Gary01

HI everyone i am based in liverpool and i would really like to get in to the sport i have been to catton hall a few time's and been shooting pigeon's with my brother-in-law in northern ireland can any one help with advise of were to go any local clubs i know i have to apply for a license to own a shotgun. (do you have to go on a course First) or is it a matter of just being confident with the gun.

Thank's

Hiya Gary and welcome to the forum. Find your local force on the internet and download the application form from their firearms section. Read through it carefully and find two countersignatories for the form. You will need to download the forms for them as well. Get your piccies sorted and fill the forms in. Send them off and the FEO (Firearms Enquirery Officer) will phone you to make an appointment. Sounds easy but it will take some time.

When you fill the forms in make sure you put all convictions down, even speeding from long ago. Remember they have records so they will find out. If you can't remember the exact dates put an approximate date down e.g. 1970 approx.

Before your interview make sure you have all the requirements in place:

1. Cabinet. Conforms to correct standard, police approved. Fixed to the wall (preferrably masonary). Out of sight of casual visitor and from outside the building. The FEO will give it a good tug to try to move it so try to find a solid wall and use Rawlbolts. If only stud walls available then fix it to wall studs and floor rafters.

2. External doors. Fix 5 lever locks on all exterior doors. They also like to see hidden mortice bolts as well although not compulsory.

3. Locks on all ground floor windows. You can get good ones from Homebase or B&Q. You don't need to spend the earth.

4. Cartridge storage. Try to get a large metal box and fix it to the floor away from the cabinet. If it hasn't got a lock fix a hasp and staple to it.

5. When you have fixed your cabinet in place, hide the spare set of keys somewhere in the house/flat/bungalow. This must be somewhere that others in the building would be unlikely to look. DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE/PARTNER/GIRLFRIEND where they are as they could then be said to have access to your firearms - big No-No.

Sit back and wait for FEO to call to make an appointment and good luck. Don't panic about it as they are there to help you. You do not have to have land to shoot on before you apply. Brush up your skills at any clay ground.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

or is it a matter of just being confident with the gun.

competent matters a lot more than confident.

I'll throw this out as a suggestion. That's all it is though ...

Go to your local clay ground, register with them. Have a couple of lessons.

Sometimes, on the police visit, they may ask about what you know concerning safe gun handling. (it certainly happened to my wife, when she applied for SGC). Being able to say 'I've joined xyz and had safety and shooting lessons' certainly wouldn't hurt.