Red diesel / VOSA

BRNDL

I don't have any references to back the is statement up...so you could look at this as being somewhat hollow, but I wouldn't suggest being caught running red diesel would deem an application or renewal to fail. I appreciate it would be brought up in direct dialect, but a refusal would be unlikely IMO unless someone can state facts to prove otherwise?

I'd have though the law breaking and tax evasion would show you to be a untrustworthy character not worthy of the responsibly of a FAC/SGC

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have caught loads of people on red. The vehicle is seized on behalf of customs and details passed to them to follow up.

If I'm with customs at the time it's a £250 fine for having it in your tank and £250 for using it. If you can't pay on the spot by card or cash they have the vehicle away. In the midlands or south they get taken to Dover. The recovery and storage charges get added to the fine.

If your a commercial user they will audit your business and any irregularities will result in more fines, confication or the courts.

If you've been caught more than once or they have intel your doing it all the time they can just seize the vehicle and not give you the option of getting it back.

I have caught loads of people on red. The vehicle is seized on behalf of customs and details passed to them to follow up.

If I'm with customs at the time it's a £250 fine for having it in your tank and £250 for using it. If you can't pay on the spot by card or cash they have the vehicle away. In the midlands or south they get taken to Dover. The recovery and storage charges get added to the fine.

If your a commercial user they will audit your business and any irregularities will result in more fines, confication or the courts.

If you've been caught more than once or they have intel your doing it all the time they can just seize the vehicle and not give you the option of getting it back.

And if you`re not commercial?

I have done a bit of research as there has been a dipping campaign locally.

£500 on the spot fine. Vehicle siezed if unable to pay, removal and storage fees payable. Order to flush and replace fuel lines and tank etc. can be issued.

2nd offence, increased penalty, risk of forfeiture of vehicle.

If there is a dishonesty element (2 tanks, deliberate attempt to evade taxes etc.) then back duty can be added and it becomes a criminal matter, penalties of fines and up to 7 years in prison.

Good enough for them.

And if you`re not commercial?

You will have an interview at the roadside and depending on what you say and what they think it may well just be a fine.

If you get caught again they will probably take it further. They do target offenders who have been caught in the past so its quite possible to get done again.

They deal with quite a lot of these so unless your a Micky taker or a business they don't really have the time to audit everyone.

A friend of mine has a red diesel tank in the boot of his discovery, boxed in and covered in carpet. The main tank has White diesel in and the vehicle runs off the red...

He has been dipped once...all is well.

I have been offered some red diesel as and when I want it...I will be honest, I am considering it. I drive an Audi A6 so can't really see me being pulled for a dip, at least that's my theory on it.

I wouldnt put cherry in an Audi A6, it defo wont like it. A farmer I know got his missus going when she ran out of fuel down on his long lane down to the farm by putting a gallon in and by the time they had wound it over a few times and the fuel got through all the engine management lights were up like a christmas tree- it was a trip to the main dealer and 1500-00 bill.

You cannot put cherry in new engined motors, most from around 2004 onwards, especially any of the german marques, they dont like it!!

Edited by starlight32

Cherry will soon be a thing of the past, they know it is too hard to box off completely. The proposals are to make all diesel white and then those that qualify claim it back quarterly.

Plus side to the goverment- You have used it and then it is up to the establishment to pay you back, once you have proved you have used it!

Down side to user- Thousands of pounds laid out and a chance Mr Taxman wont give you it back if he thinks you aint used that amount!!. Big hit to plant people as well like crane companies and general operators of plant!

Edited by starlight32

I can remember 40 years ago my mate was caught at the Great Yorkshire show...He had built a tank under the seats of his land rover that held quite a few gallon anyway while he was walking round the show ground they took one of his fuel lines of to test and it was red...

They were waiting for him and when he got back they gave his land rover a right going over and found the second tank ( the real tank was full of white ) they confiscated his keys so he could not remove the motor he ended up getting a lift home and i went with him and a couple of other mates the next day to help him.

