My spaniels Journey

Mr Rizzini

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pup seems in great health now with skin and belly back to normal :)

That's good to hear mate. You are doing absolutely the right thing by watching your dog and learning - every one is different and what is right for one may not be right for another, even though they are an identical breed. Keep that observation going and you'll make a great team.

How are you getting on with basic training? House trained yet and coming to name?

Hi

The 50 000 trips outside has been paying off the last couple of days, When now in the living room she will 8/10 times go to the living room door and jump up at in and when I open it she goes to the back door to be let out to the toilet so there is a lot less accidents in the house thank god. She has no problems coming to name at all although when she does come over she eats everyone lol. Her poo's have stabled now and are much firmer than before so everything is looking great and I think I may have been over worried at the start.

Thanks for the interest and I'll keep the thread updated on her progress.

That's not what it says on a Panacur liquid suspension bottle, you really must do your researsh better.

What I said was "A decent wormer such as" Does not mean that he should go out and buy it without reading the box. If people weren't stupid they would know that.

And you can use Panacur on pups - our breeder did.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-panacur-dog-wormers-c-17_43/panacur-10-100ml-liquid-for-cats-and-dogs-p-175

;)

Wow, I wish i knew how to use google as well as you.

Well if you did then you would not have tried to tell me I was wrong.

And thats the wormer we used - so not as if I googled something I hadn't already used. ;)

Mr Rizzini - I'm sure I've messaged you them somewhere.

But Lana Mitchell's "Clicked Retriever" is a good book - perfect if you're struggling with "hold".

Helen Phillips books are brilliant. I went on her workshop and she knows her stuff. She also works with clickers.

Can't wait to see more pictures of her.

Edited by ETO

Oh dear.

Pups can be treated with flea treatment at 8 weeks - you just have to make sure you get the right one. Puppies should be wormed with a decent wormer such as Panacur and Drontal at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks of age. Then every month until 6 months of age then every 3 months afterwards.

Personally I don't worm after 6 months unless I see evidence of worms. However I have started using a new flea treatment (advocate) that treats fleas, worms and mites. Which is a monthly topical treatment.

Indeed oh dear, raw feeding and no worming unless they are seen is not the best combination, advocate also does not do all worms so you do need another wormer periodically as well.

Puppy wise Panacur can be used in correspondence with your vet and there is a puppy form of drontal but not the usual tablets.

Personally mine is on advocate monthly and drontal plus every 6 months, but she isn't fed raw where you could pick up tapeworms.

Indeed oh dear, raw feeding and no worming unless they are seen is not the best combination, advocate also does not do all worms so you do need another wormer periodically as well.

Puppy wise Panacur can be used in correspondence with your vet and there is a puppy form of drontal but not the usual tablets.

Personally mine is on advocate monthly and drontal plus every 6 months, but she isn't fed raw where you could pick up tapeworms.

cheers for the reply, She is going to the vet for her first injection next week so I'll make sure and bend his/her ear.

Firstly tapeworm is found in the intestines of animals. All worms die after a matter of weeks of freezing - I do not feed animal intestines to my dogs. Therefore - they do not pick up tapeworm. I have never had a problem with worms with any of my dogs.

Firstly tapeworm is found in the intestines of animals. All worms die after a matter of weeks of freezing - I do not feed animal intestines to my dogs. Therefore - they do not pick up tapeworm. I have never had a problem with worms with any of my dogs.

best do more reading that is where adult tapeworms come from but not the eggs, your dogs can pick up the eggs from raw meat. Thats also assuming they never scavenge anything on a walk either. Responsible dog owners do use a broad spectrum wormer periodically

there's always a smart **** that doesn't offer help but wants to annoy someone else. if you have nothing useful to say on my thread then you would be better saying nothing.
Yes but she spends most of the time quoting things she's read on the net, virtually zero practical knowledge. Whilst she correctly quoted a wormer to use she incorrectly quoted the amount of times you need to dose the pup. Why do i know this? I have a bottle of panacur handy. She really ought to stick to taking pictures of her mutts. My advice to you is just use google if you want this standard of advice. Edited by PERCE

My dogs catch worms from eating raw, gutted rabbit. This has happened a couple of times. Freezing rabbit at -18c works for me, but they get drontal and advocate regularly as well, especially important now that they live near sheep which are a major risk of liver fluke.

