to try to eradicate, one way is that ever shooter is a member of one of the national organisations.

Dennis

Come on then, name and shame these cowboys, these dangerous experienced shooters.

If you don't then YOU are responsible for clay shooting, or any other type of shooting, being held up to a bad light

It's time to put up or shut up

I have been in this sport as a competitive clayshooter for nearly 40 years, Sporting has always had a certain attraction, in that its always been a non conformist discipline, it doesn't follow the strict codes that some of the other disciplines in this sport do, as such there has always been problems with controling it by the shooting bodies that govern the sport....If they could in someway seperate this element they would , but its the core of the whole sport, so all they can do at best is offer guidlines in it and hope everyone has a good idea of there responsibilities. Is that good enough for the future of this sport, will it stop the antis holding up this event and others as examples of a poorly managed and disorganised activities that need to be brought under a more controllable body such as police managed and licence restrictions....

Dennis

This is completely non-constructive drivel that fails to address any of the points put to you. Do you even read anyone else's replies?

If someone does, they might want to hit him over the back of the head with it

Please note, that's a comment, not a request. Honest

:friends: Sorry Dennis but the lads are right you are answering no one and looking a tad stuck in your ways and a little silly mate :no:

Some of the chaps at my local clay shoot shoot Autos and every so often, a pump ( more to give it an outing). Are they more dangerous than o/o or s/s. In my experience, no.

The only guy I have had to remonstrate with was holding a s/s with the wrong end pointing at me. The gun was broken but you could not tell from the angle i was standing. i had to ask twice.

Personally i really do not care what folks shoot with as long as they are safe. Yours is a very wild generalisation Dennis.