Same as a Browning but cheaper?

fiesta14

Hi

I have just started taking my first steps towards starting clay pigeon shooting and its been great. My certificate arrived last week and have just had my first lesson at my local shooting ground with an instructor who was spot on. The instructor gave me a Browning 525 to use on account of my long neck, shoulders and height etc. Now I don't know a massive amount about guns yet but it appeared to me to fit well and he discounted Berettas and Mirokus as not being suitable for my shape.

My problem is now my budget, my good lady informs me it wont stretch to a 525 so can you guys recommend a suitable alternative with a similar configuration to the Browning (which appears to be high comb and long stock)

325's are a bit nearer my range but do they have the same fit as the 525.

Lots of guys on here rave about the Lanber would this have the same shape.

Your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

Matt

Now I don't know a massive amount about guns yet but it appeared to me to fit well and he discounted Berettas and Mirokus as not being suitable for my shape.

Matt

Considering a lot of Mirokus are Brownings with a different badge (or a lot of Brownings are Mirokus with a different badge), I'd love to know how he reckons a Miroku is not suitable for you.

I'd suspect it is because he can sterr you towards a more profitable gun.

But I am known as a total cynic

You can also get Brownings made by FIAS (Italy) - I have a Browning Medallist which is Italian. Damn good gun too.

as above i have 2 medalist 12g an 20g brilliant they are but made in italy,,all other later brownings except the hand finished ones are made by miroku in japan,i believe,so go get yourself a miroku,i prefer the italian style myself,with shallower action.

Browning 525 is made in Japan by Miroku. A very similar gun to Mk38.

A Browning Citori is a Miroku made for the American market. My understanding (and Im no expert) is that Miroku started to make copies of Browning shotguns. They made them so well, Browning teamed up with them.

If I was you I'd go to a shooting ground where you can try a range of used guns out and take advice from people in the know.

I shoot Miroku, Browning and Winchester - all linked under the Browning company label. I dont get on too well with Berettas though. If you shoot better with Brownings then there are those three brands in the same family to look at - Im not sure why he said a Miroku wouldnt suit.

OP- the cast and drop on a lanber is similar to a beretta. As its been said the Machine made brownings and Miroku's are the same gun with badge engineering (think VW and Audi )

A 325 will be a good bet if you can find one in good condition - the only differences between the 325, 425 and the 525 areprogressive value engineering - (ie browning have looked for ways to make the 325 more cheaply and came up with the 425, then when they did the process again they came up with the 525. Same condition for same condition many people like myself would prefer a 325 to a 525 regardless of the 325 being probably 15 years older !

A good gunshop will check you for gunfit if you ask and say your a newby

It does sound like he is trying to sell the gun rather than sell a gun to you thats in your price range and fit

You may find a big difference in different gun shops, some just sell a gun and others build a lifetime relationship which is built on selling what's best for you and your price range, few guns vary that much these days, so unlikely that only the browning is the make for you

Go to your local club, introduce yourself and ask members about their guns and i guess most will let you try them out

I've shot several Miroku's and Browning's (and Beretta's for that matter) and generally the Miroku's i've tried are shorter in the stock (LOP) off the peg.

I sometimes shoot a B425 G6 with 30ins barrels usually from a hide as it's a heavy old lump and long but it suits me. It's also a darn good clay buster! I prefer it to the B525 (which I have owned) and the slimer framed B725 with a funny shaped forend.

Look around and take your time, I reckon you could pick up a nice 425 or 325 in G1 for the money of a new lanber and there is a good chance the stock and LOP will suit you better than a Miroku.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Edited by Whitebridges

I have a miroku mk seventy,they are really fine guns for the money,but beware they are a bit low in the comb i have fitted a comb raiser for now,will be getting a adjustable comb fitted when the moneys available.

Or gemini52 you could trade your M70 in for a Browning with a higher comb? You're right the MK70 and MK60's for that matter are mighty fine well built guns.

I have a miroku mk seventy,they are really fine guns for the money,but beware they are a bit low in the comb i have fitted a comb raiser for now,will be getting a adjustable comb fitted when the moneys available.

Or gemini52 you could trade your M70 in for a Browning with a higher comb? You're right the MK70 and MK60's for that matter are mighty fine well built guns.

Or try a trap gun......

If you go to the Browning website the stock dimensions like drop at heel etc will be on there - I think you'll find that the Mirooks have more drop (lower on the stock) hence what you instructor said might be right for you. Hopefully Gordon R will answer as he is pretty knowledgable on the complexities. I have a GP sportier and an XTR and they are set up completely differently despite them both being Brownings. Good luck with the search for a gun and take your time with your choice as impulse buying is a common problem of all us shooters :-)

Long neck tall and thin sounds like a miroku shooter to me.... The MK38,MK60 and MK70 have different fits and all can be adjusted to be more similar to the 525. What is you budget? There are plenty of guns from £50 to £5,000 available don't buy before you try and no need to rush many a salesman will tell you the gun fits whenever you pick up a profitable one......

Edited by HDAV

I have been reading this with interest any gun can be step up or adjusted to fit by a good smith or stocker, this will cost you tho.

Finding a gun that fits on an RFDs shelf will normally work out cheaper, the problem for a newbie is knowing if it fits. The gunshop will offer advice but remember 2 thing 1 they are in business to sell you a gun, some just want the money. 2 the bloke with you may never have see you shoot.

Gun fit is all about gun mount it must be consistent secondly your style of shooting will affect what fits you.

I would take someone who understands gun fit with you to look at the gun you think you like and if possible try and shoot the gun before you buy it, lots of good gun shops will let you do this.

If your local to me I'd be happy to help if I can.

WW

Edited by welshwarrior

Again, thanks for your help everyone, you have been very generous with your time, advice and offers of help.

I am going along to my local shop attached to a shooting ground early next week to try a few different second hand guns out. I am turning to the "buy once, buy well" school of thought and upping my budget to £800 (the kids will have to settle for a satsuma and a lump of coal this Christmas).

I am taking a friend of a friend who has been shooting for years and will concentrate on the Browning/Miroku/Beretta models and see what suits my shape and style.

I will keep you posted on what happens.

Cheers