Red diesel / VOSA

BRNDL

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be a good idea to buy shot gun cartridges (or bullets) from a non-legal third party because they're cheaper??

This whole thread is another example of people screwing the system (and themselves/the rest of us) for a short term saving. Why buy white diesel when i can get red much cheaper, why go to work when i can get benefits to stay at home. The people who do this are just as bad as the benefit scroungers that so many have strong opinions on.

To my mind anyone partaking or endorsing this kind of behaviour are as guilty for the state of this country and the ecconomy as all the other wasters and scroungers. It may not be on the same scale as other fraud but that doesn't make it anymore acceptable.

Would it be a good idea to buy shot gun cartridges (or bullets) from a non-legal third party because they're cheaper??

This whole thread is another example of people screwing the system (and themselves/the rest of us) for a short term saving. Why buy white diesel when i can get red much cheaper, why go to work when i can get benefits to stay at home. The people who do this are just as bad as the benefit scroungers that so many have strong opinions on.

To my mind anyone partaking or endorsing this kind of behaviour are as guilty for the state of this country and the ecconomy as all the other wasters and scroungers. It may not be on the same scale as other fraud but that doesn't make it anymore acceptable.

The government are not kicking the **** out the price of cartridges...and its not around 90% tax.

If I could buy them cheaper from some third party I would and so would any one on here

From someone doing it illegally? I'm not talking about a legit company offering a discount,,, Note the non-legal bit in my post - if you still stand by your comment then I don't believe anyone on here would do that, unless they're very silly...

Didn't see that mate sorry no to that no harm ment

They find out the date you bought your vehicle and assume that you have used red diesel all the time you have owned it then work out how many miles it has done and bill you for the missing tax , pay up or they crush your vehicle .

Black sheep is correct this happened to a friend of mine years ago and he had to produce diesel receipts to show it was not always run on red. This was a good 10 years back but I don't think much would have changed.

Apart from the Tax avoidance issue which passes costs on to the law abiding motorists, the big issue raised in this thread is where is the red diesel coming from.

I have only ever seen one pump on a forecourt selling it.

Either someone is selling it on from an otherwise legitimate source, such as a farm or plant operator, which is a bit like having their cake and eating it.

Or it is stolen. I know which is the likliest of the two.

Well in my opinion the fine is not enough of a deterrent they should fine them and then confiscate the motor to be crushed that is the only way to cut down on this crime...

And the ones on here who think i am wrong and if you can get away with it its OK ....All i can say to that is i hope you get nicked why should the people who pay there tax's on fuel be penalised to cover the ones that don't

I have two mates that i know are running red i would never shop them but they know if they get caught not to come to me for any sympathy the don't have a hope in hell of getting any...

Apart from the Tax avoidance issue which passes costs on to the law abiding motorists, the big issue raised in this thread is where is the red diesel coming from.

I have only ever seen one pump on a forecourt selling it.

Either someone is selling it on from an otherwise legitimate source, such as a farm or plant operator, which is a bit like having their cake and eating it.

Or it is stolen. I know which is the likliest of the two.

You can buy red from a pump legit, a garage round here sells it. Want your number and all that but what you do with it afterwards is up to you.

Obviously, you cant fill your vehicle but a can is no problem.

Well in my opinion the fine is not enough of a deterrent they should fine them and then confiscate the motor to be crushed that is the only way to cut down on this crime...

And the ones on here who think i am wrong and if you can get away with it its OK ....All i can say to that is i hope you get nicked why should the people who pay there tax's on fuel be penalised to cover the ones that don't

I have two mates that i know are running red i would never shop them but they know if they get caught not to come to me for any sympathy the don't have a hope in hell of getting any...

Hold on, either this a terrible crime or it isn't. If it's so bad you should report your 'mates' - are they really mates if they do something that is so wrong?

Ok so if your working WITHOUT customs present then I assume you ALWAYS seize the vehicle for them to inspect, thus adding charges for collection and storage ect ect, but if you are with them at the time and you pull and dip Joe public then it's an on the spot fine of £500?

Am I correct?

Thanks, you seem to be the fact man in this topic.

Correct.

I buy red from a nearby filling station, I also know a place that sells it for boats. At the filling station you only have to give your name and tell them what it's for.

It can also be bought and delivered, minimum of 500 liters at a time where I am, which isn't much really if you've got somewhere to keep a small tank.

It's stupid to assume that red diesel used on the road is being stolen, it's quite possible to get it, you don't have to be VAT registered or anything like that.

and how many vehicles do they actually check...never been stopped at all

When i was a lorry driver years ago i had my tank dipped atleast 6 times.Most common place they do it round here is on the A1 at Sandy Beds in a layby and much further north at Sawtry Cambs.Back then traffic cops driving Senators would get infront of you then a message on the bumper mounted LED board would simply say "Follow me".

They do give you the thimble full of diesel back!

Never had my tank dipped on the M11,but couple times got the 'Follow me' treatment and taken onto the weighbridge at Harlow.