Spas 12

^mimic^

thats one heck of a gun i have shot it with our police force here [malta] .i tell you she's a wild brute. i do not think you can get that off a gun shop that is a police/army issue and is not for civilian use that can fire lots off different cartridges like tear gas -messages - explosive cartriges -rubber bullets etc . legally i think you will be in trouble mate i hope you do not want the armed police behind you ........

thats one heck of a gun i have shot it with our police force here [malta] .i tell you she's a wild brute. i do not think you can get that off a gun shop that is a police/army issue and is not for civilian use that can fire lots off different cartridges like tear gas -messages - explosive cartriges -rubber bullets etc . legally i think you will be in trouble mate i hope you do not want the armed police behind you ........

Nope, they are legal alright..

We had one in the gunshop a while ago, bought from France, and VERY expensive. The action was Semi auto, or standard pump per shot. The sights are for tactical use, being that it is also used for slugs, or special loads. In the end, most shotguns can fire any 'special load', but a double barrel 30" barrel would be of little tactical value, and likewise, the Spas is of very little use for shooting pigeons or similar because they are both different tools.

If you want one they come in either FAC capacity, or standard two + one in the breech format. Good to impress, sounds nice, but pretty useless unless you are doing Practical Shotgun, or you are in the Police firearms department.

Not a sporting weapon. Personaly, I don't see the attraction.

webber

Spas stands for Sporting Purpose Automatic Shotgun :good:

Regardless of what it stands for, \i still don't see it as a sporting weapon.

We have enough problems with the public percieving anyone with a gun as a trainee terrorist. I dont believe that we should make the situation worse. Imagine the thoughts of an armed response offices when confronted by a SPAS.

webber

I think it stand for Special purpose automatic shotgun. I sometimes shoot with a bunch of guys and one of them has one.

He use to do practical shotgun and had it converted to 3 shot. He shoots skeet well with it. Proving the point that if you are happy with a gun you will shoot well

I stand corrected, after a google search you are right, it is sporting not special

Has to be worth it just for the Jurassic Park impressions!!! (Although I am pretty sure the folding stock version is illegal as it makes it overall too short)

Seriously though, the proportion of the public that dont like shooting couldn't care less what type of guns we have, we are all 'murderers, snipers, gun nuts, etc...' regardless of whether our guns are pink and fluffy or black and mean.

Until they ban all guns we may as well have fun, and for me that means any gun I can justify (to myself, or the police, or the wife) and enjoy shooting! If that gun is black and looks like its dangerous then so be it :lol:

When I find a Practical Shotgun club in Sussex, I will be getting myself a SPAS :good:

>It's strange - it's probably not a rifled barrel if it has a full length ventilated rib, yet he's using a scope. And a drum mag, vertical fore-end grip and a skeleton stock? Bit odd

I would say definately not rifled as that would be section 5.

Rifled slugs are fairly accurate through a smooth bore barrel out to about 80-100 metres though :good:

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted one just to go to a really posh clay club and wind the snotty *****rs up, mind you I have been known to be a right wind up merchant, my view on life is its not about need its about want and if you want one get one

I always wanted one just to go to a really posh clay club and wind the snotty *****rs up, mind you I have been known to be a right wind up merchant, my view on life is its not about need its about want and if you want one get one

Ps I forgot, if you want one on your sgc you will have to have an addition to the barrel to make it 24 inches

if you want a impressive tacticall shotgun get a remmington 870 marine magnum, modified for the uk market, longer barrel and 2+1 capacitvy its just like the normal 870 but prettier, nikel plated to stand up to the harshest wether and black synthetic stock and pump, i own one so it cant be bad lol, the spas is a gun that my dad (armed response police)said is only realy good for clearing a room of everything that moves, they used and still do use remingtons but only for door breach, as they are only equpit with 9mm glock 17's and mp5 9mm and sig comados (.223), atleast down these parts they are, i reckon ud have to be mad to want such a cumbersom weapon, it has no practical use except killing, but i guess were all aloud alittle fun, only thing it has in its defence is if someone breaks into ur house, looks mean, ill stick with a remington a name you can trust

Referring to Martin Cavie's earlier email, The Guy he mentions is my wifes uncle and not only does he have one but also one of his brothers as well. They bought them for practical shotgun courses run at Shotley, Suffolk, some 10-15 year ago. One of them actually made it onto the cover of the daily mail (or some such rubbish), when looking quite tanned and having tight curly hair, the Newspaper's title was "Terrorists train in Britain".

Both have used their Spaz 12g for skeet, DTL, Sporting, practical shotgun courses as well as pigeon shooting, rabbiting and even on their fields for Pheasants, Duck and Geese. Admittedly an unusual gun, especially with that folding Stock Attachment, but I have seen them use it as both S/A and Pump to good effect.

I know that they have both had solid slug and tracer through it as well as 28 grm No 9's. The only problem they have ever had with them is that some 28 grm loads don't cycle well and occasionally Jam. But both of the guys in question know how to carryout a full field strip and repair.

The best thing is turning up to an open clay shoot, and watching and hearing people's faces and comments as they draw them out of the gun slips on the first stand. Comments like "You won't hit anything with that" and Arnie's "asta la vista baby" or "I'll be back" are soon stopped when they straight the stand.

My father-in-law, their brother, shoots a Mossberg Pump (Adjustable Choke) and again, regularly gets told he'll never hit anything with that, but at the end of the day if your comfortable with your gun and it's safe, WHO CARES, they all go bang and spray lead. Oh and by the way he hits plenty, Clay and animal.

The last one I saw for sale was advertised in Sporting Gun and was £450.00 ono. Don't see them very often!! :)