Make sure you remove all of the back passage, as I understand it this is where most of the worm in rabbit is.

Edited by PERCE

Yes but she spends most of the time quoting things she's read on the net, virtually zero practical knowledge. Whilst she correctly quoted a wormer to use she incorrectly quoted the amount of times you need to dose the pup. Why do i know this? I have a bottle of panacur handy. She really ought to stick to taking pictures of her mutts. My advice to you is just use google if you want this standard of advice.

Ahh someone who thinks they know me well - how original.

However, when I mentioned the ages that pups had to be wormed - I had rung the vet and talked to several breeders I know, just to be sure. Therefore - first hand knowledge - not off the net. ;)

And I have never had a worming problem with any of my 5 dogs. My oldest is 11 - therefore my zero practical knowledge is now 11 years knowledge - and regardless of what you think, most of what I read on the net is articles, vet, behaviourist, training - the likes. I don't simply google things.

Ahh someone who thinks they know me well - how original.

However, when I mentioned the ages that pups had to be wormed - I had rung the vet and talked to several breeders I know, just to be sure. Therefore - first hand knowledge - not off the net. ;)

And I have never had a worming problem with any of my 5 dogs. My oldest is 11 - therefore my zero practical knowledge is now 11 years knowledge - and regardless of what you think, most of what I read on the net is articles, vet, behaviourist, training - the likes. I don't simply google things.

I think the problem is you have come on a hunting / shooting forum and try and come across as an expert that knows better than everyone on here about all things gun dogs when in reality as you have admitted your self you have never even worked a dog in the field, which is unbelievably arrogant.

You have read some obscure "research" that 95 % of people would think was rubbish and like the op on this post only want to hear what you want to hear and if you don't agree then it must be wrong !

With no experience of working gun dogs and coming on here telling people how to train them then expect some stick....and not a one that you chuck for your dog :santa:

I think the problem is you have come on a hunting / shooting forum and try and come across as an expert that knows better than everyone on here about all things gun dogs when in reality as you have admitted your self you have never even worked a dog in the field, which is unbelievably arrogant.

You have read some obscure "research" that 95 % of people would think was rubbish and like the op on this post only want to hear what you want to hear and if you don't agree then it must be wrong !

With no experience of working gun dogs and coming on here telling people how to train them then expect some stick....and not a one that you chuck for your dog :santa:

I don't throw sticks for my dogs - they are extremely dangerous. Having nearly have a dog choke to death when catching one - I do not throw them anymore. I would expect you, as an evidently knowledgeable dog owner to know that..

I haven't told anyone how to train their dog - merely suggested a different method. I came on here looking for someone to let me have a chance at working my dogs and what did you do - scoff at it and look down your nose because my dogs are crossbreeds and I haven't worked them before. Do you expect me not to put up a front when people decide from the off that they aren't going to give me the chance? You expect me to listen to people who think dogs SHOULD work for them because you bought them. As far as I am concerned there are very few decent people on here and

Anyway Sorry Mr Rizzini - witch hunt has again appeared on your thread. Funny how it happens only to me right.. I do apologise. Perhaps you could speak to the seemingly non existent moderators and have the unrelated posts deleted - mine included as most of them are me having to explain myself - of which i shouldn't have to. :)

No she is not KC Reg but has two hard working parents, Elf has been going forever lol. It is the first Spaniel that I have owned myself although my friend has a spaniel which I had a go at training from 13 weeks - 6 months with whistles although he doesn't use him for hunting he liked seeing him hunt etc and having some house manners.

heres a wee vid I made about how I trained him with 2 whistles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rpQ3J4bdZmk

Can I ask why you use 2 whistles?

Yeah no probs, I used 2 whistles because the expert in the dvd told me if you can drive a car with both hands and feet you can you 2 whistles for your dog however I will only be using one from now on.

I'd look elsewhere other than this "expert" you want one whistle and really its confusing enough when you are out shooting with other people and their whistles you want just the one to reduce the confusion