A pleasure to have you both over. A shame you weren't wearing the gopro when you were firefighting.

The hut is now repainted and I have a double skinned flue for your next visit.

the flue is wider but luckily I didn't need to cut a larger hole as it had burned to roughly the right size :lol:

Hopefully see you both again soon.

Will

He was just nether turned it on :lol:

Great to see you post on the thread Will , hats of f to you sir :good:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi will, just wanted to say thanks again mate, had a cracking time and we will definitely be back, for those reading I cannot recommend Scraptofthill farm enough, everybody was so welcoming and helpful and the shooting was very good despite the dire weather, I really would go, its a cracking experience :good: Phil i'm glad to see my Jackdaws made there appearance on the video :lol: , it sounded like the battle of waterloo in that wood on Sat evening, wished id have stayed with you instead of picking what I thought would be the perfect spot. For the record I did not mince down the path, I jogged :yes:

Cheers Alex,

I believe you.

As can be seen in the video, our rape has been hammered by pigeons to the extent that they know there is nothing there and so won't decoy very well at the moment.

The plants are all still there though and I have put two lots of fertiliser on. with a bit of sun and warmth it will come back and decoying should be much more successful.

The best thing is to talk to me before you arrive, and I will let you know what the situation is.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

I’m just leaving this post to tell you all what a brilliant time my wife and I had at “The Pigeon Hut” this weekend. This was my first time out shooting anything other than clay pigeons, and I could not have been made to feel more welcome.

I arrived on the Friday night and was shown around the hut (where we lit the log burner ready for the night ahead), before being taken out to the wheat field where I was shown how to set up the hide and how to lay out decoys. Then it was off to the Dog and Gun for the open mic night.

A couple of pints later we headed back to the, now very cosy, shepherd’s hut to get ready for an early start the next day. Saturday morning I was up and out ready for the sunrise, and trying to sit still despite my excitement. At half past nine my moment came, and I bagged my first pigeon. It was a fairly quiet day on the pigeon front, but I managed to add a second to the bag in the early afternoon, and there was plenty of other wildlife about to keep me entertained.

That evening we headed around the woods to see if we could catch any pigeons coming in to roost, but as it was still quiet Nelson decided to take me out on the quad to see if we could lamp a few rabbits.

When we finally came back to the shepherds hut, my tally was up to: 1 crow, 2 pigeons, and a brace of rabbits.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that anyone should spend some time at Scraptoft Hill Farm, where you will have great company from Nelson and his family, and the opportunity to shoot on their beautiful farm.

I can wait to come back again some time.

Thanks to you all,

Mike and Gemma.