plans for diy clay trap

Mr Rizzini

Im looking to make my own clay trap so my father and I can practise the same birds over and over again as the hand thrower seems to put them all over the place.

Any one got ny plans or ideas etc, I have a welder etc so any design for a small unit is welcome as we need to be able to transport it to or rough clay ground.

I was hoping to make one for free as the funds aren't up to much this time of the year.

Where abouts are you Mr Rizzini, you haven't put your location in your profile (a hanging offense in my book) doesn't need to be your address & postcode, a town or even county will do.

The reason I ask is that I've got a very basic manual clay trap that I wouldn't want too much for. Collect it from Warrington area and it's yours for £25 which I'll donate to the 2013 Pigeon Watch charity pot.

Mr Potter

I built a trap from scratch for my Design & Technology GCSE 10 years or so ago and it worked / still works reasonably well but for the amount of work involved you'd be just as well just buying one IMO. I started mine with a Stuart High Speed spring which TBH is a bit to powerful as its a pain to cock but it will chuck them a very long way. The main trap body I cut from a piece of scrap RSJ and formed a bearing by boring out a 20mm or so bolt to take a M10 bolt used as the pivot. I used the schools sheet metal benders to form the arm from some 3/4mm aluminium sheet cutoffs but length was restricted a bit which adds to the cocking difficulty and ideally could have been a little thicker as you can feel it flexing a little as you cock the arm. The stand was the easiest part being simple box section.

I've spent the last 10mins scouring my PC for photos I took of it after being used last summer but have, so far, failed. I'll try and get around to taking a few more sometime this week that may give you some ideas....

Where abouts are you Mr Rizzini, you haven't put your location in your profile (a hanging offense in my book) doesn't need to be your address & postcode, a town or even county will do.

The reason I ask is that I've got a very basic manual clay trap that I wouldn't want too much for. Collect it from Warrington area and it's yours for £25 which I'll donate to the 2013 Pigeon Watch charity pot.

Mr Potter

thanks for the offer mate but my legs wil be to sore from walking from n Ireland to collect lol Cheers again, I'll go sort out my location