My spaniels Journey

Mr Rizzini

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't talk rubbish! Dogs don't dominate people. All mine are allowed on the sofas and beds and I have no problems.

sorry if you think my advice is rubbish its given in good faith based on genuine observations over many years .MR RIZZINI I as trying to explain why the sofa comment,don't want to take over your thread' just interested in it as I own and work e.s.s. myself. A.T.B.

As the poster of the original comment I will back it up by saying that very cute puppy will one day turn into a bigger dog. That bigger dog will go outside and get filthy dirty, roll in ****, get wet and smelly. The last thing you want it that dog jumping on your sofa or running upstairs and jumping on your bed.

The sofa is for people. The rug in front of the fire is for the dogs.

As the poster of the original comment I will back it up by saying that very cute puppy will one day turn into a bigger dog. That bigger dog will go outside and get filthy dirty, roll in ****, get wet and smelly. The last thing you want it that dog jumping on your sofa or running upstairs and jumping on your bed.

The sofa is for people. The rug in front of the fire is for the dogs.

I have to disagree with you here mate, An animal can only do what you let it or train it, I have trained parrots in the past and the training is nearly the same, the dog can be trained via a clicker, whistle, voice command etc to understand that it shouldn't jump up without an invite as with retreiving (hence why a dog can retrieve freshly shot birds and not birds on cradles or pegged up) etc.

I do believe that a clicker is a bit easier on the ears for getting your dog/animal house trained. A dog that jumps up on people or household goods is a badly trained one.

Now I've heard it all. Good luck and I suggest you buy a good Gundog book or go see a trainer.

Why's that when there is so many people on here that know what they're at? I can bet you that a wild aviary african grey takes a lot more understanding than a dog that has hunting in its blood, A dog is a lot easier trained that a wild bird - FACT. I simply ask questions from people who have experience and to date you have only wrote a useless comment on my thread, If this is the advice you offer (On the sofa....good start!) then I think I'll manage without it. If you have nothing usefull to say perhaps you can leave it to the more experienced and useful members

Why's that when there is so many people on here that know what they're at?

Because you don't seem to take any notice of the good advice that's been posted on your threads so maybe you will pay attention to a good book.

Why don't you start a poll and see how many people who work their gundogs let them on their sofas and beds?

Are your parrots any good at foxing and do they hold a steady point?

Because you don't seem to take any notice of the good advice that's been posted on your threads so maybe you will pay attention to a good book.

Why don't you start a poll and see how many people who work their gundogs let them on their sofas and beds?

Are your parrots any good at foxing and do they hold a steady point?

My parrots are completely useless at foxing but can your dog talk?

I'm not looking a show winning dog and simply require my dog to retrieve pigeons and do the odd bit of hunting in rough ground, If you had of noticed my video then you would have seen that I had a friends pup well on its way to doing what I require. perhaps instead of writing (On the sofa....good start!) you could have recommended a book or something.As my dog will be a family pet first and gundog second she will be staying in the house and if I decide I will let her on my sofa and if she doesn't work as well as I expect then at least its a dog with a great home and will be sure to fill my first choice for her.

I'm actually seriously thinking about a cape amazon parrot, can you imagine how good the craic would be on those boring days in the hide.

Edited by Mr Rizzini

She is lovely mate, the boot is great I have never seen it before. With regards to the sofa - do u what you want its yours dog, this whole dominace stuff from sitting where you do i think is complete rubbish my two have been allowed on the sofa (when we allow them) and never had any problems with it, they are not allowed upstairs at all but have run of downstairs. Its up to different people what they do with there dogs whether that be keep in them outside kenelled or have them in bed with you at night either way i think you would struggle to tell which one was which when well trained and out in the field.

I have to disagree with you here mate, An animal can only do what you let it or train it, I have trained parrots in the past and the training is nearly the same, the dog can be trained via a clicker, whistle, voice command etc to understand that it shouldn't jump up without an invite as with retreiving (hence why a dog can retrieve freshly shot birds and not birds on cradles or pegged up) etc.

I do believe that a clicker is a bit easier on the ears for getting your dog/animal house trained. A dog that jumps up on people or household goods is a badly trained one.

Hello,

First off congrats on your new pooch I wish you well with it. Just to reference the previous points about dogs on sofas, everyone has there own views. My view is as a pup they are not aloud on them at all. Mainly because they will assume they are aloud on there forever. Mine now as it is a little older may be aloud a cuddle up there if he is clean once in a blue moon for 5 mins. I have done this later in life so he knows that as an adult I am allowing him 5 minutes not the other way round.

He will be aloud upstairs but on the same basis when i say. (I feel up and down stairs is a good way of training a dog to be used to entering steep creeks).

I watched your video of the bird singing. I would take on board the point about reading a good book on spaniel training. It takes a lot of hard work and effort to get your dog to the places you want to go with it. My old dear has had African greys since I was a kid and those 3 birds are still alive now.

The limitations of training a parrot are far closer than a dog. Trust me......most of what parrots do is mimicking (which is generally why they have the sound of your voice down to a tee).

I would if I was you get a good spaniel training book a have a good read of it. You obviously care about the training of the dog so probably best to get the best start you can.

Spaniels are definetly harder to train than parrots

That's why I have a lab ;)

I must say my GWP does have her own sofa :innocent:

And i finally think this forum has hit a new low I thought it had to be a wind up comparing training a parrot to a spaniel, when I realised it was serious well despair set in

I purchased this dvd several months ago when I wanted to try and train my friends spaniel.

http://www.gunshopdi...l-training.html

Lets not get side tracked by people commenting about parrot training when they probally have never even been around a parrot or wild parrot while training is being carried out or the comment wouldn't have been written and If you have experience and know a quicker way then I'm all ears because I have been around them for 20 years and they all take forever to tame.

I'm not talking about training a parrot to talk as they pick that up on there own even if left in a cage and never let out or handled, I'm talking about training a wild avairy bird to become tame and enjoy its time being handled and around people i can promise you that any one who thinks training a pup to retreive is harder than making a wild parrot tame then they have never seen a wild parrot being handled etc.I semi trained a friends dog in 2 months and it can take years to tame a 30-40 year old bird thats never been handled, birds become bored very quick and will pull out their feathers which some never recover from. The bird below isn't even close to how wild I have seen african greys.

Parrots can be taught to do more or less everything a dog can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KpMsGvLNBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc6x8LtlJBY

Edited by Mr Rizzini

Getting back on track, I bought a bag of this for the pup today so what's your thoughts regarding is it a good enough food to use ?

http://www.vetsfoodw...listing ads#655

Should be fine when it is as young as it is, could well give it the squits as it gets older - JWB puppy is very rich and I have had pups grow out of it before they are ready for adult food. Arden Grange is the food I keep coming back to after trying various others.

Should be fine when it is as young as it is, could well give it the squits as it gets older - JWB puppy is very rich and I have had pups grow out of it before they are ready for adult food. Arden Grange is the food I keep coming back to after trying various others.

cheers for the reply matey, Where could I get Arden Grange, Pets at home? Joylles?