They would only let him remove the motor after the new tank had been taken out and they inspected again .....I know he was fined but i do.not know how much he had to leave the spare tank at the show but as soon as he got home he put another one in and as far as i know he was never checked again ..

Mind you he only used it for work he used to run a mobile generator in the back that was his business did a lot of welding for the farmers.. Not long after he bought a new ford Capri, they had just come out he reckoned it was what he had saved over the years on red...

Ok so if your working WITHOUT customs present then I assume you ALWAYS seize the vehicle for them to inspect, thus adding charges for collection and storage ect ect, but if you are with them at the time and you pull and dip Joe public then it's an on the spot fine of £500?

Am I correct?

Thanks, you seem to be the fact man in this topic.

Well they pulled 120 cars and cought one on red in doncaster other day not worth pulling 120 cars imo. ammount it cost for em to do it they havent made anything on the one they cought. I dont run red but when iv been out of work iv thought about doing it but if i did id end up being the on that got cought

Can anyone clarify that my car wouldnt run efficiently on red diesel? Is red not as "clean" as white ect? I understand that your vehicle smokes more when accelerating which can be a give away sign.

Any police officers/Traffic officers on here that anyone knows of?

http://www.benburgess.co.uk/links/diesel

this has a fair few facts basically the agr stuff had higher levels of sulphur in and no bio, as this started to change in line with road diesel a few things happened. On farm storage tends to be older tanks so any water emulsifies the bio and it goes lumpy blocking filters and some tractor engines were having trouble with the newer spec.

From the looks of this forum seems they should start dipping more vehicles if so many people are using it.

Guest cookoff013

if you have to drive around with £500 all the time, doesnt it make more sense to just get registered and make diesel?

for that kinda money, its not worth getting caught with red.

Can anyone clarify that my car wouldnt run efficiently on red diesel? Is red not as "clean" as white ect? I understand that your vehicle smokes more when accelerating which can be a give away sign.

Any police officers/Traffic officers on here that anyone knows of?

red derv is just a lower grade with a red stain dye in it to make it easy to find in peoples tank and is also missing the cleaning agents that are in white most newer car have electronic fuel pump sensors and it drives them mad my mates vectra had a bosh fuel pump cost him nearly 1500 quid when it went bang less than 3 months on red garage said 100 per fuel related .

The 2 time iv bin stopped with my mate once he got his mam to fetch cash ie 500 quid second time he had cash on him going on holiday got stopped at Sheffield services on way to London both times he got asked "how long you bin using it " his reply first tank this week no checks no heavy handed tactics there job is just to get cash back of you the police that were with them to stop you as c and e have no powers of stop .

He still runs on it and it not bothered 1 bit if the fine was 1000 plus he saves that 10 times over we all no its not right and people with fac and shot gun tickets have to whiter than white so i wont be testing the horrible stuff if your willing to take your chances with them crack on

happy driving about looking over your shoulder...................... swiss

If you get stopped by the police alone then your car will be seized from the roadside for inspection by Customs and Excise, the recovery agent fees are at least £150 + £20 per day storage if you don't collect it after inspection. All of our cars carry diesel dipping kits which get used on a regular basis.

I can see why people risk it but it doesn't make it right.

When I was working a few days in Northern Ireland in the 80s , a petrol powered car was a rarity, but plenty smoky diesel. So had an additive or process been discovered to disguise the presence of red diesel , or with plenty other problems on their hands was the use of red fuel on roads not prosecuted?

Blackpowder

Well they pulled 120 cars and cought one on red in doncaster other day not worth pulling 120 cars imo. ammount it cost for em to do it they havent made anything on the one they cought. I dont run red but when iv been out of work iv thought about doing it but if i did id end up being the on that got cought

Were was that mate only place I've seen was the road to sunny scunny,

got to say I agree with Swiss if you take ya chance and get away with it good on you