Just the three tonight!

secretagentmole

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had £600 to burn I wouldn't spend it on a driven day - a new rifle and a day in the Downs for me. You can say it as many times as you like but it isn't your average Jo that can afford to do it. As with certain other sports there is an element of snobbery involved.

I have several friends that shoot pheasants and happily pay through the nose for it but they would never been seen in a field shooting pigeons, or worse rabbits! Some are middle class, but want to be seen as upper class, and some do it because they think that is what you do when Glyndebourne is closed for the summer.

There are plenty of normal working people that treat themselves once a season or even once every two seasons to have an expensive driven day. Some people are so hung up about class and think that a tweed coat is only worn by dukes that they forget that not everyone has just one way of shooting. I, and plenty of others i know, will shoot a pheasant day on a saturday and they are in a hide the next day shooting pigeon

Fine, if you like shooting a pheasant with an air rifle then do it but don't kid yourself that it is more sporting than shotgunning. The argument presented that there is only one pellet in an air rifle and is therefore more sporting is complete ********, and is so far beyond logic it's not even worth arguing.

If you want to be eating pheasant and it's for the pot fair play, but 99% of birds from driven game shoots also enter the food chain, and in the process the industry provides employment for thousands of keepers, massively benefits conservation and the countryside as a whole

I wasn't having a pop at game shooting, I was pointing out that to say its a sport for the masses is quite wrong and that there is an element of snobbery that comes with it.

Personally I don't think I'd shoot a roosting pheasant but to say it isn't sporting can be seen as an example of snobbery. Game birds were bread traditionally for sport, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't shoot one if your main interest isn't sport but food.

Each to their own I say.

I wasn't having a pop at game shooting, I was pointing out that to say its a sport for the masses is quite wrong and that there is an element of snobbery that comes with it.

Personally I don't think I'd shoot a roosting pheasant but to say it isn't sporting can be seen as an example of snobbery.

In the first point so you think half of us on this forum are snobs as an awful lot are involved in one way and another. At grass roots you have people who beat and then get a day at the end of the season free, then you have people who pay £100 for small days and then you have DIY syndicates which aren't especially expensive. So the answer is if you want to there is nothing stopping you being involved in game shooting.

On the second so you think taking a bird thats gone to roost / sleep in the evening sporting well you can't have seen much shooting. I'd far prefer the hen bird on saturday that went over myself and another forum member at about 70 yards up that was memorable

In the first point so you think half of us on this forum are snobs as an awful lot are involved in one way and another. At grass roots you have people who beat and then get a day at the end of the season free, then you have people who pay £100 for small days and then you have DIY syndicates which aren't especially expensive. So the answer is if you want to there is nothing stopping you being involved in game shooting.

On the second so you think taking a bird thats gone to roost / sleep in the evening sporting well you can't have seen much shooting. I'd far prefer the hen bird on saturday that went over myself and another forum member at about 70 yards up that was memorable

You missed the last part of the quote out, I don't think it sporting at all. I was saying (or trying to say) that it wasn't shot for sport but for food, and suggesting that pheasants should only be shot for sport, and become food as a by product, can been seen as a form of snobbery.

I don't think half the members on here are snobs but I was commenting on £600 days and they type of people that I know that pay that sort of money to shoot. They are friends, and lovely people but not everyone can afford that, and there is an eliteist culture that runs through it.

BTW. The only thing that stops me game shooting or taking 'sporting high birds' is that it doesn't float my boat - I don't think it's wrong but it dosen't interest me, neither do AR15s and ghilly suits, but they aren't wrong either.

I don't think half the members on here are snobs but I was commenting on £600 days and they type of people that I know that pay that sort of money to shoot. They are friends, and lovely people but not everyone can afford that, and there is an eliteist culture that runs through it.

that applies to everything in life though its not strictly eliteist its if you have money you can have a better car, nicer holidays and enjoy a different form of shooting. The simple fact is it takes a lot of money to put on a driven day and that has to be reflected in the costs, most shoots at £25 a bird are not making money