My spaniels Journey

Mr Rizzini

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting back on track, I bought a bag of this for the pup today so what's your thoughts regarding is it a good enough food to use ?

http://www.vetsfoodw...listing ads#655

I have a 7 month old springer and she came to me at 10 weeks old on betta which i found was going straight threw her and not putting wieght on her so i tried another 1 that did the same so got a bag of iam`s which she took to very well and has helped with the weight. I would try what you want and see how your pup reacts to it and if not just keep trying one that you think is doing the job. iam`s is around £10 for a 3kg bag and from pets at home online you can get eukanuba for £10 for a 3kg bag both i have been told are really good and also she is a very good looking pup and love her markings. All the best with her.

I have a 7 month old springer and she came to me at 10 weeks old on betta which i found was going straight threw her and not putting wieght on her so i tried another 1 that did the same so got a bag of iam`s which she took to very well and has helped with the weight. I would try what you want and see how your pup reacts to it and if not just keep trying one that you think is doing the job. iam`s is around £10 for a 3kg bag and from pets at home online you can get eukanuba for £10 for a 3kg bag both i have been told are really good and also she is a very good looking pup and love her markings. All the best with her.

thanks for your input hedge hunter, she is a wee bit runny on the JWB at the minute but perhaps thats just the change of food so Ill see ho she is by saturday and maybe try something else like the iam's etc

thanks for your input hedge hunter, she is a wee bit runny on the JWB at the minute but perhaps thats just the change of food so Ill see ho she is by saturday and maybe try something else like the iam's etc

You could also be feeding her a bit much, a "solid start" with a "runny ending" usually means too much going in.

It's a really bad idea to change a dogs food suddenly. You should mix the new with old for a few days. This is even more important with young dogs as they are a bit more sensitive to change.

I would reduce the feeds a little but stick with the new food now she is on it and see how she gets on.

If your not happy take her to the vets.

pup has been on JWB for a few days now and after feeding her half a cup full 3 times a day her stomach looks like a balloon thats about to burst, Is this normal? She also seems to struggle at poo times.

Have you wormed her? Pups need worming at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 14 weeks then every 3 months after. If she was not already wormed by the breeder I would suggest so.

It's a really bad idea to change a dogs food suddenly. You should mix the new with old for a few days. This is even more important with young dogs as they are a bit more sensitive to change.

I would reduce the feeds a little but stick with the new food now she is on it and see how she gets on.

If your not happy take her to the vets.

cheers for the reply mate I'll keep an eye on her. My friend said I might be over-feeding her. She couldn't finish her feed this morning while she would normally be looking more of the pedigree.

Are you soaking the food before giving her it?

no not soaking the food, should I ?

Have you wormed her? Pups need worming at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 14 weeks then every 3 months after. If she was not already wormed by the breeder I would suggest so.

the breeder said he wormed them but to be honest I'm unsure of how honest hes was/is as the dog has a lot of dry flakey skin and perhaps fleas which I have treated with a good quality flea and tick treatment. I will be bringing her to the vet fo her first injections next week so Ill see what the vet says about her. Thinking back I should have held off and got a dog from a honest and trustworthy breeder but I didn't so I'll make sure at least this pup gets the best I can offer her.

Can a pup be wormed again even if it has been wormed? If he was telling the truth then the pup was wormed but can I be safe and worm her a 2nd time to make sure?

At 8 weeks old I personally would not be treating her with and flea and tick treatment unless it was advised by the vet.

I would get her to the vet ASAP for a check up and ask all the questions of the vet you can.

I'm am not being rude, I'm being honest. Please get yourself a good book or two and take the time to read them. It sounds like you rushed into getting this dog. I did the same with my first dog (not a Gundog) but I had dogs as a kid.

I'm sure you will do your best for the dog but you really need to get on top of it while the dog is so young.

Harry

At 8 weeks old I personally would not be treating her with and flea and tick treatment unless it was advised by the vet.

I would get her to the vet ASAP for a check up and ask all the questions of the vet you can.

