BUGS 'N' THINGS

Highlander

Anyone know anything about flat flies, hippoboscids? Those horrible little grey looking monsters that you mostly see on black game (rooks crows etc) that don’t seem to fly so much as hop. They are a blood sucking louse fly that lives almost exclusively on birds so does anyone know (scientific answers please not conjecture) if they can carry diseases like ticks do? I believe they are becoming a problem in the USA with the West Nile Fever virus.

And you thought we had a problem with bird flu???

BG don't get into a panic. As far as I can find out (so far) there are very few instances of them biting humans and then most likely they were just 'testing the water'. I've had the same problem, horrible little boogers jumping onto me and crawling over me and real ******** to get off they kinda cling unlike ordinary flies. Never seen them on pigeons but lots on crows and rooks especially if left for a while to cool down i.e. as decoys then when you go to pick 'em up the bugs jump up your arms, into your face and hair. I'm not squeemish but I hate them.

Anyone know anything about flat flies, hippoboscids? Those horrible little grey looking monsters that you mostly see on black game (rooks crows etc) that don’t seem to fly so much as hop. They are a blood sucking louse fly that lives almost exclusively on birds so does anyone know (scientific answers please not conjecture) if they can carry diseases like ticks do? I believe they are becoming a problem in the USA with the West Nile Fever virus.

And you thought we had a problem with bird flu???

Duno about those things but watch out for those ticks :D (limes disease)

• 2 weeks later...

They take some killing I'll grant you that. The worst place for flatflies in a game larder after a grouse day.

West Nile Virus is likely to be the next big bad thing, I thought it was mozzies that spread it from birds to humans?

There was a case recently of a guy who topped himself after developing severe depression after contracting Lyme's. Not nice at all.

Rob