What weight, length and shot size .410 cartridge

Gizza22196

It always amazes me how people make such fantastic claims about what a .410 can do yet the lean pattern cannot possibly result in reliable kills at range and using smaller shot than is usual for any particular prey to try and hold a pattern together is just compounding the problem. We use larger shot for a reason and those reasons still apply for smaller calibres.

The truth is, apart from the occasional fluke, that a .410 is a 25yard gun and if you need to kill further out get something that can make a proper job of sending more or bigger shot downrange.

Very underestimated gauge the .410. Here's a link to a day Bluebarrels and I had on some laid barley. He was using his 20g and I was using the .410. 3" shells, no.6 shot. When we chatted the next day, having counted out the spent cases, we were within a couple of shells of each other. Just over 2-1 :good:

http://forums.pigeon... +small +gauges

Edited by turbo33

I think a reason for the negativity on 410's, is that people start expecting them to act as a 12gauge, they are great little guns,lightweight for rough shooting, especially wooded areas, I've even used one behind a blind shooting woodies, its when people start trying to push them beyond their limits,

• 6 years later...

I re-load Mag-tech .410 two and a half inch Brass cases with large pistol primers, 13 grains of Hodgdon H110 powder & 20 grams of number 6 lead shot in a Mossberg pump action stealth. perfect load and quiet enough to use round the farm yard without scaring the **** out of the farm hands! (I use home made 12mm x 5mm cork wads to compress the powder)

On 16/10/2019 at 08:35, welshwarrior said:

I wonder if in the last 7 years he got a 410 and a cartridge he liked? 

Have no idea if he did or not but if he went with a half oz of 7 1/2 shot (buffered) and pushed it with SP3 through a full choke he will be on the right track in my opinion.

On 05/12/2012 at 21:12, welshwarrior said:

I find the same 2 1/2 7 work best 2 1/2 9s hold a good pattern and I have read an article on the net say he found them best for all game and clays. 9s just seem to small for me I'd be interested if I could find some 8s to test.

Did you find or try a 8 shot , i open the crimp pour shot out and swap for the shot you want. Re crimp and enjoy.

Edited by figgy