I'm am not being rude, I'm being honest. Please get yourself a good book or two and take the time to read them. It sounds like you rushed into getting this dog. I did the same with my first dog (not a Gundog) but I had dogs as a kid.

I'm sure you will do your best for the dog but you really need to get on top of it while the dog is so young.

Harry

cheers Harry

I only require general answers hence why Im asking on here as once she gets the best food and is doing well on it then I'm on a straight road regarding her health and the training will be down to me to make happen which I have no doubt about as I see non gundog spaniels hunting through rough ground.

I thought the forum could answer any questions regarding general upbringing as I have a good dvd on gundog training which I'll stick to for that part. If we were all to buy books then there would be no need for this forum :(

Dont suppose you have a book or two lying around I could borrow? Only thing worries me about books is that no two books say the same thing.

A reputable breeder would have given you a feeding chart and at least a days supply of food. No good looking back, soak the food before giving it. I assume you are feeding 4 times a day, if the dog is not clearing the bowl in a reasonable time you are over feeding. Keep with the food you are using until you have visited the Vet as chopping and changing will also cause problems

Bill

Cheers Bill

The breeder was feeding pedigree puppy packs which the dog was fine on but after hearing everyone having nothing good to say about pedigree I thought that I would feed a better quality food. I was feeding 3 times per day and noticed with the new food ( James Wellbeloved puppy) that the dog could hardly finish her meals and started drinking lots of water. I shall start tomorrow morning by soaking her food and see how the belly is by tomorrow evening and if still bloated I'll pay the vet a visit.

A reputable breeder would have given you a feeding chart and at least a days supply of food. No good looking back, soak the food before giving it. I assume you are feeding 4 times a day, if the dog is not clearing the bowl in a reasonable time you are over feeding. Keep with the food you are using until you have visited the Vet as chopping and changing will also cause problems

Bill

:good:

Ok assume the worst case and this is effectively a farmed pup or worse stolen. Not that you can do anything but it sounds like it didn't come from a proper breeder or that it has been well reared. Firstly get it to the vets and see what they say, you need the proper vet prescribed wormer and see what they say about the skin condition. No one on here can tell you any different food won't make much difference if they are full of worms. The other issue is things like parvovirus which can be common in farmed puppies, there are lots turning up over here from Ireland at the moment a lot of which have health issues. At 8 weeks it won't take much to kill it of have long term implications

I don't know of any good springer books but I just searched amazon and there were loads from £3 to £20. Any of the breed books will cover from puppy to adult, breeding to feeding and they all have pretty much the same advice. If you don't want to spend anything try the library.

Have a look at this also.

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/your-dog/living-with-your-dog/your-puppy/bringing-your-new-puppy-home

With a trip to the vet costing £20 before you have any treatment it's worth doing a bit of homework. It will save you money and more importantly be better for the dog.

The only book I have at the moment is about training HPR's so that would not be much use for you.

Harry

Ok assume the worst case and this is effectively a farmed pup or worse stolen. Not that you can do anything but it sounds like it didn't come from a proper breeder or that it has been well reared. Firstly get it to the vets and see what they say, you need the proper vet prescribed wormer and see what they say about the skin condition. No one on here can tell you any different food won't make much difference if they are full of worms. The other issue is things like parvovirus which can be common in farmed puppies, there are lots turning up over here from Ireland at the moment a lot of which have health issues. At 8 weeks it won't take much to kill it of have long term implications

The dog i diff not a farmed dog as I seen both parents which were in good condition, I just think the pups could have been better brought up as they spend there time in a shed from when they were born. Stomach is back to normal so think Ill soak the food so she's getting enough but not to much.

Edited by Mr Rizzini

Oh dear.

Pups can be treated with flea treatment at 8 weeks - you just have to make sure you get the right one. Puppies should be wormed with a decent wormer such as Panacur and Drontal at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks of age. Then every month until 6 months of age then every 3 months afterwards.

Personally I don't worm after 6 months unless I see evidence of worms. However I have started using a new flea treatment (advocate) that treats fleas, worms and mites. Which is a monthly topical treatment.