Rottweil Load Data?

Guest cookoff013

brass size is not specific.

check if it is identical to a cheddite hull.

it may be either cheddite or rio or noblesport.

it should be a paralell tube type.

cook.

Why can you not just get some loading data, which is easily available and then load a load then use it, surley you will see signs if you have a problem.

Thats what i do, however when you find a case you like stick with it.

It's hard to say this without sounding patronising and I'm the first to admit that I take more calculated risks reloading than most would advocate, but I'll say it anyway. Shotshell reloading is nothing like reloading metallic cartridges. You can't safely develop loads and watch for pressure signs like you could with most pistol/rifle rounds. The difference between a safe load and a wildly over-pressured shotgun load is so fine that the first sign of a "problem" could be your shotgun grenading.

Folks like you and I will continue to take little risks, but we really shouldn't recommend that other people do it. You never know who's reading this stuff! :)

• 3 weeks later...

as long as you don't use parallel tube data in a compression formed case you should be safe why run so scared

Deershooter

Most new reloaders don't know the difference between a parallel or compression case though. They will also back a load off and think that's a safer starting point - which it really isn't. They might also think they can work a load up like their rifle/pistol loads and watch for pressure signs - which doesn't work with shotguns. I was just voicing an opinion. I've been called a lot of things, but scared... not so much.

Edited by sterling

Most new reloaders don't know the difference between a parallel or compression case though. They will also back a load off and think that's a safer starting point - which it really isn't. They might also think they can work a load up like their rifle/pistol loads and watch for pressure signs - which doesn't work with shotguns. I was just voicing an opinion. I've been called a lot of things, but scared... not so much.

Why isn't it

Why isn't it

In metallic reloading, backing off 10% from a load recipe is fairly standard practise and should be safe but shotguns are a different kettle of fish for whatever reason. Now the science is boring but relevant which is why it's just safer to stick to the recipe and not get into the geek side of things.

At the very least, If you back off a shot load you can get improper ignition, insufficient pressure for consistent combustion and a generally **** performing load. On the other end of the scale; in a very light load, it is possible to expose a lot more powder to the initial primer jet. This combined with a light load of a fast burning powder can cause a detonation. The shotgun becomes a grenade basically. This isn't just possible, it actually happens.

I've only been reloading shotshells for about a year so I'm just a novice really but I've reloaded a few thousand .38 specials and just as many USPSA 9mm major loads which don't suffer fools gladly. There are people on here who know sooooooo much more than I do about reloading but hopefully I've clarified why I dont advise deviating too much from shotshell data.