My spaniels Journey

Mr Rizzini

Yeah no probs, I used 2 whistles because the expert in the dvd told me if you can drive a car with both hands and feet you can you 2 whistles for your dog however I will only be using one from now on.

i think you need to be asking about the correct use of the whistle asap, you blew what is normally a stop whistle when the dog picked the dummy, recall tends to be pip pip pip or pippip pippip pippip.

You also need to grasp that a dog has to act on your one & only command to do something. You told that dog to sit at least half a dozen times either with a whislte & verbally. It either didn't understand sufficently what you wanted or it was ingnoring you. If it didn't understand, you were teaching it bad habits.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think you need to be asking about the correct use of the whistle asap, you blew what is normally a stop whistle when the dog picked the dummy, recall tends to be pip pip pip or pippip pippip pippip.

You also need to grasp that a dog has to act on your one & only command to do something. You told that dog to sit at least half a dozen times either with a whislte & verbally. It either didn't understand sufficently what you wanted or it was ingnoring you. If it didn't understand, you were teaching it bad habits.

I know what you are saying but surely its doesn't matter what command words or whistles is used as long as the dog is taught with the same command each time? The dog in the video was my friends and therfore I couldn't keep on top of the training as I only seen it for a while at random times and then when it went home its owner let it do its own thing thats probally why he was ignoring me and not to quick to listen. All things considered I thought he done well for 8 weeks training. Out of interest what would you do when the dog ignores your command and how would you prevent the bad habits?

You can have both voice & whistle commends, just don't keep repeating them when the dog ignores you. What your video shows is quite a complex event but it doesn't appear that you've mastered any of the basics that are required to make the whole thing happen. If I was you I'd be trying to find a gundog trainer locally to help you. One of the best ways to get on board with a trainer is to buy a dog off them but in your case, unfortunately, this ship has sailed.

Don't give up :no: you have to be an optimist to even try to train a spaniel :lookaround: the dog will show you the errors of your ways as you train it you will be learning at the same time as the pup be warned though once you start you will end up owning more than one. :lol: A.t.b.

Cheers all. Think I'll just a buy a dog thats trained already.

cheers for replies everyone that helped.

I thought you had just bought a dog ?

Even if you buy a trained dog you will still have to learn how to control it on the whistle so a good book or visit a trainer and get some pointers before doing anything. If the pup in the picture is yours then there is plenty time for either first.

I thought you had just bought a dog ?

Even if you buy a trained dog you will still have to learn how to control it on the whistle so a good book or visit a trainer and get some pointers before doing anything. If the pup in the picture is yours then there is plenty time for either first.

I now have the dog sitting on voice command to receive a treat and I will fade out the treat in return for a pet and some cuddles in the next week or so.

yeah I have just bought a pup but all I hear on this forum is negative comments about everything. I am not in a position to be able to afford to go to a trainer as I lost my job a few months ago and thought since I have plenty of time on my hands that I could perhaps train a dog to keep me company and save my legs a little on the stubbles next autumn. I bought a shooting times spaniel training dvd at £30 but it doesn't show anything regarding basic training i.e sitting, house manners or anything, Its all about gundog training.

really loosing your job the worst thing you did was buy a puppy they can be expensive things, the trainer is the way to get the dog you really want as they will work to your dog and know what needs to be worked at. Forums are just full of opinions and its not the font of all knowledge try your DVD read any books you can on the subject and go from there

I taught the pup to sit using this method although my pup doesn't sit as calm or quickly as this dog as she is busy jumping about the place but after about 10 sits she was sitting down straight away.

really loosing your job the worst thing you did was buy a puppy they can be expensive things, the trainer is the way to get the dog you really want as they will work to your dog and know what needs to be worked at. Forums are just full of opinions and its not the font of all knowledge try your DVD read any books you can on the subject and go from there

Can't be anymore expensive than running a reef tank ;)

I now have the dog sitting on voice command to receive a treat and I will fade out the treat in return for a pet and some cuddles in the next week or so.

yeah I have just bought a pup but all I hear on this forum is negative comments about everything. I am not in a position to be able to afford to go to a trainer as I lost my job a few months ago and thought since I have plenty of time on my hands that I could perhaps train a dog to keep me company and save my legs a little on the stubbles next autumn. I bought a shooting times spaniel training dvd at £30 but it doesn't show anything regarding basic training i.e sitting, house manners or anything, Its all about gundog training.

It is a bit naff that a "shooting times" spaniel training DVD was about gundog training ! i would ask for your money back :blink:

pick 1 book or 1 training dvd and stick to that, dont chop and change between books / dvd's

proffessional gundog training by joe irving is a good book, the david lissett springer spaniel trainng dvd is also good

concentrate on the stop whistle, this is probably the most important command............. its usually one continuous pip. to train him/her when you feed the pup, hold the bowl up at waist height, walk towards the pup and as he/she looks up to the food bowl he / she will probably naturally plant said backside on the ground ............ as you see it about to happen give a gentle continuous pip ............ you dont need to blow it hard, just a gentle continuous pip ............. repeat this each time you feed.

there is also a wealth of stuff on here pinned from new to the flock, you would not do too badly just going through those and using them

I am a member of my local Gundog society. Annual membership costs £5 and training sessions are about the same. There are hundreds of people who go along and you can learn loads just watching them. You pick up training friends, ground to train on and more importantly people you can ring up for free friendly advice.

Google for the area you live. Training advice does not need to be expensive and professional.

Harry

I am a member of my local Gundog society. Annual membership costs £5 and training sessions are about the same. There are hundreds of people who go along and you can learn loads just watching them. You pick up training friends, ground to train on and more importantly people you can ring up for free friendly advice.

Google for the area you live. Training advice does not need to be expensive and professional.

Harry

Thanks Harry

I have googled my area but can seem to find anything. I will keep looking, I have plenty of good ground to train my pup on but would be great to meet people who actually can see what I'm ding right or wrong.

cheers I'll get googling.

Is this whole thread a wind up?,surely it is?. Is the shooting times dvd by Harry Hardwicke?.

Have you anything usefull to add to the thread mate since you claim to have a very good spaniel because after browsing your posts I have found it hard to find one useful one. Why don't you tell me how you got your spaniel so good and maybe you will even feel better for helping someone instead of being as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

cheers for the link but I seen most of them and they are wrong part of the country for me :(

I have emailed a few of them asking for any info they may have on other clubs closer to me :)

Mr Rizzini, i live in belfast and have a 6 month old lab. If you get any good information of clubs i would appreciate if you could post them on your thread.

Cheers in advanced.

Mr Rizzini, i live in belfast and have a 6 month old lab. If you get any good information of clubs i would appreciate if you could post them on your thread.

Cheers in advanced.

To be honest when I find someone who knows what they are at to help me I wont be wasting my time writing things here for the trolls to ramble on. My dog is a 9 week old springer and with your's being a different breed and age I think things would prob need approached different, I may be wrong here but thats my thoughts and perhaps with your dog being 6 months you should be getting into some training now as Im sure my info will be very slow.

Edited by Mr Rizzini