My spaniels Journey

Mr Rizzini

I thought I would start this thread so I can keep track of my dogs progress and growing etc and hopefully as her life unfolds other people can get advice from the questions that I will be asking. I would like to thank ferguson_tom, Paul T and ETO for there help so far.

Here is her first photo's at 8 weeks.

PICT0141.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

PICT0146.jpg

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm I'd want to call her something unique to go with that leg - which I did not see!

Is she your first Spaniel?

I think I'd call her Diz. Short for Dizzy - as thats what Spaniels are :lol:

Is she KC reg? I'd use something from her KC name if she is. My friend has a Cocker who's KC name has Grouse in it. I told her she should've called her Willow - cos of the Willow Grouse, but she ended up calling her Lilly.

You really want a one syllable name. My next dog which I am convinced is going to be a Cocker (Pennie was supposed to be a Chinese Crested :lol: ) Anyway I'm going to call the Cocker "Tick" short for Ticking time bomb :lol:

How about Pip?

Or seeing as she's pretty much a Christmas pup Elf? LOL sorry I just watched that film :D

No she is not KC Reg but has two hard working parents, Elf has been going forever lol. It is the first Spaniel that I have owned myself although my friend has a spaniel which I had a go at training from 13 weeks - 6 months with whistles although he doesn't use him for hunting he liked seeing him hunt etc and having some house manners.

heres a wee vid I made about how I trained him with 2 whistles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rpQ3J4bdZmk

Edited by Mr Rizzini

sounds daft but letting the pup on the sofa can sometimes make a pup dominant it thinks its an equal or better than some of the family and can make it harder to train.I have seen this happen so not so daft after all.a.t.b. looks like a nice stamp of a dog.( STAMP for its name.)

sounds daft but letting the pup on the sofa can sometimes make a pup dominant it thinks its an equal or better than some of the family and can make it harder to train.I have seen this happen so not so daft after all.a.t.b. looks like a nice stamp of a dog.( STAMP for its name.)

Don't talk rubbish! Dogs don't dominate people. All mine are allowed on the sofas and beds and I have no problems.

Don't talk rubbish! Dogs don't dominate people. All mine are allowed on the sofas and beds and I have no problems.

Cheer Aimee, I have heard it before with parrots being perched above eye level etc but I have never encountered a problem myself with rank problems within the household. I have to agree with you here as the owner and their training should decide the dogs rank.

Cheer Aimee, I have heard it before with parrots being perched above eye level etc but I have never encountered a problem myself with rank problems within the household. I have to agree with you here as the owner and their training should decide the dogs rank.

It's not even a question of Rank. My dogs are dogs, I am a human. Dogs don't see us as the same species so why do we pretend we are by bringing in all the outdated alpha theory nonsense. Even the bloke who came up with it revoked his comments as in the wild there isn't alpha wolves - there is just the breeding pair and the non breeding wolves.

I don't see how dogs being allowed on the sofa or beds mean that they won't listen. Yes if your dog has a possessive manner - like one of mine does then you will have issues. But it doesn't mean he thinks he's higher up than me. I just taught him to jump up on command and jump off on command. And now I can get into bed without being bitten or having to force him off. He gets a reward for getting off too - win win situation.

I could go on but I'm not going too cos I'll just ramble :lol:

you never know - maybe they are sly in their dominance - they maybe hump your leg while you sleep! :lol:

Mine don't get on the furniture because I have witnessed them rolling in various substances and eating various things over the years! :sick: in fact - they are rarely in the house now!

Edited by gixer1

And now I can get into bed without being bitten

this surprises me as in all my years of my life my parents or me have had dogs of all types and sizes and I have only once seen a dog that had growled (a little west highland terrier) if any dog bit me, my brother or anyone else in the house then my father would've sorted it out there and then - and this has always been my take on it with dogs too.

I have two labs and only once has one of them bitten a person (nipped) and that was my neighbour - his wife was in the garden speaking to my wife and he came walking up the driveway waving his arms and shouting (jokingly) at his wife - my dog ran towards him and growled and nipped his forearm until he stood still - a quality I have always been proud of her for as in my eyes she saw a threat to my wife and kids and protected her territory...

but i can't understand anyone tolerating thier own dog biting them...does it happen often?

Regards,

Gixer

this surprises me as in all my years of my life my parents or me have had dogs of all types and sizes and I have only once seen a dog that had growled (a little west highland terrier) if any dog bit me, my brother or anyone else in the house then my father would've sorted it out there and then - and this has always been my take on it with dogs too.

I have two labs and only once has one of them bitten a person (nipped) and that was my neighbour - his wife was in the garden speaking to my wife and he came walking up the driveway waving his arms and shouting (jokingly) at his wife - my dog ran towards him and growled and nipped his forearm until he stood still - a quality I have always been proud of her for as in my eyes she saw a threat to my wife and kids and protected her territory...

but i can't understand anyone tolerating thier own dog biting them...does it happen often?

Regards,

Gixer

He's not mine he's the OH's and he's a rescue and due to being taken in by people who have limited knowledge of dogs they've repeatedly ignored his warnings and gave him mixed signals due to believing in the dominance theory. So if he had been mine from the start - regardless of the rescue situation - he would never have bitten me as I wouldn't have given him mixed signals or ignored warnings. It makes him a little unpredictable with strangers but now he understands I get his signals and I don't give him mixed ones we get on completely fine.

He's not mine he's the OH's and he's a rescue and due to being taken in by people who have limited knowledge of dogs they've repeatedly ignored his warnings and gave him mixed signals due to believing in the dominance theory. So if he had been mine from the start - regardless of the rescue situation - he would never have bitten me as I wouldn't have given him mixed signals or ignored warnings. It makes him a little unpredictable with strangers but now he understands I get his signals and I don't give him mixed ones we get on completely fine.

Do you mean you change your lifestyle to suit the dog? I will do this to a certain degree and my dogs are part of the family but they have always been expected to change to suit the human part of the family as opposed to them changing to suit the dog - the only exemption to this is if the dog is not well or has an injury - even then my 2 labs have behaved admirably as I have seen my son and daughter climb on them when they are lying down on the grass and the dog's lick them until they fall off! :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

Do you mean you change your lifestyle to suit the dog? I will do this to a certain degree and my dogs are part of the family but they have always been expected to change to suit the human part of the family as opposed to them changing to suit the dog - the only exemption to this is if the dog is not well or has an injury - even then my 2 labs have behaved admirably as I have seen my son and daughter climb on them when they are lying down on the grass and the dog's lick them until they fall off! :lol:

Regards,

Gixer

Not really as he doesn't actually live with me full time. He has a strong bond with my OH's autistic brother so when my OH is away at camp, his parents have the dog. When he's back we have him.

I've had to do lots of purpose training to work with his issues. For example - he is food/object possessive - so I've worked on this by first teaching him to get on the object he guards then teaching him off. Lots of reward for both. And also he barked a lot and wouldn't shut up regardless of the reason. So I taught him to speak and then taught him to be quiet. With his food guarding - that was easy, he loves going for a walk so if I had to get food off him I would bring a slip lead out and he'd happily trot away from it and I would say "Mine" when he came away. So now I can get to his bowl, say mine take it off him without a problem and he gets a reward for it. And I don't get bitten or warned anymore.

However I will stop now as this isn't my thread. :)