pattern plate (How To Plz)

Mr Rizzini

I'm looking to use an old roll of wallpaper as a pattern plate as I dont have access to a club one or anything and steel isn't an option as I'd have to carry it to far.

What tips have you got regarding how to get the best from my patterns and cartridges and shot placement etc

cheers.

what distances etc

Hang the paper over some barbed wire with a safe fallout distance/backstop behind it. Mark the centre with a pen and shoot at it, go through the whole mount/point/shoot process as naturally as you can from 30 paces.

Hopefully you'll see a 60/40 split biased high with no sideways deviation and you won't have to repeat the process.

I wouldn't worry too much, just go and shoot at things.

Hang the paper over some barbed wire with a safe fallout distance/backstop behind it. Mark the centre with a pen and shoot at it, go through the whole mount/point/shoot process as naturally as you can from 30 paces.

Hopefully you'll see a 60/40 split biased high with no sideways deviation and you won't have to repeat the process.

I wouldn't worry too much, just go and shoot at things.

is there anything in finding what choke and cartridge will pattern best etc?

Edited by Mr Rizzini

What are you trying to achieve? Fit or pattern density? Both will need different approaches.

"best" pattern is a very broad thing. There is no one set up that will work for everything. If most of your shooting is at 30 yards or closer then 1/4s will be fine, if its further off then look to tighten up.

Looking into patterns etc in depth will end up having a negative effect on your score/kill ratio.

What are you trying to achieve? Fit or pattern density? Both will need different approaches.

"best" pattern is a very broad thing. There is no one set up that will work for everything. If most of your shooting is at 30 yards or closer then 1/4s will be fine, if its further off then look to tighten up.

Looking into patterns etc in depth will end up having a negative effect on your score/kill ratio.

cheers matey think I'll forget everything and go and shoot

Is it really worth it? I had some tuition this week from a BASC instructor who said, as we mostly know that a shotgun pattern will be about 1 metre wide at 30ish yds depending on choke.(Let's not argue if I didn't quote him correctly maybe its more or less). But as you keep the gun moving when you shoot, and because the shot leaves the barrel relatively slowly, that pattern can increase up to about 5 metres as the shot arcs across the sky, and the idea is that the bird/clay will fly through the pattern and be hit. So the pattern you see on your piece of paper when standing still, will not resemble anything like the pattern from a moving barrel.

I'm relatively new to shotgun shooting (rifles previously) and I was amazed that the shot pattern could be 'stretched' because the gun was moving. I presumed the shot came out in one lump. So I learned something useful, as well as how to mount the gun properly which seems to be one of the most important things to master.

Is it really worth it? I had some tuition this week from a BASC instructor who said, as we mostly know that a shotgun pattern will be about 1 metre wide at 30ish yds depending on choke.(Let's not argue if I didn't quote him correctly maybe its more or less). But as you keep the gun moving when you shoot, and because the shot leaves the barrel relatively slowly, that pattern can increase up to about 5 metres as the shot arcs across the sky, and the idea is that the bird/clay will fly through the pattern and be hit. So the pattern you see on your piece of paper when standing still, will not resemble anything like the pattern from a moving barrel.

I'm relatively new to shotgun shooting (rifles previously) and I was amazed that the shot pattern could be 'stretched' because the gun was moving. I presumed the shot came out in one lump. So I learned something useful, as well as how to mount the gun properly which seems to be one of the most important things to master.

Change instructor- the notion of "spreading" the shot across the sky by swinging the gun is completely untrue and has been proven as such I'm afraid.

I hope it was a cheap lesson :-)

Change instructor- the notion of "spreading" the shot across the sky by swinging the gun is completely untrue and has been proven as such I'm afraid.

I hope it was a cheap lesson :-)

1200fps 2-3ft barrel how fast do you have to swing it......

The shot does leave muzzle as a clump shoot a my thing at point blank range to test that if you don't believe me.......the instructors words may have got you hitting more without being totally accurate....

I think (hope ?) you'll find that the instructor may have been talking about the 'oval cone' that the shot makes, rather than a spread across.

Basically, at 30 yards or so, the shot starts to arrive in small numbers, then ramps up, then reduces again. Some shot will have got perfect propulsion, most will be close together in velocity, and some will be particularly slow (due to shot collisions)

I'm also from more of a rifle background. I've been struggling due to the whole 'perfectly static' when I used to take the shot, now having to adapt to moving and rebalancing.

However, by far the toughest thing for me is that I'm used to aiming a rifle. Pointing a shotgun is very different. Far more so than I'd ever appreciated