New arrival

MAJ

Just taken delivery of my new family member, a nine week old Jack Russell called Dennis. He's as sharp as a needle, and game as anything (he can do three circuits of the sitting room hanging on the lurchers tail). He still has a full tail, which I like. I think J.R's look better balanced with a complete rudder. He also has however, dew claws. In the past I have always had these taken off my dogs after seeing a greyhound tear one badly whilst galloping on corn stubble. To have them removed now of course will require quite major surgery, so I'm wondering whether or not it's necessary.

Any views, professional or personal (or indeed political) will be welcome as I myself have no strong opinion, I just want what's best for my boy.

Incidently, he will be used primarily as a rough shooting companion, flushing brambles, a bit of ratting etc, but will not be entered underground.

MAJ, congratulations on the arrival of Dennis :lol: . No doubt soon to be Dennis the Menace. :lol:

All the working gundogs I have ever owned, had their dew claws removed before I got them.

I have only ever seen one instance (in 40 years shooting), of a labradors dew claw torn, while trying to hunt through very thick cover.

It bled gallons, but seemed to upset the owner more than the dog.

No doubt the experienced dog handlers/owners can comment with more authority, but I,m not sure that tail docking and dew claw removal, hasn,t more to do with tradition, than protection of the dog.

I look forward to hearing more about Dennis, a picture would be nice. :lol:

Congrats on Dennis Maj . I hope he brings you many happy hours of ratting etc . My Lurcher still had his dew claws on . They are quite tight into his leg though . My Lurchers mum had heres off and his dad's dew claws were still on. Personally i'd wait to see how they develop , if they turn into them great big floppy ones , have em off.

all the best yis yp :lol:

Congrats on the new pup mate,my latest dog is a spaniel of 15 weeks,she still has her tail and claws,these will all be removed soon after her last jag at 16 weeks.The breeder couldnt get his local vet to do it at 3 days.There is no way on earth i will own another dog that has dew claws,my lab was forever breaking them and cutting them to the extent that the vet said this is the most active lab I have ever seen she is still so fit at her age she looks like a pup,and that was when she was ten.I dont care what it costs it has to be done for the sake of the dog,I would say you should do your own dogs claws aswell and even shorten its tail a bit,there is a terrier that has only half its tail docked so you can pull it back out of fox holes etc but as usuall i canny mind the name of it.

clanchief :lol:

Congradulations Maj. Puppys are such great Hell I mean fun. Personally I have always removed dew claws on any pups bred at my kennels. Now having said that when I buy an older dog with dew claws I do not rush out to have them removed, I have had this likened to haveing your thumb surgically removed nerve endings and cartiledge. If I have that dog in for any major surgery neuter or spay where they are going to be knocked out anyway I will have them taken off then. In the few years,(easy Ern), okay more than a few(26 or 28) that I have been running dogs and training, I have only had one Bitch, Jill, ever tear a dew claw. It was ripped almost all of the way off so I snipped it off the rest of the way, packed it full of wound powder,tapped it and was back hunting 15 minutes later. She went through the rest of her 13 years with only one removed. Incidentally it was in raspberry canes. Had a male Walker Hound, Rock, that cut a toe most of the way off while running still dont know what he ran into, had to have it surgically removed . Guess it is just luck of the draw Maj, but I would not rush out and have them done now until there is a problem. As for the tail leave it natural if he isn't going to ground nothing should be grabbing it and biting it off unless those killer attack bunnies really do exsist over there! :lol:Enjoy him Maj Puppys were put on the earth so older men could feel like boys again.