conservatory or sunroom

stet

I'm after putting a conservatory on my house but want some advice off people who have them. my question is do you use yours all year round or are they too cold in winter. The other option is a sun room with a solid roof one side will be a solid wall so will need an I beam on the other have any of you got one of these and what do you think.

cheers

Go for a sunroom it's a proper extension not a plastic add on and usable all year also adds value to your house.

I think conservitories used for plants that are rare or need heat in winter or hot climate fruit are great, as a room to use too hot in summer and if not heated properly freezing in winter.

That's my view

Figgy

Edited by figgy

my last house had a huge wood and glass conservatory,nice in the spring and late summer but too hot in mid summer and too cold in winter.We had underfloor heating ,but it was too costly to have it on constantly through the winter,so ice and condensation was always a problem.Go for the sunroom ,if I everr had a notion for another thats what I'd do

No room with large expances of glass is ever as thermo efficient as solid roofs and masonry walls. The big mistake is to knock through to a conservatory so it can't be closed off in summer and winter. Victorian plant conservatories were never intended to extend living space. They were greenhouses with a connecting door. Sun rooms with solid roofs and roof lights are far better than conservatories, but even modern glass is not as effecient as masonry.

I have a open planned Conservatory which leads on from my dining room

The reason we went for conservatory instead of Sunroom was because of the views we have at the back of the house

Though we use it all the time. i wouldnt have another one

lucky enough the bottom half is brick so maybe in a few years time we will be able too change it too an sunroom (depending on planning permission)

summer when it hot i just open up the double doors which is lovely and winter it is heated

Its lovey this time of year as we can get over a seven foot tree inside

once its dark it look so lovely with the lights from the tree and all the glass, and its a lovely room to throw a party in (even in the summer when we have garden parties)

But like everyone else has said if i had my choice again i would go for sun room, only because of the cost of heating and am guessing a sunroom would add more value to the house

more then a Conservatory would.

xxxSuzy

Mine was on the house when I bought it. Perhaps I missed it somewhere above but I don't think anyone asked which way the house/conservatory/whatever was going to face.

Mine is a nightmare, even though it has heating, ceiling fan and blinds.

It is an absolute OVEN in the summer, useful only for drying clothes (instantly), it KILLS even tropical plants because it is FAR too hot, in the winter it takes a lot of heating.

£30K mine cost in 1998 (I have the paperwork), frankly a complete waste of time and actually an inconvenience, in my case a conservatory is a sad joke, an extension would have been a MUCH better option!

I have a open planned Conservatory which leads on from my dining room

The reason we went for conservatory instead of Sunroom was because of the views we have at the back of the house

Same here, open plan from dining room and kitchen access but we also went for underfloor heating at the same time so it's totally usable all year round and we wouldn't be without one on the next house. All depends on which way it faces I suppose, ours is if anything cool in the summer, certainly cooler than the main house and warm enough to dine in even in the middle of winter.

Edited by Hamster

Mine was on the house when I bought it. Perhaps I missed it somewhere above but I don't think anyone asked which way the house/conservatory/whatever was going to face.

That is a very good point. If an extension is north facing it will never be a cheerfully bright room, particularly if its in the back garden with trees in front and neighbour's add-ons either side, which is often the case. On the other hand if its south facing a little glass goes a long way. A single story extension with two large rooflights and a pair of french doors with sidelights, which is about the cheapest spec you can get, will feel like an artists studio, especially if its a shallow roof pitch with sloping ceillings and wide splays on the rooflight embrasures.